OT - Squares, not only hexes!!!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AlessandroD

OT - Squares, not only hexes!!!

Post by AlessandroD »

In a couple of days the World Chess Candidates tournament will start, eight players will "fight" to be the Magnus Carlsen challenger in November, more detail here.

Levon Aronian (Armenia)
Fabiano Caruana (USA) formerly Italy [:(]
Wesley So (USA)
Sergey Karjakin (Russia)
Ding Liren (China)
Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (Azerbaijan)
Alexander Grischuk (Russia)
Vladimir Kramnik (Russia)

I don't know if someone can be interested but it will be a top notch tournament!

LargeSlowTarget

RE: OT - Squares, not only hexes!!!

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Only squares? No hexes, no waypoints, no altitude settings, no logistics, no weather, no die rolls, no random events etc. ?

Seems to be a rather simplistic and boring game in comparison [:'(] [;)]
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Only squares? No hexes, no waypoints, no altitude settings, no logistics, no weather, no die rolls, no random events etc. ?

Just brains! And, being Norwegian, I shall certainly follow it. Cool to see who shall be the challenger.

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

My bet: Caruana or So or Mamedyarov, it's a pity that Vachier-Lagrave is out.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

A good place to follow it is https://en.chessbase.com/
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

It has also been live streamed on the Twitch Chess Channel - including w/ commentary by GMs / IMs. If it is not live, you can also watch VODs of past broadcasts.
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

I would add another site to follow the games: Chess24
There are a GM and a IM as commentators.

The old player Kramnik (in chess standards of course) is leading with 2.5/3, Caruana e Mamedyarov follow wih 2/3.
Only one game has been a quick draw.
Today turn 4.
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Quick update:

Caruana is leading with 5/7, Mamedyarov 4.5/7, Kramnik, Grischuk and Ding 3.5/7.
I would say that all other players are out of competition.

Half of the games have been played, today turn 8.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

With 1 game left Caruana leads Mamedyarov and Karjakin by a half point. Chinese player Ding is a half point point further back but still has a chance to win on tiebreaks.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/candidate ... mamedyarov
ericv

Post by ericv »

I am an avid 2000 rtd chess player and follow this with great interest and enthusiasm. Having said that, if you look back on the history of chess, many times, the new world champion was expected to become it before he became it. ie Fischer. Kasparov. Also Carlsen. I remember when Kramnik became world champion, he was expected to take over Kasparov's crown.

Of all the 8 players attending, and also the ones not attending, MVL, Naka even Ivanchuk, my favorite player, no one at the moment comes close to Carlsen in classical chess, he is just a genius. (The only other true genius active at this moment is Ivanchuk, but that;s another story entirely.)

Karjakin might have almost beaten Carlsen a couple of years back, but still Carlsen, according to Giri, is a piece stronger than the rest.
So my prediction: No matter who wins, Carlsen still outclasses everybody else at the moment.

ericv

Post by ericv »

@allesandroD

I know a couple of years back Caruana had the Italian flag going for him, but in Chess circles, the story is, he was born in America and was there his entire life?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”