Untested and revision needed - Monster Scenario

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
USXpat

Untested and revision needed - Monster Scenario

Post by USXpat »

Into Darkness: 1939-1945 scenario. I totally thought this was lost and forgot how much effort went into it during the TOAW 3.5 development period. It was finished subject to further changes with TOAW IV. It's a monster and meant for PBEM only, so I don't know how much of an interest there would be to finishing it.

But here it is, and all I can attest to is that it does load in TOAW IV. The manual spells out everything in considerable detail. It incorporates all of the same things from Third Reich 42-45 - like the German reserve system, allied bombing of Axis industry, etc.

This goes a lot further in a (controversial) attempt to model in more detail Naval Warfare, Convoys, Uboats, naval transport levels, etc and so forth which I know and have heard "can't be done" - "shouldn't be done", etc. ad infinitum. I tinkered with it fairly heavily back then and observed there to be a possibility it could get pretty close. Where TOAW IV treats ships best when they are 1 per line, the scenario still has "8 destroyers as 1 line item" -- so that much is not optimized.

It also attempts to model the Axis lack of oil, war booty, and uses Daniel McBride's/Gary Grigsby's War in the East model for Soviet factory evacuations, etc., etc.

Anyways -- adding it here, if there's enough interest, the naval components will get revised (1 ship per line item) or possibly push it into an abstract model.

Until finding it and actually opening it up, I really forgot how close it was to completion. Feel free to email with thoughts/ideas/feedback. Thanks!

Attachments
IDEurope19391945.zip
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 380 times
btd64

RE: Untested and revision needed - Monster Scenario

Post by btd64 »

I'd be interested in looking at it....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
USXpat

Post by USXpat »

Hi BTD64 - all the files should be in the attachment.
Rand6897

Post by Rand6897 »

WOW! Impressive piece of work. Are you still working on it or is the project shelved?
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Indeed impressive. Thanks for posting it. I'm going to read the documentation now - also impressive work.
I'd be very interested in players' experiences with the naval aspect of the game and I'm curious about your how you'ld go about making the naval game an abstract model.

Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Hello

I have a problem with the equipment.
I unzip the Zip into the folder Graphics Override and the Sce into the respective scenario folders.
If I want to play now it shows me first that the wrong eqp is used, you can see in the pictures, but as far as not unusual with the eqp ......... but also after I loaded the scenario in the editor and saved again, the result remains the same, although it shows me no wrong eqp more but the equipment of the units is still the same as before.

cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Not sure what is going on with that report. Here is how I see it on my PC.

Cheers
josant

Post by josant »

Ammann, are you sure that the "ID-Europe1939-1945.eqp" file is in the Graphics Override folder?

I put the file inside the Graphics Override folder, go to the editor and load the escenario, although a message saying that wrong eqp is used, the scenario loads correctly
JA
Rand6897

Post by Rand6897 »

Had same problem. Need to put scenario equipment files in the Graphic Override file that is under Documents for TOAW

C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV

Not sure how or why this folder is here but it solved problem.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Ammann

Post by Ammann »

Hey Rand6897

Thanks for the tip, now everything works as it should
However, I had the problem so far in any other scenario

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”