Season 1: 'Official' Tourney Pyramid

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

nnason

RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread

Post by nnason »

Sent email
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Sorry nnason, I missed that.
"You have to practice what you preach"(RONALD BELFORD SCOTT)
IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

Hi guys - open for a game in the ladder - PM me if interested
IG

[X(]
KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

Irishguards: I think pretty much everyone but you and me are locked in a game. Either you convince someone else to join the tourney or issue me a challenge.

I'm just one floor above so I'm a valid target! [:)]
johanssb

Post by johanssb »

Hi,

I'm open for a game in the ladder. Is there anyone waiting for an opponent ? I can play either side.

Johan
IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

sent you a pm johanssb
IG
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

Hi everyone!

I have to admit that it makes me pretty happy that more and more players are joining our system. The more players we are the more fun we will have.

Unlike Twilight Struggle this game misses online statistics (W/L ratio or something like an ELO rating). I still hope for someone with enough html skills to set up a simple ladder/pyramid that shows the actual rankings of our group.

So thank you everyone for bringing this to life. Spread the news about our turney, encourage others to join and play and keep playing and challenging other players.

"Oderint, dum metuant."
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Hi,

I'm up for a game - its a fair while since I had an SC start. 39 scenario preferred.
johanssb

Post by johanssb »

Game Started.

Tourney Game #1: johanssb (allies) vs IrishGuards (axis) GameID104824
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

another ladder start SoE version 12.1

Ironclad is the nazi swine
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Is one allowed more than 1 tourney game at a time?
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Is one allowed more than 1 tourney game at a time?

Just one at a time. Else it could get a bit chaotic tracking players' ranking. [:)]
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

I'm ignorant about spreadsheets etc, but I don't see why [&:]. Surely rankings are only affected by finished games, and it would only be potentially confusing if there are 2 or more concurrent games vs the same opponent.
web exchange

KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

I'm ignorant about spreadsheets etc, but I don't see why [&:]. Surely rankings are only affected by finished games, and it would only be potentially confusing if there are 2 or more concurrent games vs the same opponent.

Player 1 is at level 2. He challenge player 2 at level 3. While this is ongoing, player 1 receive a challenge from player 3 from level 1. Player 1 has already one loss at level 2, so one more loss sends him back to level 1. Now let's say he wins vs player 2 he technically gets promoted to level 3... but what if he loses vs player 3... technically he supposed to be sent down to level 1. Now let's say he finishes his game vs player 2 first than proceeds to challenge a player on level 4 before the game with player 3 is concluded...

Now imagine all players doing the same.

Like I said, it would be a mess. Nothing stops you from playing exhibition games if there's not enough SC 3 in your life. [;)] But for simplicity sake, let's keep it one tourney game at a time. Also raises the stakes of all tourney games since you can't spam them. [:)]
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

what everyone is free to do (if you ask me)

play a mirror game!
The overall winner is the one who wins with both sides. Time is tie breaker. so one win by august 1943 and one loss by summer 44 are better than one win by summer 43 and one loss by somewhere later than summer 44.

Still love it how many players we already motivated playing ranked games!
"Oderint, dum metuant."
KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

ORIGINAL: LLv34Mika

what everyone is free to do (if you ask me)

play a mirror game!
The overall winner is the one who wins with both sides. Time is tie breaker. so one win by august 1943 and one loss by summer 44 are better than one win by summer 43 and one loss by somewhere later than summer 44.

Still love it how many players we already motivated playing ranked games!

Yeah mirror game are fine. Both games would be considered 1 match.

Personally I'd save those for special events (Grand finale or top rung matches) but I'm not opposed leaving the option open for players.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

Player 1 is at level 2. He challenge player 2 at level 3. While this is ongoing, player 1 receive a challenge from player 3 from level 1. Player 1 has already one loss at level 2, so one more loss sends him back to level 1. Now let's say he wins vs player 2 he technically gets promoted to level 3... but what if he loses vs player 3... technically he supposed to be sent down to level 1. Now let's say he finishes his game vs player 2 first than proceeds to challenge a player on level 4 before the game with player 3 is concluded...

Now imagine all players doing the same.

