Would Sir like extra bombs with that?

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

loki100

T11

Post by loki100 »

T11

Last turn perhaps pushed BC too hard. In effect, over the two targets it was active for 5 days. Result is 30 bomber formations resting. 8 AAF has to rest 20 so in combination not much bombing strength left for this week.

Even so, VP scores improve. Bombing now up to 11, even if ground losses have also risen.

Down to 434 bombers from BC so decide to keep to the Ruhr but hit the eastern block of targets.

Tac Air continue to look for isolated (but valuable) targets – this one usefully can also be protected by Fighter Command.

My sustained use of FC has left me short of Spitfires so start to convert some formations to Typhoons as FB. Overall this gambit has paid off as the Luftwaffe has been drawn into attritional combat but I'll need to abandon it once the bad weather arrives.

Not shown but 8 AAF only has 167 bombers available. Decide to hit Bremen as its mostly undamaged but has a lot of fuel, manpower and HI.

BC raids were fairly successful, especially over Essen.

Tac Air was again a useful contribution.

8 AAF hit its targets for limited losses.

Resting with 8A on Sicily but make progress on Sardinia. Should take Cagliari next turn.

bomccarthy

RE: T11

Post by bomccarthy »

I noticed that your flew BC and 8th AF consecutive days in the past couple of turns - would your units get more rest if you alternated the days (D2, D4, D6 or D1, D3, D5, D7)?
Chuske

RE: T6

Post by Chuske »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

Naval patrols do seem more effective on auto than they used to be. In my previous games, I would regularly lose ships and their cargo immediately upon leaving Oran in early 1945, even though the closest Axis base was in Albania. I couldn't figure out what was attacking them, a Nazi-sympathizing Kraken?

In my current game, I am only setting up Naval patrol directives to protect invasion sites. In Spring '44 good weather turns with no naval patrol directives, I usually control most of the Med ocean hexes to within 40 miles of the French coast, as well all around the Italian coastline that I control on land. I just make sure to spread the Coastal AF patrol planes and bombers along the coastlines I control.

Could be U-boats attacking as they remained a threat right to the end of the war, it was only the more effective allied technology and tactics that stopped them being the threat they were until mid 43. In fact the new models introduced in 1945 were v.difficult for the Allies to deal with as they had ability to stay submerged (first true submarines rather than submersibles) and very fast underwater speed. If they had been introduced a year earlier the Western Allies may have been knocked out of the war.

I've just installed the beta and I see what you guys mean. 1.01.68 the naval patrols were seriously under-powered and hard to get control of sea hexes at all, now its almost too easy.

I think this game is excellent except for the Naval model which never has felt that convincing, particularly in not having a requirement for Allies to keep anti-Uboat naval patrols over the Western approaches, bay of Biscay etc and U-boats war just reduced to a few factories.
The user formerly known as jonboym

WITP:AE - Useful Info for Beginners

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester
Chuske

Post by Chuske »

Loki a few more questions for you which might benefit new players:-

1) What is your approach to Support Unit (SU) attachment? What do you attach to your Divisions, Corp HQ and Army HQ? I usually have engineers on most inf div and often an armoured SU and AT SU. Corps HQ I load with Artillery (can't remember though if there is a limit on how much artillery will actually take part in a battle), I attach AA to all HQs but rarely to units (at least as Allies).

2) Do you bother attaching Commando units to Amphib HQs or making sure the amphib HQs with commandos already attached are on a flank of an invasion? I've never yet seen the rule about these multi-role SUs taking an adjacent empty hex during an invasion, actually activate.

3) How do you judge when you have enough port capacity repaired after an invasion (particularly in Med) to redeploy Amphib HQs for a new invasion? As you say, keeping up the amphib threat in Italy is essential but needs to be balanced against keeping supplies flowing to the main front.

4) How do you manage land unit fatigue and TOE loss? Do you always have a div or two resting and refitting? Can be particularly tough in Italy in winter 43/44 to keep up CV values, also can be hard to mantain CV during a rapid advance in NW Europe.

