How to cut the toporedo wire

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

jirik

How to cut the toporedo wire

Post by jirik »

Hi,

is it possible to cut a torpedo wire or self-destruct the torpedo on a command? Let's suppose I am stalking a submarine and I fire 2 torpedoes at her. If it is destroyed by one of them I'd like to get out of the area as fast as possible but I am limited to 10 kts speed as I've the other torpedo on the wire.

Is there a cut or self-destruct command hidden somewhere in the UI?

Thanks a lot for help

J.
Andrea G

RE: How to cut the toporedo wire

Post by Andrea G »

I think that if you simply accellerate above 10kn the wires are parted automatically, but I don't know of any self-destruct pushbutton.
jirik

Post by jirik »

I am afraid it is not the case - at least 1.14 takes care to keep you under 10 kts speed and cannot be overriden.
Andrea G

Post by Andrea G »

ORIGINAL: jirik

I am afraid it is not the case - at least 1.14 takes care to keep you under 10 kts speed and cannot be overriden.

I was sure that it happened to me unwillingly, if it's as you say then a "do not part wire" box like "avoid cavitation" would be a most useful addition on the next upgrade.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

From the 1.14 feature thread...

" New feature: Torpedo wire breakage. Submarines, in addition to their "standard" turn rate, now also have a "crash" turn rate (+25% of nominal) which is used only for weapon evasion. If a sub is controlling wire-guided torpedoes while it makes a crash turn or while its speed is over 10 knots, the guidance wires may break, with the weapons going autonomous.
(The player does not need to manage this manually. AI-controlled subs guiding torpedoes always stay within the wire limits automatically unless they come under weapon attack, in which case they ignore the wire limits and go all-out.) "

Looks like it is automatic and out of the control of the player. I never tried it before. The funny thing is, since I play in the editor, If I have a torpedo go well past the target, I delete it. I assume it's the same as sending a self destruct or cutting the wire. Never really thought of it before this thread.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

I had an incoming enemy torp and it still didn't cut the wire (reported). It's an issue that needs to be fixed.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Not seeing a report anywhere. Is there an address I can look at?
BrianinMinnie

Post by BrianinMinnie »

Question, if I fire a torpedo at a Hostile, and an active sonobouy is dropped relatively nearby, I would like to increase to flank (and break the wire) to get quickly below the layer.

Doesn’t the wired torpedo limit prevent me from doing so unless a torpedo is dropped nearby, forcing my sub defensive in which case it will go to flank and auto break the wire?

I cannot post a sample report from my current location.

Thanks
HaughtKarl

Post by HaughtKarl »

I've noticed the same as well. If you have a wire guided torp in the water you can't intentionally break the wire as your speed is limited to just 10kts max which can't be override by the player. Changing depth and big courses changes won't break the wire either.

What does break the wire is launching a torpedo at 11kts and above.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4438256&mpage=1&key=&#4438256
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4438256&mpage=1&key=�

Thanks.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: BrianinMinnie

Question, if I fire a torpedo at a Hostile, and an active sonobouy is dropped relatively nearby, I would like to increase to flank (and break the wire) to get quickly below the layer.

Doesn’t the wired torpedo limit prevent me from doing so unless a torpedo is dropped nearby, forcing my sub defensive in which case it will go to flank and auto break the wire?

I cannot post a sample report from my current location.

Thanks

Let's add another button (to cut the wire). It's not like we have eleven billion of them already.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I don't think we need a button. Just cut it automatically if you increase speed, if possible.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn »

Yeah just have it autocut if you manually go over the wire limit (speed, depth, angle etc.)
I've found myself in the same situation and having to play sitting duck while everyone is rushing at you because you can't just launch a snapshot and run away is kinda frustrating
BrianinMinnie

Post by BrianinMinnie »

"Let's add another button (to cut the wire). It's not like we have eleven billion of them already."

My intention was not come across as a jikyjak, I was checking to see if I'd missed something in relation to self-breaking the wire prematurely, to help stay alive.

B
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

Let's add another button (to cut the wire). It's not like we have eleven billion of them already.

Attachments
Pilots_com..d_center.jpg
Pilots_com..d_center.jpg (96.41 KiB) Viewed 254 times
Cik

Post by Cik »

doesn't really even look that bad

as long as there's a control stick, and it's connected to some sort of instrument of destruction, i'm at home.

note: it doesn't have to be designed to be an instrument of destruction to be an instrument of destruction
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

I suspect that a lot of the improvements in the Virginia class have to do with taking advantage of touch screens to better organize stuff. Earlier submarines were basically just walls and walls of dials and blinky lights. I kind of like the ruggedized laptop there, just for good measure.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Both forward and aft. However, being a qualified Shift Test Engineer on 688 class (both old and improved (719 and up) ), there's benefit to those rows of gauges and blinky lights. We trained over and over from memory to be able to walk into Maneuvering and in 10 seconds pick out the gauge or light that was "wrong" (wrong being out of position for the current plant condition). They were designed to have more or less the same position at normal operating conditions. All nicely pointing the same way.

If you have to call up info on a screen, you lose some of that. Although digital versions of some of that remain.

Up forward - that's another world that I don't deal with :-) Forward stuff. The stuff we push around the ocean with our wonderful nuclear powered engine room.

(All in good fun, for any submariners out there)
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen
I suspect that a lot of the improvements in the Virginia class have to do with taking advantage of touch screens to better organize stuff. Earlier submarines were basically just walls and walls of dials and blinky lights. I kind of like the ruggedized laptop there, just for good measure.

I was getting ready to ask why there are overhead pipes and gauges at your home office.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”