What Dos games do you still play today?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

What Dos games do you still play today?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Now that we know your first an original dos game; what one or ones do you still play today?

MrsWargamer

RE: What Dos games do you still play today?

Post by MrsWargamer »

Hard to say which games are truly dos designs sometimes.

Once something runs on Windows, is it still a dos game?

I think the oldest games I will 'try' to play, are Steel Panthers, V4Victory, Construction Set 2 Tanks, Steel Panthers 3 (if the download cooperates), original Civilization and original Heroes of Might and Magic (often just for the nostagia hit). I have a few titles on the site mentioned in another thread that might interest me if they cooperate.

I think I am likely among many when I say, often older titles from a long way back, run better than a lot of supposedly 'better' programs of today.
I've seen the comments, the AI was better, the simulation superior, all while having seemingly dreadful graphics when compared to today's fare.

In a lot of cases, older software is amazingly similar to older board games. Not as complex, complicated and glitzy, and yet, better at providing the fun.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

1944 Across the Rhine, Battles of Napoleon, Carriers at War 1/construction kit/II, Action Stations, Task Force 1942, Great Naval Battle Series, Wolfpack, Sub Battle Simulator and Command Aces of the Deep - the dos game era really was best when it came to naval strategy i think
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Not to be repetitive, but after a long hiatus, started playing the SSG games starting with Battles in Italy. I couldn't believe the moves the AI was pulling off. Pretty disappointed in the "progress" of the AI in the latest wargames. Not sure if SSG were DOS games though.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Once something runs on Windows, is it still a dos game?

Depends on the version of Windows. Before Windows 2K, it was largely an overlay on DOS.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Great Naval Battles Vol. III Fury in the Pacific.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

Carriers at War 1 & 2 + Construction Kit, Action Stations!, Panthers in the Shadows, Tigers on the Prowl II, F-14 Fleet Defender Gold, Gunship 2000, Falcon 3 Gold.

Edit: I forgot "Master of Magic"; basically Civilization + Magic: the Gathering. The strategy guide was as thick as a phone directory; I still wonder where (or when) I lost it :(
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

most of mine, through out the year, but mainly Arnhem
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Rosseau
....Not sure if SSG were DOS games though.
SSG (Strategic Studies Group) made many DOS games. Check out the list of SSG games on Moby Games (games released before 1996 were either DOS games or for some other system).

I still play Master of Magic, but mostly the GOG version on my Windows 10 computer. The only DOS games I remember playing under DOS recently have been Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon and Ascendancy.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

AEGIS: Guardian of the Fleet, cool game! [;)]
https://classicreload.com/aegis-guardian-of-the-fleet.html
sanch

Post by sanch »

Sid Maier's Railroad Tycoon (original version - 1989) - challenging game!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Heroes of Might and Magic II
ORIGINAL: sanch

Is it in some way better than Railroad Tycoon Deluxe? Or don't you have the Deluxe game?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Now that we know your first an original dos game; what one or ones do you still play today?

Lords of the Realm
. And every x years I reinstall and play episodes of the Monkey Island™ and / or Maniac Mansion™ series. Lechuck is indeed my archenemy.

Attachments
lechuck.jpg
lechuck.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 392 times
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
sanch

Post by sanch »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Is it in some way better than Railroad Tycoon Deluxe? Or don't you have the Deluxe game?

Deluxe was an embellished version of the original. I have a suspicion (but don't know for certain) that the Deluxe was dumbed down a little bit. It does seem easier to win on Deluxe, but that's just one opinion. I will happily play either.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

The only DOS game that I have played recently is Age of Rifles.

Attachments
AgeofRifles.jpg
AgeofRifles.jpg (174.64 KiB) Viewed 392 times
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Carriers at War 1 & 2 + Construction Kit, Action Stations!, Panthers in the Shadows, Tigers on the Prowl II, F-14 Fleet Defender Gold, Gunship 2000, Falcon 3 Gold.

Edit: I forgot "Master of Magic"; basically Civilization + Magic: the Gathering. The strategy guide was as thick as a phone directory; I still wonder where (or when) I lost it :(

I'm looking at my Masters of Magic guide now. Amazing I still have it after all these years It is thick; man what happened to guides and manuals like that?
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Oh still love that old Masters of Magic, noticed there a new one on Steam was suppose to be like that, but doesn't feel the same at all. Still like the old fashion much better.

Also like playing that old Daggerfall too.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Deluxe was an embellished version of the original. I have a suspicion (but don't know for certain) that the Deluxe was dumbed down a little bit. It does seem easier to win on Deluxe, but that's just one opinion. I will happily play either.

Railroad Tycoon Deluxe is available as a FREE download from 2K Games. It is the download on the right under the heading Railroad Tycoon - Full Game. The name shown is a misnomer as it is NOT the original Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon. (Edit: I can run RRTDX on my Windows 7 PC; I haven't tried it on my Windows 10 PC.)
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Yeah, Sid Meier's railroad tycoon and 1830 railroads and robber barons (dos) are the greatest.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Every now and then War in Russia and Pacwar.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Return to “General Discussion”