OT: Amelia Earhart found

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MakeeLearn

OT: Amelia Earhart found

Post by MakeeLearn »

Amelia Earhart found on the island of Nikumaroro.

New forensic analysis indicates bones were Amelia Earhart's

Date: March 7, 2018
Source: University of Tennessee at Knoxville
Summary:
Bone measurement analysis indicates that the remains found on a remote island in the South Pacific were likely those of legendary American pilot Amelia Earhart, according to new research.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 115506.htm

Attachments
Earhart.jpg
Earhart.jpg (122.14 KiB) Viewed 195 times

MakeeLearn

RE: OT: Amelia Earhart found

Post by MakeeLearn »

"Along with bones found in 1940, a search party discovered part of a shoe judged to have been a woman's, a sextant box designed to hold a Brandis Navy Surveying Sextant, manufactured around 1918 and similar to the one Earhart's co-pilot used, and a Benedictine bottle, something Earhart was known to carry."

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Attachments
Earheart_web.jpg
Earheart_web.jpg (47.31 KiB) Viewed 195 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

"Bones discovered on Pacific island are '99% certain to be hers' says scientist"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... xpert.html

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Nikumaroro.

Attachments
68823119.jpg
68823119.jpg (18.35 KiB) Viewed 195 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Nikumaroro.

Attachments
LOPmap.jpg
LOPmap.jpg (31.22 KiB) Viewed 195 times

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

I'd like to believe this, but TIGHAR has claimed to have found her many times over the past 20+ years.

To be clear, this claim is based on bone measurements and estimates, not on DNA. All they 'prove' is that they could be her bones, but that's not the same as proving they are her bones.

There is also the question of whether she had enough fuel to reach Nikumaroro.

I'd like to hear other forensic anthropologists weigh in on the technical aspects.
spence

Post by spence »

The map above shows her plane to be approx 300 miles off course to the SSE. Pilots start to get nervous (for some reason) when their gas gauge gets down to about to about a quarter tank so estimates of fuel vs range are always conservative.

Unless Earhardt checked in at some way points along the way a simple compass error could explain a Nukumaroro diversion (by the time they reached there any land at all would be a welcome sight).

Seems to me they had (as most planes in 1937) a magnetic compass. One's magnetic heading is a function of magnetic variation (which accounts for changes in the magnetic field of the earth) plus magnetic deviation (which accounts for the change in the compass resulting from the magnetic material in the airplane/ship itself). Magnetic variation is USUALLY predictable by latitude but may change depending on locally magnetic material in the earth itself.

My father flew ASW patrols off Brazil during WW2. One of the stories he told was of a squadron plane that flew a sector search but was supposed to stage for a second search out of Ascension Island and then RTB in NE Brazil. They had a compass error which caused them to miss Ascension several times. They flew around the island a couple of times before they were eventually talked in by radar on Ascension. They were "burning fumes" when they managed to land.
spence

Post by spence »

Then again this recently "discovered" photo supposedly shows Earhardt and Noonan and the plane, says they crash landed in the Marshall Is and hangs their fate on the Japanese. I've never heard that this photo was discredited but that doesn't mean it hasn't. Anybody know more?

Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (8.86 KiB) Viewed 198 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: spence

Then again this recently "discovered" photo supposedly shows Earhardt and Noonan and the plane, says they crash landed in the Marshall Is and hangs their fate on the Japanese. I've never heard that this photo was discredited but that doesn't mean it hasn't. Anybody know more?

Someone who watched the TV show went to the researcher's website to get the photo, then did an image search for the photo. It was found in a Japanese travel book/guide published in the mid to late 30's.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Someone who watched the TV show went to the researcher's website to get the photo, then did an image search for the photo. It was found in a Japanese travel book/guide published in the mid to late 30's.
warspite1

To be fair, someone with their back to the camera who looks like they may be female surrounded by non-military looking peeps in an unidentified location at a time and place unknown - and that was mysteriously found in a file. Well it JUST HAS TO BE Amelia!!!
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Dili

Post by Dili »

I read the news an i am not convinced at all about this "discovery" with reanalysis of 1941 analysis - of bones that in meantime disappeared.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

ORIGINAL: Dili

I read the news an i am not convinced at all about this "discovery" with reanalysis of 1941 analysis - of bones that in meantime disappeared.
So the bones are not available for DNA testing? That just about pins my BS meter to the stop peg [8|]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yep, perfect example of how a person dedicated to proving a theory will do what is necessary to make it so. Some evidence but not near anything conclusive. Just another sighting of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker...
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
spence

Post by spence »

http://journals.upress.ufl.edu/fa/article/view/525/519

The link is an analysis of the scientific evidence linking Amelia Earhardt to the Nikumaroro bones in light of a comparison of the forensic methods available in 1940 (when the missing bones were found) to those of today published in the Journal of Forensic Anthropology.

