Ship repair question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jwolf

Ship repair question

Post by jwolf »

See the screenshot below. I have an APA at Rabaul that seems to be in the process of fully repairing itself, even though I thought that would be impossible with the facilities it is using. The ship arrived at Rabaul some time ago with a few points more of float damage -- I think it was 17. While at pierside mode, it has repaired several points of float damage. I do have an ARD available at Rabaul, but I didn't put the ship in it. For that matter, the repair manager even claims that the ship would repair fully in readiness mode if I wanted to do that. How is that possible, with so much float damage? I do have a lot of naval support there, more than 700 points. Is that it?

Attachments
Rabaul.jpg
Rabaul.jpg (88.38 KiB) Viewed 78 times
dcpollay

RE: Ship repair question

Post by dcpollay »

The APA will be able to (slowly) repair any non-major damage be itself, wherever it is located. In addition, large bases have the capacity to repair some levels of major damage, even without a shipyard. If Rabaul is built up, this may be the case for your APA.

There are other types of damage that cannot be repaired this way, such as large gun turrets. I don't know the mechanics of it, but I'm sure someone else will chime in if you need.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

The screen shot states that it will not repair the major damage on the APA, which is correct.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

It is repairing the major damage, while in pierside mode. Here is a pic from 8 days earlier, showing 13 points of float damage, all major.

Attachments
Rabaul2.jpg
Rabaul2.jpg (77.46 KiB) Viewed 78 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

deleted - I missed something in the OP.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

It shows 13 major previously, and now 10.

I don't know why that's happening - it shouldn't be under "normal" conditions.

It's probable that it's the ARD being allocated to repairing the ship.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Read the Ship Repair 101 Guide.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2990845&mpage=1&key=repair&#2990845

Alfred
RichardAckermann

Post by RichardAckermann »

In short, unused repair ships are using themselves, as far as I know.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Ports sized 7 can repair up to 5 “major” flotation or engine POD on ships which are in “pierside mode”.
Alfreds 101 repair guide

port 7?
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

Ports sized 7 can repair up to 5 “major” flotation or engine POD on ships which are in “pierside mode”.
Alfreds 101 repair guide

port 7?

Exactly -- and Rabaul is indeed a level 7 port -- so that's why I am confused that the higher major damage is being repaired in this case. I'll take another look through Alfred's guide; maybe the comment above that the port is using the ARD, whether I like it or not, is the issue.

When I brought the ship to Rabaul, my plan was to repair the minor damage and then either use the ARD or send it to Pearl. But when I saw that all the damage was being repaired in pierside mode, I just left it that way.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Undocumented Rabaul bonus perhaps?
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I read that as meaning it can take the floatation down ONLY five points. No?

Which makes one wonder if this is true, what stops one from forming a TF and switching back to pier side for further repair...
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

In Pierside mode the ARD is working on the ship if not already dedicated on this role therefore you don't see any # next the days.
If you switch mode to Readiness the major damages won't be repaired.
RichardAckermann

The ETA for readiness does not have an # attached. Would indicate even readiness fixes the major float damage using the ARD. Or is the ETA wrong and the # appears as soon as you put the ship in readinessmode?
The port cannot do. Even large ports cannot fix major damage above 5 AFAIK.
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

In the screenshot the APA is in Pierside mode, the other ships in Readiness have only 1 Sys damages therefore you don't see the #.
RichardAckermann

Negative. The APA is "selected". The ETA for repair at "Repair estimates(days)" should read "Readiness: 58#," if it cannot be fully fixed in that mode.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I do have an ARD available at Rabaul, but I didn't put the ship in it.

Your APA is 7930 tons. In 'pierside' mode the ARD will automatically have the ship 'inside' if no other needs work and is itself of sufficient size. You should see a message in your ops report to this effect. It was one of the last changes MichaelM made to get rid of some kind of annomaly (I forget what) with ARD's.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”