personal house rule - budgeting

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

gwgardner

personal house rule - budgeting

Post by gwgardner »

If this is an old idea forgive me.

I just note that in every game I've played as the AXIS, including my current PBEM, I have never spent an MPP on naval purchases or research. I haven't even repaired a sub in my current game. Of course my navy is destroyed.

Also, I tend to buy for example, 3 inf corps one turn, an armored unit the next, maybe two fighters the third, depending on my current situational whim. Little long-range planning.

Ok, I'm a bad player. I'm doing ok in my PBEM, however.

The above is completely unrealistic. The AXIS powers did spend on naval, and they had budgets. So in my next game I'm going to force myself to setup a budget, whereby every year I'll decide on what percentage of my MPPs go to air, land, naval, misc. Each of those categories will include unit purchases and research. The misc will be kind of a reserve, which can be spent on anything, even one or more of the other categories, or for diplomacy.

Anyone else already playing with such a budget house rule?

Birdw

RE: personal house rule - budgeting

Post by Birdw »

I tend to use Axis navies as a way to hurt Allied morale. You sink the RN and watch where the English morale goes. You have to be careful and fight on your own terms though. I generally don'y buy any new Axis navies except for MT's but I do research and invest in upgrades. How much I spend depends on how the game is going on other fronts.
Birdman

It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns
LiquidSky

RE: personal house rule - budgeting

Post by LiquidSky »

I would argue that all those free naval units you get as the Germans are the 'naval budget' and the points left over from that are what you are spending. In fact, it might be unrealistic to spend any of it on new naval units as you suggest.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”