Strategy?

The King or the Parliament? Choose your side and take command of the Cavaliers armies or the Roundheads and the Covenanters.
dukewacoan

Strategy?

Post by dukewacoan »

I am looking for some overall strategy hints. I can get a lot of territory loyal, but I don't sense I know where I am really headed or whether I am really making progress.

Anyone compiled some strategy guides? Things like specific and general goals? How to manage replacements? Etc?
Symple

RE: Strategy?

Post by Symple »

Not a strategy guide but a few ideas.
Oxford is essential to the king as London is to parliament. While London has a decent garrison, Oxford does not. The king needs to keep a strong army to defend Oxford.
This is a game of small seiges, not major battles, but your armies must be organized for battle.
Leader placement is important. I often put good leaders inside of forts as extending sieges if very beneficial. I try to insure each for has a solid leader, but I also look to make certain promotable leaders head a small army. For instance, you want Cromwell to become an army commander.
I hoard resources and make very few purchases. In part this is because this game is very stingy about resources, but also targeting a single replacement might be game winning.
Take objective cities and convert their loyalty to at least 51% your side as then you gain their resources.
I think of this game as a game of Go. It is about denying your opponent control of the board while gradually occupying the map with your own markers.
dukewacoan

Post by dukewacoan »

How do you deal with the large Parliament army at the start. I consolidate Charles with as much as can be had and he is beat first Spring 50% of time.
Symple

Post by Symple »

This is an essential concern. I gather in Oxford with force marching. Only way I can make the Royals work. And you have to be lucky.
dukewacoan

Post by dukewacoan »

I took Oxforx per your suggestion. Built up Charles there but still beat when Essex rolled in with 9000 men. Not sure whether to go in town with Charles. Or garrison with smaller force and then pull Charles north.
Mi seem to have a hard time holding some fortresses. I’m assuming all I have to do is enter building to garrison?
Symple

Post by Symple »

I suspect you are talking about play against AI while I am explaining play in a pbem game. Remember you must retake Oxford if you cannot initially hold it. Find an alternative resource and fort rich area in which to build. Maneuver to build objective regions. When strong enough, retake Oxford or take London.
Garrisons are linked to loyalty. You can enter and your force will garrison and make the structure viable, but ultimately you want to convert the region to at least 51% loyalty as then you get an auto garrison which you can ultimately incorporate into your main army.
dukewacoan

Post by dukewacoan »

Yes, I am playing vs AI.
Symple

Post by Symple »

I think as the Royals playing versus AI you have a really tough go. Oxford is the resource center you must hold. So you have to find a means to get AI to focus on another region. I would select a region adjacent to London which you can reach by the end of turn two with any force, even a small cavalry force. A threat to London has to take a priority in AI movement. This might provide time to take Oxford and secure it with entrenchments. In one pbem game when I was playing as the Parliament, we agreed I would not attack Oxford as it seems to easy for the Parliament to take this essential Royal city. A threat to London might achieve the same end.

Return to “English Civil War”