Still learning

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

tverse

Still learning

Post by tverse »

In an attempt to learn this game, I have been reading rkr1958 AAR and not wanting to throw off his presentation I thought I would ask my question here.
So in his post #175 he is showing two attacks and I have been working through these to see if I can get to the odds that are shown. I believe I get it except for looking at the attacks they appear to have some units attacking over a seas hex side (as in #1 below) and a river hex side (#2 below). If this is correct should there be a modifier for attacking over these types of hexes? and If there is a modifier then I am at a lost for calculating the odds.

Attachments
hexsiides.jpg
hexsiides.jpg (186.31 KiB) Viewed 60 times
AAR Carry out Operation Husky
tm.asp?m=4420472
Centuur

RE: Still learning

Post by Centuur »

If an attack takes place during the surprise impulse, rivers and canals don't half the attacking units combat factors.
Peter
tverse

Post by tverse »

Ok thanks. That helps!
tm.asp?m=4420472
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Also, attack #1 is a canal hexside, not a sea hexside. Note the straight lines of the canal, not the wavy lines of a coastal hex. You can't attack across a sea or lake hexside (unless frozen). You can always attack across a canal, which for land movement and combat is identical to a river.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: tverse

In an attempt to learn this game, I have been reading rkr1958 AAR and not wanting to throw off his presentation I thought I would ask my question here.
It's certainly ok with me if you want to post questions/comments in the AAR. I'm a firm believer in that the only bothersome questions are those that aren't asked.
Ronnie
tverse

Post by tverse »

Thanks Ronnie, I’ll do that next time.
tm.asp?m=4420472

Return to “World in Flames”