5) Rail repair units. I seem to remember there is a need to give these the correct higher HQ as otherwise they can lose TOE and suddenly stop working, I can't seem to find the thread on this though, can you remember?

6) What is your general strategy on rail repair? Are there any tips on getting the HQs to use their engineers so you don't have to repair every rail hex manually with rail repair units? Do you keep a reapir unit in Italy after D-Day invasions?

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester
bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

ORIGINAL: Chuske

Could be U-boats attacking as they remained a threat right to the end of the war, it was only the more effective allied technology and tactics that stopped them being the threat they were until mid 43. In fact the new models introduced in 1945 were v.difficult for the Allies to deal with as they had ability to stay submerged (first true submarines rather than submersibles) and very fast underwater speed. If they had been introduced a year earlier the Western Allies may have been knocked out of the war.

Did U-boats operate in the Med in 1945? What were their chances of getting through the Strait of Gibraltar unnoticed or unharmed?

I think this game is excellent except for the Naval model which never has felt that convincing, particularly in not having a requirement for Allies to keep anti-Uboat naval patrols over the Western approaches, bay of Biscay etc and U-boats war just reduced to a few factories.

I think a number of Allied air assets dedicated to naval patrol duties are missing in the game - there are no land-based FAA fighter squadrons in Scotland and the carrier-based air units are abstracted. It would have been nice in the game to see USN Hellcats tangling with Luftwaffe strikes and providing close air support (with USN Avengers) in a Southern France invasion. Or port strikes in Norway by FAA Avengers, Hellcats, and Corsairs.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

I noticed that your flew BC and 8th AF consecutive days in the past couple of turns - would your units get more rest if you alternated the days (D2, D4, D6 or D1, D3, D5, D7)?

Not really. I'd avoid D1 missions so that the recon has chance to operate. Beyond that it makes no real difference if you cluster or spread out. You might get a few more planes by spreading out as they shed a bit of damage but not sure about this and its very marginal.

In a PBEM I might mix things up more. The ideal for the Germans is to only fly defensive air on the days that the bombers appear (=less fatigue and operational losses), so if you keep to the same pattern your opponent might start to react. This is also why in a PBEM, I vary altitudes a bit to see if I can catch the enemy out. I don't think the AI reacts to your moves at this level of detail so I just keep to a similar pattern.

Naval patrols do seem more effective on auto than they used to be. In my previous games, I would regularly lose ships and their cargo immediately upon leaving Oran in early 1945, even though the closest Axis base was in Albania. I couldn't figure out what was attacking them, a Nazi-sympathizing Kraken?

In my current game, I am only setting up Naval patrol directives to protect invasion sites. In Spring '44 good weather turns with no naval patrol directives, I usually control most of the Med ocean hexes to within 40 miles of the French coast, as well all around the Italian coastline that I control on land. I just make sure to spread the Coastal AF patrol planes and bombers along the coastlines I control.

I've just installed the beta and I see what you guys mean. 1.01.68 the naval patrols were seriously under-powered and hard to get control of sea hexes at all, now its almost too easy.

Aye the naval model is functional rather than anything else. The odd dual nature of the TFs as both the transport assets and combat ships is a bit hard to grasp (intuitively) as is the ability of a TF to repair a level 1/2 port. I'd also have liked to see either a fair bit of the UK based coastal command out of the game to reflect the enduring U-boat campaign or some practical penalty if you just use it in support of land operations?

Loki a few more questions for you which might benefit new players:-

1) What is your approach to Support Unit (SU) attachment? What do you attach to your Divisions, Corp HQ and Army HQ? I usually have engineers on most inf div and often an armoured SU and AT SU. Corps HQ I load with Artillery (can't remember though if there is a limit on how much artillery will actually take part in a battle), I attach AA to all HQs but rarely to units (at least as Allies).

2) Do you bother attaching Commando units to Amphib HQs or making sure the amphib HQs with commandos already attached are on a flank of an invasion? I've never yet seen the rule about these multi-role SUs taking an adjacent empty hex during an invasion, actually activate.

