Detection

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

sherlock1

Detection

Post by sherlock1 »

Playing a submarine scenario How would you know if your detected by a enemy sub or surface ship?
ExMachina

RE: Detection

Post by ExMachina »

torpedo [:D]
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

Playing a submarine scenario How would you know if your detected by a enemy sub or surface ship?

They shoot a torpedo at you?

If you show the enemy underwater sensor rings you can get a sense of how far away they might be able to see you, but that's often the worst case scenario. You can often get closer than that. It's really a question of how much risk you are willing to accept.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

It's elementary, you just use your powers of deduction [;)]

In real life as in the sim, the enemy's behaviour is what is going to tip you off. If nearby surface units fire up their active sonar and start moving faster, then they might have detected you. Or they could be trying to scare a nervous sub commander into giving away their position. Not knowing whether you've been detected is just as much an issue in reality as it is in CMANO.

As others have mentioned, the gold standard of detection indicators is the incoming torpedo. All the other indications are based on what the bad guys are doing and are subjective based on the situation.
Cik

Post by Cik »

i don't know about you guys, but i've always kind of leaned towards surfacing the sub and getting my megaphone.

get the intel guy aboard who speaks russian and yell at them "HAVE YOU GUYS DETECTED US?"

strangely enough they always answer yes though, i think perhaps sub stealthiness is very far overrated.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Im am playing the crown jewels scenario and am on my second try, on my 1st try I tried my luck and dared to go above 5 knots within passive sonar range of a surface ship, I immediately got a flash message to say that I may have been detected and then every ship headed towards my sub and I died very quickly...

Maybe with subs its best to say "no news of good news" and if the enemy are still patrolling slowly in there assigned routes "keep calm and carry on"

Cheers

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”