Convincing arguments but I'd prefer DNA evidence.

A Japanese travel guide for the Marshall Islands? Come see our brand new military facilities? During the period of Mandate there was a large influx of Japanese to Saipan but from what I've read I'm not convinced that this immigration included the Marshall Islands much.

Coincidentally there was a thingie about the Earhardt Controvery on the TV this morning which discussed "The Photo" which does say it dates from a Japanese travel guide in 1935 so I guess the photo evidence is discredited after all.

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

The map above shows her plane to be approx 300 miles off course to the SSE. Pilots start to get nervous (for some reason) when their gas gauge gets down to about to about a quarter tank so estimates of fuel vs range are always conservative.

Unless Earhardt checked in at some way points along the way a simple compass error could explain a Nukumaroro diversion (by the time they reached there any land at all would be a welcome sight).

Seems to me they had (as most planes in 1937) a magnetic compass. One's magnetic heading is a function of magnetic variation (which accounts for changes in the magnetic field of the earth) plus magnetic deviation (which accounts for the change in the compass resulting from the magnetic material in the airplane/ship itself). Magnetic variation is USUALLY predictable by latitude but may change depending on locally magnetic material in the earth itself.

My father flew ASW patrols off Brazil during WW2. One of the stories he told was of a squadron plane that flew a sector search but was supposed to stage for a second search out of Ascension Island and then RTB in NE Brazil. They had a compass error which caused them to miss Ascension several times. They flew around the island a couple of times before they were eventually talked in by radar on Ascension. They were "burning fumes" when they managed to land.

Amelia did not have a quarter tank of fuel to burn. She was right at the limit of a Lockheed Electra's endurance. And, having flown 3/4 of the way around the world, Fred Noonan knew how to compensate for magnetic variation/deviation. They had the best available equipment.

All this has been exhaustively analyzed over the last 80 years. The 'mainstream' belief is that they could not have reached Nikumaroro. Google it if you're interested.

The Nikumaroro evidence is tantalizing but inconclusive. The truth is unlikely to ever be known. [:(]
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

They are basing it on more than just bones.

"Along with bones found in 1940, a search party discovered part of a shoe judged to have been a woman's, a sextant box designed to hold a Brandis Navy Surveying Sextant, manufactured around 1918 and similar to the one Earhart's co-pilot used, and a Benedictine bottle, something Earhart was known to carry."

And a part of the plane found in 1991 from the uninhabited Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro, located some 350 miles southeast of Howland Island.
https://www.history.com/news/researcher ... arts-plane

Attachments
hithEarha..planeAB.jpg
hithEarha..planeAB.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 195 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Although some differ,
Aircraft Fragment Likely Not Amelia Earhart's, Says Investigator
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedormi ... f9acab4bc7

spence

Post by spence »

Amelia did not have a quarter tank of fuel to burn. She was right at the limit of a Lockheed Electra's endurance. And, having flown 3/4 of the way around the world, Fred Noonan knew how to compensate for magnetic variation/deviation.

Earhardt had a modified Lockheed Electra 10E which had a significantly longer range (4500 miles) than the 10A model. Gardner Island was a flyspeck in the midst of the Pacific. Having no reserve fuel upon arriving in its supposed location would have been criminally stupid. Noonan may have had the best available equipment for 1937 but it seems I've heard of some planes that got lost. Magnetic variation is depends on the earth's local magnetic field. Although he generally knew how to apply it to correct his magnetic compass neither he nor anyone else had complete knowledge of local variations along his route (why was flying around the world such a big deal back then if the Pacific had been completely explored).
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Amelia did not have a quarter tank of fuel to burn. She was right at the limit of a Lockheed Electra's endurance. And, having flown 3/4 of the way around the world, Fred Noonan knew how to compensate for magnetic variation/deviation.

Earhardt had a modified Lockheed Electra 10E which had a significantly longer range (4500 miles) than the 10A model. Gardner Island was a flyspeck in the midst of the Pacific. Having no reserve fuel upon arriving in its supposed location would have been criminally stupid. Noonan may have had the best available equipment for 1937 but it seems I've heard of some planes that got lost. Magnetic variation is depends on the earth's local magnetic field. Although he generally knew how to apply it to correct his magnetic compass neither he nor anyone else had complete knowledge of local variations along his route (why was flying around the world such a big deal back then if the Pacific had been completely explored).
All this has been discussed ad infinitum. I'll wait to see what other knowledgeable people have to say.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”