Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

RE: Newbie

Post by Kuokkanen »

More games from John Tiller

Yeah, there are heck of a lot war games available. Many good ones are available for free. Battle for Wesnoth is a community created game at its finest, and is a better game than many commercial ones.

[edit]
Another free game, historical one, is Field of Strategy. Player plot movements, but units choose autonomously who they attack.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
dukebadgerman

Post by dukebadgerman »

That Wesnoth game is cool! Thanks for the tip.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Battle Academy 2 maybe?

Decisive Campaign Barbarossa

TOAW4
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

You are looking for a game called Small General. It can be played on phones, and other tablets as well as computers.

It's downright beginner friendly.

Seconded the nomination of Small General as a first step into the digital gaming world. Incredibly intuitive UI and a fun game with some challenging scenarios.

Before someone else jumps in and yells at me - it is NOT the be-all and end-all of digital wargaming. It's a great first step into digital wargaming.

Review of SG Eastern Front http://grogheads.com/review/456
Review of the generic base game http://grogheads.com/review/2093
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 was mentioned above. I highly recommend this, it is one of my favorite Matrix games. A great thing is that it is still actively supported with updates etc. The developer Ronald Wendt has done a great job with this game and has made changes based upon player feedback.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

I can recommend the JTCS pack. It should be cheap as chips by now and... well, you like Panzer Leader etc. Be aware... that, for some reason, even nowadays some new Linked Campaigns for JTCS pop up... recently, some good stuff from my fellow fatherlanders! - See the Hauptkampflinie blog.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I agree. Its unlikely one a f the complex grognard wargames will be suited for a newbie. That's something to progress too.

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

You are looking for a game called Small General. It can be played on phones, and other tablets as well as computers.

It's downright beginner friendly.

Seconded the nomination of Small General as a first step into the digital gaming world. Incredibly intuitive UI and a fun game with some challenging scenarios.

Before someone else jumps in and yells at me - it is NOT the be-all and end-all of digital wargaming. It's a great first step into digital wargaming.

Review of SG Eastern Front http://grogheads.com/review/456
Review of the generic base game http://grogheads.com/review/2093
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I agree. Its unlikely one a f the complex grognard wargames will be suited for a newbie. That's something to progress too.
You don't say? I recall somebody commenting that WitP:AE is perfect game for beginners [8|]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

ORIGINAL: dukebadgerman

That Wesnoth game is cool! Thanks for the tip.

Wesnoth is completely awesome - I didn't mention it above b/c I was thinking of groggier games.

The base included campaign is excellent, but the Rise of Wesnoth is even better. The Tale of Two Brothers is a nice, short campaign, and The Northern Rebirth was a lot of fun.

There's a ton of great campaigning you can do in Wesnoth, if you into a fantasy wargame/RPG hybrid like that.
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

Konstantine

Post by Konstantine »

Hi dukebadgerman,
Like you, Tactics two was the first A.H. game I ever played and it was the start of everything. There are lot's of excellent games here and I have a few of them (must remember to register them now that I've joined the forums)

I can't say much about easy/introductory, after all that is defined by both your skill as a player and your desire to learn a game. I do however suggest you check out the various tittles that are WEGO. It is a far more satisfying system than the traditional IGOUGO. Basically, you issue orders to your units and so does the AI, when you press end turn those orders are executed at the same time. This leads to a lot of interesting situations as the enemy is very often not where you expect, it is also far more realistic though it can be tense. Check out Civil War 2 or Birth of America if you can. They both have a learning curve but include enough smaller scenarios that will allow you to gradually increase your proficiency with the games.

Return to “General Discussion”