Late to the show - should I buy the base game boxed version?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

alphington

Late to the show - should I buy the base game boxed version?

Post by alphington »

I have recently bought COW and I'm hooked. So the obvious move is now to buy the base game. I prefer to buy from Matrix and as an old timer, the idea of a getting nice box to sit on the shelf and a printed manual has some appeal. BUT, this is the really expensive choice (especially with postage to Australia) and the manual is obviously a bit old now as evidenced by the substantial addendum documents SO, I wondered what folks here would do in my position - go ahead and buy the box set and ageing manual or just buy the DL version? This looks like a great forum so I hope my first post is not too boring a question to all you experienced players [:)]
Gunner98

RE: Late to the show - should I buy the base game boxed version?

Post by Gunner98 »

I gave up on boxed versions 15-20 years ago. PDF manual is searchable, and you don't need to store the box or pay the shipping and duty costs.

Personal preference though.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
AlGrant

Post by AlGrant »

Personally, I'd go for the D/L version from Matrix.

It is also available via Steam .... but I'm not a huge fan of Steam (for no particular reason that I could provide a solid argument! - I guess it's just age [:D])
GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Haven't owned a boxed copy of a game in probably 15 years. Postage alone would deter me.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I have the box version Personalize disc Manual fits inside dvd box and white writing on black. I bought my copy on release. Is it worth now? maybe maybe not. As you said postal to Oz is steep. If cash is tight D/L version is fine.
Formerly Goodwood

goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Hey Alphington you don't live there by any chance?
Formerly Goodwood

SSN754planker

Post by SSN754planker »

Steam version. Its simple to install, and updates itself. DLC's are installed when you buy them and you dont need to keep track of activation codes. You can add the third party DB picture and the community scenario pack with ease. I prefer it to the matrix version for those reasons, although i do own both. The matrix self installed version is the one i do my beta testing with, when i actually want to play the sim i use the Steam version.
MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

alphington,

Welcome to the CMANO community. You will likely have many, many enjoyable hours with this simulation!

I have lots of boxed versions of games, starting from the 1980's. Other things being equal I will usually get a boxed version and download updates. That said, I found CMANO online and purchased the download directly from Matrix. They regularly update the documentation with new releases.

Like AlGrant, I prefer not to use Steam. Updates seem to be more quickly and easily applied from Matrix and overall fewer picky problems. However, there are lots of Steam users who swear by it.

Anyway, personally I would recommend downloading from Matrix especially given the additional cost of sending a box to your home.

However you choose, enjoy it!

-Wayne Stiles

[center]CMANO[/center]

Attachments
Recommended.jpg
Recommended.jpg (31.53 KiB) Viewed 379 times
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Only box I need is the "travel casket offered by government"...

It comes free, but only when you are bit...dead [:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

alphington

Post by alphington »

Many thanks for all these welcoming and helpful replies - this definitely assists me in deciding. White writing on black would not be my preference so good info there thanks, goodwoodrw. I'm leaning to the weight of opinion expressed here being a DL version from Matrix (I'll maybe wait and see if they have an Easter sale). I have some products via Steam but it feels more like renting than owning - just my feeling - and I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer here. I will continue to try and avoid the 'wooden box version' for as long as I can (thanks, Sardukar)!
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: alphington
I have some products via Steam but it feels more like renting than owning - just my feeling -
It's a good point in fact. I don't know the legal status (licence ownership) of having the games on steam as compared to buying them directly. What if Steam bankrupts for example ? Could we lose all the library ? What do you think ?

*EDIT*
Here is a discussion about this question:
https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac- ... -28558069/
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

@goodwoodrw,
you're not a Batman voter like me, are you???
as for opening post, download all the way. Au$ always kills me for exchange rate and postage.
(although made an exception for MWIF and WitP AE)

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”