Like I said, it would be a mess. Nothing stops you from playing exhibition games if there's not enough SC 3 in your life. [;)] But for simplicity sake, let's keep it one tourney game at a time. Also raises the stakes of all tourney games since you can't spam them. [:)]

I get it now [&o]
web exchange

BPINisBACK

Post by BPINisBACK »

Game against Sugar finished.
As it was clear since spring 1942, Axis wins and get a Total Victory in July, 1943.
So, Sugar: CONGRATULATIONS! A new victory for you.
In 1943, almost all the axis fleets were moved to the French border next to the English Chanell (also in BENELUX) and they obliterate the south and center of England.
As it was said before. A very unwavering game for Sugar.
His axis focused on Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe (remember that 4th level tanks in 1942!!!) despising Kriegsmarine.
His forces advance at all times gently but forever. He never breatk throught the soviet lands asymmetrically, the border was homogeneous. With no rush.
So, he made very well. A perfect plan, i guess.
What could i do?
Well, Sugar thinks that nothing. And i must confess that if the German Commander don't make mistakes, Germany must win the war. But my duty, as the Allied Commander, is to "force" him to make mistakes. And i never could.
Maybe, in the beggining of the game i spend a lot of british money in naval war (i guess that more than 2.000 MPP). Of course, I didn't know that Sugar will not fight the Atlantic war. Only in late 1940 i focused on earth and air tech. What could i do with that money? Yeah, more diplomacy on Spain (sooner) and maybe less disavantage in air war. But, who knows...
Regarding my soviets, I think i did my best. I think i build more units than ever (before Barbarrosa), i focus on AA, infantry, armor & industrial tech. No research on air or naval (of course) tech. I could made many fortifications and any of the main cities fall in the first year (probably because Sugar didn't want to). I never had more than 80 units. But the technology gap (and experiece) with german was so huge...
In 1942, i was ready to make "something" to temp Sugar... I started my traditionally bombing campaing with the western allies with five SB (lvl 3 for US, lvl 2 for British). It was quite succesfull, but very short... I was thinking in double operation: to bomb Germany and France and, at the same time, to land in Norway. My focus was to force Sugar to move back some units of his Luftwaffe to France/Germany and that this was a "light" relief for soviets.
I was trying to land in Norway because it's an easy target for British and because i wanted to try a "Scadinavian Gambit" as Sweden was "quite" easy to joing the allies if i put more diplomatic chits on the country. That's the reason because i sent 1/2 of the Siberians to the north of Finland, to cut the land communications from Finland and Sweden and to prevent a CA over the country once it joins the allies. Soviets did well (it's was easy) and they get some cities in the north of Filand.
But... after some bombing i discovered (it was shocking) that there was ANY GERMAN FORCES in BENELUX and western GERMANY.
Of course, i had any chance to make a deep offensive over Germany with my little western forces. But i cancelled the land in Norway and i land in Holland and France. I thoung i will head off more axis forces in this way that with my previous plan.
What was the problem...? That Germany had sooo many good units that Sugar could take a bunch of planes and tanks and mech units back to Germany and kill quickly my little expeditionary force and, on the other hand, he made a big advance in Russia, conquering the three main cities in a few weeks.
Since that, war was lost (more than ever).
I tried to hold in Caucasus, and some other eastern places in order to receive more soviet forces (and to get more tech advances) and i tried to build a real threat for the axis planes in Britain. But, of course... it was too late.
Well, maybe with a better investment of that British MPP and some other changes in tech with the western allies i could made more, but... if the German Commander don't make ANY significant mistake and he is able to play calmly. War is lost for allies.
Your way of playing, Sugar, remember me to Terif and the big players of SC1 and SC2... Do you know them?
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

Any conclusions? I only read a bit of your game but it sound similar to what I experienced when playing vs sugar.

I think there is one thing worth trying it. Usually I build up a good air force with the USA first. In my next game I will try to research a bit less and build some infantry instead. Maybe it works if someone manages to attack with US infantry in 1942. I don't know where but you can try the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, France, Algeria --> then to the east to threaten Italy or even Egypt. In any case these troops should be more competitive and should be a distraction for any Axis player.

I'm not sure if it is the right way to do but the distraction is a MUST. If you let players like sugar do what they want they go for a victory in 1943. Same pattern. slow but steady advance until Leningrad/Moscow/Stalingrad are done. Meanwhile the DAK captures Egypt and then massive bomber attacks soften up everything around London and finally the paratroopers come in and take the city. Deceisive Victory!

The only way to survive a bit longer is to distract the German forces. If any Axis player has to deal with a second front early enough that might be the time the USSR needs to get strong enough.

That's theory so far...

I'd love to hear what sugar would do to himself if he wants to speak about it. In fact I'm asking to tell us how to beat him. Not sure if that is his first intention ;)
"Oderint, dum metuant."
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

If no counter is found to that strategy, then either game designers will need to take a look at it, or the game will be all but unplayable.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”