3) How do you judge when you have enough port capacity repaired after an invasion (particularly in Med) to redeploy Amphib HQs for a new invasion? As you say, keeping up the amphib threat in Italy is essential but needs to be balanced against keeping supplies flowing to the main front.

4) How do you manage land unit fatigue and TOE loss? Do you always have a div or two resting and refitting? Can be particularly tough in Italy in winter 43/44 to keep up CV values, also can be hard to mantain CV during a rapid advance in NW Europe.

5) Rail repair units. I seem to remember there is a need to give these the correct higher HQ as otherwise they can lose TOE and suddenly stop working, I can't seem to find the thread on this though, can you remember?

6) What is your general strategy on rail repair? Are there any tips on getting the HQs to use their engineers so you don't have to repair every rail hex manually with rail repair units? Do you keep a reapir unit in Italy after D-Day invasions?

Do my best:

1) For Italy I find you don't really have the SUs you need so its a case of making do. I change my mind on this a lot but at the moment I'm tending to keep the assets at the corps level rather than directly attached. By the time you land in France you have the SUs both to fill out the corps and for direct attachments.

In testing WiTE2, I think a few people have come to a better appreciation of just how useful AA is in a ground combat role. So I have started directly attaching the light AA to allied divisions. It visibly adds a CV. Looking at the combat results in detail, it seems to contribute - need to see more instances since I have not really had that much ground combat so far. This may be over-powered (not least I'm pretty sure the W Allies did not tend to use AA in a ground role) but it seems as if the AA SUs actually have more value than it immediately appears.

2) if I remember [;)]. Actually its more use in Italy, especially if you do one hex/one division landings in an attemtp to disrupt the Germans

3) My logic is a typical T1 invasion will give you 6 temp port levels (feasibly 8 but most people will retarget one of those). I've never felt I had a global supply problem on Sicily so as a rough rule 6 port levels is enough.

You'll take Gela on T1 and it auto-repairs so that is one level back, Sciacca and Trapani are two more level 1 ports you should get easily and again auto-repair. Siracusa, Catania and Palermo are in combination 12 port levels but will be damaged to some extent. So I basically pull away TFs as I build up on the permanent ports. I reckon you can abandon one on T2 (Gela and a damaged Siracusa will replace this).

Its all a bit rough and ready as a model but its good enough for my purposes.

4) it definitely pays to see if you can pull units well back. In Italy you can often defend with a divisional front line, and really everything else should be pulled back. The end-game tends to be a war of ants as the Germans weaken and the Allies are in poor supply. Here keeping a few divisions back as a reserve and rotating them can make a huge difference - the problem is you often need every combat unit to hold the front as it gets stretched into some odd shapes.

5) yes, I've had that especially with the British ones. I tend to link them to a suitable army group as Army CP can be overloaded, but someone did indeed do a good analysis of the problem [8D]

6) I'm pragmatic about this. In the current game, all the Sicily rails are repaired and I'd guess I did about 40% by controlling the rail repair unit. I don't find rail repair to have the importance it has in WiTE. In the main port capacity/shipping are the real constraints for the allies both in Italy and France. Repaired rail lines are nice but not so critical?
loki100

T12

Post by loki100 »

T12

Air war slowing down a bit due to fatigue and low morale. Had to rest 24 BC squadrons and 14 from 8 AAF.

Fighter Command is pretty battered. I've never really run out of Spitfires before but am using any model I can to keep the squadrons equipped. I'm not too worried as I tend to convert most over to Typhoons and Hurricanes to support the invasion of France. Equally I'm hoping that having been trading losses with the Luftwaffe will give me air superiority much earlier in 1944 than usual. If so can start to really push 8 AAF onto deeper and riskier targets.

In a triumph of hope over experience, decide to push BC deeper into Germany. I know its less effective beyond the radar range but ....

And the results matched my expectations if not my hopes ...

Its just the lure of all those green targets is too hard to resist.

Tactical Air continues to hit isolated smaller targets.

