The Last Bid

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

UP844

The Last Bid

Post by UP844 »

THE LAST BID - German side

As usual, let's see the Victory Conditions first.
I need 8 points for a draw, 10 for a Minor Victory, 12 for a Major.
8 VP hexes (1 VP each) are in two factories I named the horizontal (west) and the vertical (east) one.
The last VP hex is on the northern edge on the map, but there is plenty of time (21 turns) to take it.

The German forces (and the visible Russians) already on the map include the following.

From the west edge of the map to the horizontal factory:

A medium-to-low quality German force (1st and 2nd line squads), poorly led (2xC leaders) and armed (2xHMG) facing a slightly better armed (more MGs, ATRs) Russian force.

Horizontal factory:

A strong German force of Engineers and Fallschirmjagers, well-led (an A*** leader and many others), lavishly equipped with LMGs, FTs and DC, facing a mixed infantry and engineer Russian force.

Vertical factory:

German forces here are to be set up by the German player. See below. The Russian defenders appear to be another mix of engineers and infantry, but unlike the horizontal factory the building is larger and the VP hexes are in the interior. This would mean taking lots of Defensive Fire at 1 hex, but there are no alternatives.

From the vertical factory to the east edge of the map:

Some German Elite squads facing Russian 1st Line infantry/SMG squads.

German player set-up:

The German player can freely set up a force consists of Fallschirmjagers, well-led (2 ** leaders and a lot of lesser ones), heavily armed with MMGs, LMGs, FTs and DCs south of the factories.
Armor support is present, with two StuG IIIB and two sIG 33 (a 150mm infantry howitzer mounted on a PzIII chassis, in a closed structure). The StuG's wouldn't be very effective against the factories, but they can be useful against wooden buildings. I do not intend to risk my AFVs moving in the field of fire of AT guns (I see none, but I am sure there are plenty) but in any case the StuG's will always be the first to enter new areas.
Artillery support includes an 80mm and a 100mm OBA: I do not trust artillery as reliable support anyway, and in such close quarters a barrage scattering the wrong way could be deadly for my troops. Besides that, such light calibers should have very little effect against the factories. I will assign the 80mm OBA to the west wing and the 100mm OBA to the attack force.

Basically, this is my plan:

Two killer stacks with a ** leader and three MMGs each, are meant to suppress enemy MGs; the AFVs will also provide covering fire and this could - hopefully - allow the assault elements to close with the enemy.

The rest of my troops will break through at the weak points between the two factories and on their sides and will surround the buildings to prevent the escape of anyone inside (large green arrows). During this process, they will neutralise any AT Gun or weapon they meet to allow AFVs to advance and support them (this is called the combined arms approach [:D]).

Once the factories are surrounded, the assault elements will enter them: the impossibility to retire should turn many routs into casualties and speed up the bloody affair. I expect to take heavy losses anyway in this kind of combat, but I have neither time nor the means to reduce the factories to rubble and burying the defenders.

The two wing forces will attempt something similar - on a smaller scale - to fix the Russian wings in place, preventing them from relieving the factories and to escape.

Turns 1-4:

Despite some setbacks (a StuG III killed by a Russian ATR! When I fire ATR at tin cans like BT-5 I always get "failed to penetrate") everything went according to the plan: the infiltration went very well, and the Assault Engineers took most of the Horizontal factory with amazing speed.
The infantry neutralised several 45mm and 76mm AT Guns, and in turn the sIG 33s destroyed many Russian MGs and mortars, providing valuable support for the infantry.

The west wing engaged the Russians, but was hampered by its poor leadership, with up to 50% (and sometimes more) of the troops OOC.

The east wing performed much better, and quickly displaced the Russian units facing it.

Turns 5-8

The horizontal factory is taken, the vertical one is surrounded. After the infantry had cleared the east side of the vertical factory, the AFVs advance and take position on the east (sIG33) and north (StuG) sides of the factory and start pounding it.
The German infantry enters the factory from three sides and some turns of vicious close combat follow. Much to my pleasure, many Russian squads fail to rout, while the German ones simply retreat a few hexes to locations where they find some low-level (or wounded) leaders wait for them. At the end of turn 8, the vertical factory is cleared. Only a couple broken squads managed to escape the encirclement, and both of them suffer CR as they route in open terrain under a hail of fire.

