A couple of questions about the Northern Fury campaign in the CSP

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

fatgreta1066

A couple of questions about the Northern Fury campaign in the CSP

Post by fatgreta1066 »

Hi,

I'm working up the will to start this campaign, I have a number of questions.

1) Since the 1.14 update I think, but maybe I'm wrong, there are two copies of each scenario. One is a .scen and the other has the letters COW inserted (in different parts of the filename for different ones). I wonder what the difference is, but that might be answered by;

2) Where can I find the Northern Fury background document mentioned in the scenario descriptions?

3) Am I right that only 39 scenarios of the mentioned 58 are currently available, or are there more located elsewhere (like perhaps I don't have the most current update for the scenario pack, 'though I think I do)?

4) If I skip some of the scenarios along the way, is that likely to affect anything? I'm assuming that one scenario doesn't include losses and successes from previous ventures, as with the Chains of War command, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,

Chris
mavfin

RE: A couple of questions about the Northern Fury campaign in the CSP

Post by mavfin »

CoW means that it requires the Chains of War DLC to load that version. I pulled one of these, and detailed Aircraft Damage is turned on for this version.

My understanding is that the missing ones aren't finished yet. Some are finished but not tested, and some still just exist in the mind and/or notes of the scenario creator!

Also, I have attached a copy of the Northern Fury background document, directly from the Steam Community Pack files. (You can't find it inside Command, but you can get it from the folder on your hard drive.) I take no credit for this file. I had no part in its creation.
Attachments
Northern F..nd V10.5.zip
(19.21 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
--Mav
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

Excellent, thanks.
mavfin

Post by mavfin »

ORIGINAL: fatgreta1066

Excellent, thanks.

Also, after some investigation, look at the 10.5 background scenario list vs the list of files. Look at the scenarios marked in green. All the 'old' ones on that list can be cleaned out. You'll remove some of the duplicates, as well as *all* of the files numbered with number.something. You'll end up with a much more coherent list w/o any duplicates. There will be some with the some name, but there will be CoW versions and versions w/o it.

--Mav
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook »

ORIGINAL: fatgreta1066
4) If I skip some of the scenarios along the way, is that likely to affect anything? I'm assuming that one scenario doesn't include losses and successes from previous ventures, as with the Chains of War command, but I could be wrong.
You're correct, there's no carry over. Also, some of the scenarios were made in older versions of the game, not sure how recently they've been updated. The second one, for example, I remember is extra frustrating now.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Hay guys - been away a few days, mavfin is correct:

-COW = Chains of War. For most of them all that has been done is to turn on that feature, not for all scenarios just the ones with heavy air combat. These have not been properly tested but for the ones I have spot checked, the aircraft damage adds a lot of depth and doesn't seem to unbalance the game at all. If you play these and have comments for fixes or better balancing please PM me with your thoughts.
-The Northern Fury Background Doc is available in many places, the problem with it is version control because it is in so many places. 10.5 is the most current at the moment.
-The last scrub through renumbered them all into a more coherent system. This project started out with an idea of doing 18-20 scenarios but NF is now fairly firm at 58 so I can lock down the numbering. You are correct 'only' about 39 are done. There are a couple in testing, about 7 in the build stage and the rest are still concepts. There are also three Indian Fury, one Caribbean Fury and one Mediterranean Fury out there with more in the works plus a couple Baltic Furies almost ready for testing.
-Tailhook is correct, I will rebuild #2 and #16 'Sub Surge' once Silent Service is out and I have a bit of time. They are in need of rebalancing.

If anyone has any comments on any scenarios at all, please just PM me and I'll add your thoughts to my fix list. No promises on when I will get back to them but all comments are logged and considered.

There are a couple big announcements about this series coming in the next couple months, things are in the works but I need to get some time to wrap them up. I hope you enjoy the series, it is fun to build and I hope fun to play. If you need to skip a scenario for any reason, you may want to read the brief just to keep the story coherent but it is not essential to play them all in order. The first few are tough.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”