And the limited 8 AAF raids don't really damage some rather annoying U-boat plants – I fear those will repair in a turn or two.

On the ground, the AI gave me Reggio Calabria for free. Bit surprised at this as its usually too keen to cling to such ports.

Still running interdiction attacks to the north but have suspended the naval air missions.

On Sardinia, Cagliari fell. Had set up a GA-unit attack using the 2 engined bombers to support this.

Hoping for an Italian surrender so I don't lose too many VP clearing out the island.

Italy now primed for a surrender, the landings at Bari are ready if needed or I'll swap at least one stack to a later invasion near Rome.

From a VP perspective, if you can gain Rome in late 43/early 44, it makes such a huge difference.
loki100

T13

Post by loki100 »

T13

More bombers available this turn. Resting 16 BC squadrons and 9 from 8 AAF.

VP situation. Happy enough at the basic bombing points, still a bit frustrated the U-boats are scoring at 2+ on a regular basis.

In an attempt to deal with that running two missions for 8 AAF. One is last turns raids on the Bremen area repeated and a single target mission for the end of the week over Kiel.

Results of the main raids. Still not great but hopefully that will keep the Bremen U-boats quiet for some time. I'd like to start using 8 AAF on optional targets like German medium tank and truck production.

The Kiel raid was more effective.

Bomber Command back over the Ruhr where it can actually find its targets.

Useful to have hit so much HI.

2 Tac Air still doing its one city raids. Should remove the Emden U-Boats. The cost of using the 2-engined bombers so aggressively is I actually have a shortage of Wellingtons. Never seen this before but overall I think this tactic has paid off.

As an experiment I shifted the focus of Fighter Command to give me a sweep over the Paris area. Generated a single air battle where I overwhelmed the Luftwaffe. If I killed the pilots, then (going by the experience scores) that will have hurt the Germans.

Note that my (self-inflicted) Spitfire shortage means I have some squadrons converted to Kittyhawks. Notably less effective than the Spitfires.

Overall air losses. Realise the code is evolving between games but some things are very different there. I think this is the most intense air war I've seen – which is odd as I've mostly kept my morale up and sustained a steady bombing campaign with no lulls so far.

The lost pilot/plane ratio seems high for the Axis. Basically 3:5 (so around 65%) compared to closer to 1:1 for the Allies (which is more to be expected). Have shown the airplane losses for the axis by type and the Bf-109G appear to have been totally out matched. Not sure if this is due to the AI not evading my Fighter Command AS boxes (an Axis player would ... well I would if playing the Axis).

Bit of ground action too. The Germans seem to regret retreating from Reggio Calabria. Pity for them is I had a TF in the port making sure it repaired so the heavy naval guns inflicted a lot of disruptions at long range.

Action on Sardinia. I'm trying not to fight the Italians – save manpower and VP in the hope they surrender soon.

Sicily. Pushed some more British divisions over to the mainland. 2 US divisions redeploying to Palermo for the planned Roman landings. Note letting the US armoured divisions rest and repair. If the Germans run north their mobility will be more use than their raw combat power, Still running interdiction to the north of the fighting.

bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

ORIGINAL: loki100

In testing WiTE2, I think a few people have come to a better appreciation of just how useful AA is in a ground combat role. So I have started directly attaching the light AA to allied divisions. It visibly adds a CV. Looking at the combat results in detail, it seems to contribute - need to see more instances since I have not really had that much ground combat so far. This may be over-powered (not least I'm pretty sure the W Allies did not tend to use AA in a ground role) but it seems as if the AA SUs actually have more value than it immediately appears.