The west wing continues to fix the Russians, who do not appear too willing to counterattack.

The east wing discovers and neutralises a 76mm AT gun and starts probing north, looking for any sign of Russians but finding none.

Turns 9-12:

During the night, the German infantry moves northeast towards the last objective: I expected to find a defense in depth, but there is nobody stopping the attackers and the last VP hex is held by a single squad, supported by a 76mm gun and an 82mm mortar, which are quickly overran by the Assault Engineers and by the west wing forces.

Since this is a Rico's scenario, I cannot believe it can be such a milk run: if the Russians are not on the map, they would be arriving soon. The arrival of no less than six Panzers on turn 11 (magenta Pz IV icon) certainly means I'm going to need them to stop a Russian steamroller.

The last night turn is spent bracing for the Russian counterattack: I believe it will come from the north, so I set up a triple defensive line, anchored on stone buildings and trenches, with the sIG 33's in support.
A small but heavily armed garrison takes position in the vertical factory, in case the Russians come from the west.
Even though I have covered the most likely attack axis, I could be wrong, so I deployed several HS along the west edge of the map and along the Volga bank. These are only meant to give warning in case of a Russian attack.
The Panzers will remain near the vertical factory in reserve, ready to move to any threatened sector: the Pz IV F2's will have no trouble dealing with T-34's and even the Pz III J have a decent chance at such close ranges.

The lone remaining StuG III B moves west to help eliminating two Russian squads who are barricaded in a fortified building, keeping a large part of the German west wing pinned there.

Turns 13+

As the sun rises, the Red Army makes its appearance (red T-34 symbol): much to my surprise, the Russian counterattack consists of a single T-34 and two T-70s: one of the sIG 33s (!!) destroys the T-34 and one of the T-70s with HEAT rounds and a DC attack eliminates the other T-70. The Russian artillery made an impressive show on an empty stretch of real estate between the vertical factory and the Panzers, adding some extra shellholes to the map. I have neither seen, nor heard any infantry moving: where are the Russians?

The German leaders in the west finally manage to have all of their units in C&C range: with most of the units taking part in the combat, the heroic Russian defenders start feeling the German numerical superiority (9 squads, 2 HS with 2 HMGs and a StuG vs. 2 squads, a C* leader and a HMG).
A couple HS (remnants that rallied at the start of the day) attempt to help the besieged comrades, but they are quickly broken, surrounded and eliminated.
On turn 15, the fight for this house is over, at last.

Nothing happened in the last six turns [>:]; the game ended on turn 21 with a German Major Victory, obtained at a relatively low cost in casualties (see the kill ratios below).

Final considerations

Squads 21.5 / 78 (1:3.62)
Leaders 1 / 14 (1:14) (the loss of all the leaders meant Russian broken units were effectively lost. If the Russian had one or more leaders in their rear, they could have rallied some of the few stragglers).
Crews 0 / 12 (Germans had no crews, Russians lost all of theirs and 3 MOL, 3 76mm AT, 4 45mm AT and 2 82mm MTR)
AFVs 1 / 3 (1 StuG III B killled by ATR / 1 T-34 and 1 T-70 killed by sIG 33, 1 T-70 killed by DC).

Infantry/AFV co-operation worked perfectly: with the exception of the ATR shot that unexpectedly killed one of the StuGs, all other AT weapons were neutralised by infantry and never once fired on my AFVs [:D]. The latter, in turn, provided very effective fire support, blasting away Russian heavy weapons with remarkable effectiveness and making life much easier for the infantry. Even though the sIG 33's reduced a pair of factory hexes to rubble, I didn't dare to have them enter the rubble hexed to blast the factory interior hexes, as I was afraid to see them immobilised (I forgot their immobilisation would be repaired at the start of the second day).

