Soviet Fighter Bombers and another production question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

vernvonspud2

Soviet Fighter Bombers and another production question

Post by vernvonspud2 »

Is it worthwhile to train new fighter bomber squadrons to be bomber and not train them to be fighters given the immense IL2 production? Just looking ahead to 1944 when the Luftwaffe is diminished and I could switch some fighter bombers over to ground attack. I see where if they are trained for fighter they suffer in ground attack and vice versa. Just looking at having enough air squadrons to rotate through the meat grinder.

I think the IL2 is the day time workhorse but I see where the U2VS is an attrition/disruption machine. Given that, I am not sure if it is worthwhile to look at frames like the YAK9T and P63A in a bomber (fighter bomber) role.

Is it still true that 34% of supply goes into production and that each 200 men need 1.01 supply? I have been reading a lot of posts and that seems to be where it stands.

Thank you very much for your patience with me. I am really looking forward to playing someone online but want to make sure I am ready to be a competent adversary.
"I prefer peace, but if trouble must come - let it come in my time so my children may live in peace."
Thomas Paine
Telemecus

RE: Soviet Fighter Bombers and another production question

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: vernvonspud2
Is it worthwhile to train new fighter bomber squadrons to be bomber and not train them to be fighters given the immense IL2 production?

Do you mean the converse - given the immense number of Il-2 bombers you will have you are better off getting other aircraft to be fighter trained?

You have a hard limit of (I think) 600 air groups as Soviets. So if you do reach a point where you have overwhelmed the Luftwaffe you would want your bombers to be IL-2s and not anything else. Anything less than that and you will need fighters to defend them.

Usually a fighter bomber is less good at bombing than a dedicated bomber but is more agile so can escape being shot down. So is really there for when the bombers cannot get through an enemy air defence.
ORIGINAL: vernvonspud2
Is it still true that 34% of supply goes into production and that each 200 men need 1.01 supply? I have been reading a lot of posts and that seems to be where it stands.

That is not necessarily true but probably true if you are hitting the right balance of arms production and having a big army. And how much supply 200 men need depends on how they are equipped too - again probably right if you have the optimum army. A lot of this comes from research by loki100 which is good stuff. It may need to be updated though as we get to know the changes in the latest version of the game.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

Is it worthwhile to train new fighter bomber squadrons to be bomber and not train them to be fighters given the immense IL2 production? Just looking ahead to 1944 when the Luftwaffe is diminished and I could switch some fighter bombers over to ground attack. I see where if they are trained for fighter they suffer in ground attack and vice versa. Just looking at having enough air squadrons to rotate through the meat grinder.

I think the IL2 is the day time workhorse but I see where the U2VS is an attrition/disruption machine. Given that, I am not sure if it is worthwhile to look at frames like the YAK9T and P63A in a bomber (fighter bomber) role.
FBs are pretty ineffective at bombing.
Would have thought the best value for admin points is to raise the right number of whichever type of plane you want long term - fighters/FBs, Tacs and U2VSs
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

In the early going as the Soviets, I set all the I-type fighters to bombing and put the IL-2's on night missions during the German turn. That way they don't get pulverized by German air interception and the Germans get big frequent flyer miles (and thus high fatigue levels) shooting down fighters I don't really care about. And occasionally, they do have an impact on battles. During my turn, I set the IL-2's back to day missions, often using them for attacking German airfields if the Germans haven't set up their anti-aircraft defense effectively. Then, about turn 10 or so, German fighters start going back to national reserve because they have fatigue levels of like 75, and I can start using the IL-2's for ground support, just when we are fighting for ground I really want to hold. And the I-153's and I-16's are mostly gone, often through automated replacement (costing me nothing).
vernvonspud2

Post by vernvonspud2 »

OK thank you all for your info and insight. Really starting to love the depth of this game.
"I prefer peace, but if trouble must come - let it come in my time so my children may live in peace."
Thomas Paine
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Too be honest everyone has a different approach. Playing as the Soviets in 41 is an absolute drudgery and the only effective weapon you have may be the Soviet Air Force. I use up every obsolete Tac airframe possible and do train some fighters as bombers...I use the Hurricanes for that...because afterall Soviet fighters are hopeless.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”