I recall that the US Army used AA in a ground role much more than the Royal Army. In particular, the 90mm AA gun was used in an artillery role as 1944 wore on and the Luftwaffe put in fewer appearances in a ground attack role. And, as the VT fuse became available in larger numbers, 90mm batteries were used to harass German columns with air bursts. Moreover, I think that the M-16 AA halftracks (with the quad .50) were ultimately used more often as heavy fire support in ground action than in an air defense role.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

I recall that the US Army used AA in a ground role much more than the Royal Army. In particular, the 90mm AA gun was used in an artillery role as 1944 wore on and the Luftwaffe put in fewer appearances in a ground attack role. And, as the VT fuse became available in larger numbers, 90mm batteries were used to harass German columns with air bursts. Moreover, I think that the M-16 AA halftracks (with the quad .50) were ultimately used more often as heavy fire support in ground action than in an air defense role.

thats interesting, makes me feel a bit less guilty about pushing the AA up into the corps and/or as direct divisional attachments. I'm going to keep an eye on relevant combats and see how much it actually contributes though.
loki100

T14

Post by loki100 »

T14

Not too many bombers resting - only 14 squadrons from BC and 6 from 8 AAF.

Couple of emerging problems due to my approach to the airwar. As in last turn, am very low on 2 engined CW/UK bombers mainly due to the way I'm using the Wellingtons. Also by pushing Fighter Command am out of pilots for a number of the smaller Allied nations. So a number of formations are resting simply to conserve pilots for 1944.

VP situation. 10 bombing pts per turn is a nice steady contribution.

Am hoping that the recent raids by 8 AAF has kept the U-boats quiet. So shift it to more useful targets, here the focus is on trucks and German medium tank production.

Not exactly very effective though.

Swapped BC to hit the cluster of cities and towns to the south of the Ruhr.

Bomber Command had one of its good weeks.

2 Tactical Air contributed another set of secondary raids.

In southern Italy, the Germans remained annoyed that they retreated from Reggio Calabria. Thats a serious - if misplaced – offensive.

Sardinia, making steady progress but still trying to avoid too much actual fighting.

Italy continues to refuse to surrender.

The Bari landings are ready to go, starting to prepare for landings at Rome and a single divisional raid further up the Adriatic.
loki100

T15

Post by loki100 »

T15

Pattern of the air war seems to have stabilised. 9 BC and 8 US bomber squadrons set to rest. Both formations are able to commit around 800 bombers per week so the goal of a steady sustained bombing campaign has worked out.

As mentioned in the last report, while Fighter Command has done a good job on battering the Luftwaffe, it has taken heavy losses. So have cancelled the AS and its just on defensive operations over the UK for now.

VP situation moving along at +9 per turn for the air war. I'm usually content to accept 1 or 2 lost U-boat VP per turn as I like to use 8 AAF for non-VP but otherwise useful targets.

BC went to the north of the Ruhr this week.

Again, very sucessful even if it seems as if every German NF was deployed in that sector,

2 Tac Air did a single hex raid on Saarbruecken – this was partly protected by the 8 AAF raids.

8 AAF was going for the Frankfurt-Mainz cluster, trucks and useful VP related targets.

Unlike last week, it paid off too.

Took some more ground on Sardinia. Kept on the defensive around Reggio Calabria. If Italy doesn't surrender next turn I'll do the Bari landings to try and force it out of the war.
Zecke

RE: T15

Post by Zecke »

^*Ǩ*^Ǩ:;(wich means) good..?? finish with tregua..hahahaha

pringao¡
Epsilon Eridani

Chuske

Post by Chuske »

Did U-boats operate in the Med in 1945? What were their chances of getting through the Strait of Gibraltar unnoticed or unharmed?

Seems my memory on this was a bit hazy. I did some checking and found that while there was a significant U-boat presence in the Med for several years, it ended in '44 after Toulon was taken by the Allies. So the U-boat threat after this time was limited to just UK home waters and North Sea mostly.

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester
Chuske

Post by Chuske »

Interesting to see the differences on how this is panning out with the beta patch. AI really seems a bit confused over Reggio Calabria, I've seen it vacate the hex just above before but never the town itself and never mount fruitless attacks trying to take it back. Think might be worth a bug report.

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Interesting to see the differences on how this is panning out with the beta patch. AI really seems a bit confused over Reggio Calabria, I've seen it vacate the hex just above before but never the town itself and never mount fruitless attacks trying to take it back. Think might be worth a bug report.

Good idea, also the old issue of units on ships/trains picking up invasion prep pts has returned.