The Russian deployment left me a bit puzzled: it has no depth, and after the outer crust was pierced, the Germans easily surrounded the factories ands ran across the map at will. The Russian counterattack was much too feeble to achieve anything: even without the killer sIG, the German elite infantry armed with FTs and DC (and with excellent leaders providing negative DRMs) would have easily destroyed the three Russian tanks anyway.

Attachments
LAST_BID_AAR.jpg
LAST_BID_AAR.jpg (422.59 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
UP844

RE: The Last Bid

Post by UP844 »

The Last Bid - Russian side

The OOB's are as above. I suspect the German AI will have some extra units. The Russian player has no units to set up (STAVKA knows better than us, I suppose).

I do not expect tactical finesse from the AI, just a straight charge into the objectives. Even this can be dangerous, given the huge amount of firepower the Germans pack and the presence of their AFVs, so I decided to take some steps to deny the AI its advantages by fighting as close as possible. I intend to vacate the outer hexes of the factories and let the German in, and then kill them with Defensive fire at 1-hex range. This would men they will have to take two or three rounds of fire in the Defensive Fire segment and another in the Fire Segment before the survivors (if there are any) could reply.

Before doing so, however, I sent my political officer to the rear areas with the very important task to find the treasonos scum who used our copies of Krasnaya Zvezda to make cigarettes, depriving we frontoviks of the last news.

The west wing will attempt stopping, or at least delaying, the Germans facing its position that - I am sure - will join the attack on the horizontal factory.

The east wing will do the same with the German east wing.

The screenshot below shows the situation at the end of the first day: the Germans repeatedly entered the factories, only to be wiped out by close-range fire and routed (explosion icons). The AI has some more sIG 33 (three or four more than the human player), but so far they had not found many targets and are milling around in the area south of the horizontal factory (a pair of them had become bogged in the debris hexes). The German AFVs attempted to pass through the narrow passage between the two factories, but lost a StuG and a sIG 33 to 45mm fire; another sIG was immobilised by a 45mm AT gun which was in turn pulverised by a 150mm HE. Despite their increased number, so fare they have not been a big threat.

The AI was so kind to attack from the south-west, passing through a killing zone under fire by a MMG, a HMG and an 82mm mortar. It killed a 45mm AT gun, but a 76mm is being manhandled there to replace it.

Loss ratios at the end of Turn 8 are (German/Russian):
Squads 14 / 9
Leaders 1 / 0
Crews 0 / 3
AFVs 3 / 0

(continues)

Attachments
LAST_BID_RU.jpg
LAST_BID_RU.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 145 times

Siegfried Sassoon

UP844

Post by UP844 »

Night and Second day (turns 12-21)

The AI also does not know the meaning of "fair play": it relentlessy attacked through the night.

After their initial attempt to infiltrate between the two factories, German AFVs remained in the area south of the vertical factory and essentially played no part in the battle, as did the very few Russian tanks: the T-34 never fired once and spent the whole game guarding the east side of the vertical factory with a 76mm AT gun, but German tanks never appeared. The T-70s made a long trip and attempted slowing the Germans coming from the west, but the combination of excellent cover for the enemy units, weak gun, C&C and radioless penalty made them essentially useless.

In the horizontal factory, the German stopped attacking after taking heavy losses with its Assault Engineers early in the morning of the second day. Towards the end of the game (turn 19) the AI made a half-hearted attempt using 1st Line infantry (probably some units coming from the west), but it was easily repelled by the Russian garrison.

In the vertical factory, the AI attacked appeared to have an inexhaustible supply of units to throw into the fight; only at the very end of the scenario the German units started showing some sign of wear, attacking with stacks containing many HS (the impressive stack near the southernmost VP hex is so high because it mostly consist of HS).
The southernmost VP changed hands many times during the second day: the Russian faced a crisis when, starting in Turn 14, the German artillery bombarded the factory with remarkable accuracy, with perfect laser-guided, drone-spotted and computer directed strikes that lasted until turn 18. This allowed the Germans to gain a foothold in the factory. Attempting to retake the VP hex would have meant to play the target role I envisaged for the German, against units with more firepower than my ones and with at least a * leader (besides the leader DRM, this means they will suffer no Cowering, so I can expect a minimum of two fire attacks by them). So I didn't even try to retake the VP hex until the very last turn, and I left the Germans attack and take horrendous losses.