At one level that wall of Pzrs in Calabria is a problem - 8A is going nowhere - but of course a player would retreat towards Anzio etc to dig in and wait. As below I have a decent landing at Bari and if I can build up that entire force is at risk. If not well I can only suspect that Rome is weakly defended.
loki100

T16-T17

Post by loki100 »

T16-T17

I've conflated these turns as T16 was very heavy rain in NW Europe so I opted to rest the entire Allied airforce.

I might have managed some raids but at a high cost in operational losses, fatigue and probably very little accuracy.

Despite that, no change in the VP situation.

After a bit of looking over the map for options, decided to repeat the same BC raids as T15. That remains a target rich sector.

Same logic for 8 AAF. Note that the turn resting has given me 1100 available bombers compared to 780 on T15.

BC clearly feels a lot happier after a week off.

And more damage by 8 AAF,

Situation in Italy for T16. 8A is blocked in Calabria so decide to use half the original planned Bari landings. My logic is this might shake the AI into a retreat, if it ends up relatively isolated I can hold onto it.

This gives me a six division landing near Rome. I guess it will be ready by November, perhaps early December. I have a divisional and a brigade sized invasion plotted for the Adriatic coast. May never use these, or might shift them around but it can be very useful to disrupt any German defense lines along the Adriatic.

For T17, landings and some reinforcements ashore. I'll add more armour here as it is more useful in the relatively open terrain.

Sardinia has almost fallen, Corsica will not take that long.

Have marked the next set of invasion sites.

Chuske

RE: T16-T17

Post by Chuske »

Did I miss you landing on Corsica or did Italy finally surrender? You're being rather unlucky with that, never seen Italy hold out so long when I had units on the toe.

I take it all your TFs are back prepping except the one by Bari?

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester
bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

I've conflated these turns as T16 was very heavy rain in NW Europe so I opted to rest the entire Allied airforce.

I might have managed some raids but at a high cost in operational losses, fatigue and probably very little accuracy.

I have taken to not resting my air units during very bad weather turns - I find that they usually don't fly anyway, even when I set the Min Fly setting to "All". If they do fly, they usually undertake only 1-2 missions, so they suffer few operational losses and end up rested. I've also found that if a storm front lasts two turns, more sorties are flown in the last 2-3 days of the second turn, like the front has just passed. Maybe just my imagination.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Did I miss you landing on Corsica or did Italy finally surrender? You're being rather unlucky with that, never seen Italy hold out so long when I had units on the toe.

I take it all your TFs are back prepping except the one by Bari?

Yes Italy finally took the hint so I landed a division I had in reserve to reinforce the Italian forces on Corsica.

re the TFs, yes they were all committed but I then decided to abandon the brigade sized invasion. On thinking about it, its handy to have one TF free. It can auto repair level 1-2 ports (very handy) and replace one that is maintaining an emergency port but taking attrition.

In a big port, I can set up the brigade landing again with some speed if I still want to do a second hop up the Adriatic. As it is I think the AI has left Rome uncovered so I think that is now the key. Get those units ashore before the end of the year and I should be able to get the front up into N Italy in any case?

I have taken to not resting my air units during very bad weather turns - I find that they usually don't fly anyway, even when I set the Min Fly setting to "All". If they do fly, they usually undertake only 1-2 missions, so they suffer few operational losses and end up rested. I've also found that if a storm front lasts two turns, more sorties are flown in the last 2-3 days of the second turn, like the front has just passed. Maybe just my imagination.

There clearly is a random element to what flies and what doesn't in poor weather so I'm not sure that any patterns are other than random. If I understand the weather model, then it is fixed for the week - and I guess the random allocation element then captures any small daily alterations to the prevailing weather?

Here, with 10 VP/turn for the core bombing, I think resting is the best option. I can use it to do some upgrades, rebase some planes and it gives me a large punch the next week - so as in the report 8 AAF had over 1,000 useable bombers.

But its one of those things I keep on changing my mind about [8D]

Return to “After Action Reports”