The west wing attempted to delay its German counterpart, but since the AI was not hampered by C&C so it managed to escape and annihilate the supposed blocking force, even though it lost time doing this and didn't arrive in time to help the attack on the horizontal factory. Russian losses in this sector, however, were very high.

At the end of the game, the loss ratio was much more balanced then in the previous game I played using the Germans.

German / Russian losses
Squads 43.5 / 38
Leaders 3 / 4
Crews 0 / 4
AFVs 4 / 0

A few notes about the AI:

1 - the German tanks spent most of their time starting and shutting down their engine without ever leaving their hex. I suppose this behaviour is linked to the fact that all VPs are in building hexes they cannot reach? Would adding VP hexes in negotiable hexes make th Panzers more active?

2 - the AI units almost never fire in the Advancing Fire segment when they move in a building hex. This makes life much easier for the Defender, who can make up to four fire attacks (First/Final/FPF + Fire phase) before the survivors reply in their Defensive fire.

3 - the German leaders behaved very well: none of them charged alone and - from what I have seen - they rallied the AI broken units rather efficiently. I have noticed sometimes the AI moves stacks containing two or three leaders: probably, this happens when several leaders move to rally some broken units and then remain with those units. Is it possible to avoid this occurrence somehow?

Attachments
LAST_BID_RU-2.jpg
LAST_BID_RU-2.jpg (886.84 KiB) Viewed 145 times

Siegfried Sassoon

UP844

Post by UP844 »

Last Bid II - German side

I'm sorry folks, but I had no time to take detailed notes about this game.

Basically, I launched an all-out attack on the German east flank, piercing the Russian line, while the rest of the German line exchanged fire with their Russian counterparts.

After the Russian east flank disintegrated, part of the German forces continued straight north to get the northermost objective. The others turned west and attacked the Russian line from the rear.

As soon as I took some VP hexes, the Russian started counterattacking (not everyone, as too often happens: I suppose some units have the "DEFEND HEX" order).
The Russian tanks made a Balaklava-style suicide charge: the PzIII killed the T-34 and one of the T-70, the other stopped just 1 hex away from the Pz IV F2, which obligingly shot it to pieces [&:].
The Russian infantry attempted to run to the rescue of their threatened line, but the counterattacking force was wiped out by HMG/LMG fire directed by * or ** leaders (yes, I read the Designer's Notes of SL back in 1977 and I can still quote them [:D])

Anyway, I only managed to get a Victory on turn 8, so the scenario is quite challenging. The loss ratio (1:3 for infantry) is somewhat higher than the usual value, but I had to take some risks given the short time and the appalling terrain (moving more than 2-3 hexes per turn is almost impossible).

Attachments
LAST_BID2_GE.jpg
LAST_BID2_GE.jpg (841.95 KiB) Viewed 145 times

Siegfried Sassoon

fuselex

Post by fuselex »

general gameplay ?
An improvement ?
UP844

Post by UP844 »

I have not yet installed v.1.0.97, as I am currently playing "Last Bid II" with the Russians and I don't want to restart from turn 1. As soon as I finish this game, I will install 1.0.97 and report about any discoveries I make.

Playing with the Germans, "Last bid II" is certainly much more challenging than the original "Last Bid". Unlike the latter, where a decent German player can obtain a Major Victory much earlier than the last turn, the short duration of "Last Bid II" means the German must take some risks to win. On the other hand, Rico clearly stated he reached the maximum allowed number of units in the first scenario, so he wasn't able to add Russian reinforcements.

The Russian deployment in "Last Bid II" has some depth, and this makes the sort of "infantry blitzkrieg" I adopted earlier somewhat difficult to achieve: this time, in fact, I adopted a not-so-sophisticated sledgehammer approach on the east wing [:D], with much fire and very little movement (until I managed to blast my way through the Russian east wing).

Definitely, the sequel is better than the first instalment.

Siegfried Sassoon

Return to “After Action Report”