Which side has the advantage?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

room

Which side has the advantage?

Post by room »

Hi everyone, I Wonder which side is the more frequent winner in pbem games?
KorutZelva

RE: Which side has the advantage?

Post by KorutZelva »

I would say:
at lower level of play: the Allies,
at medium and high level of play: the Axis.

The Axis control the tempo of the game but it can be challenging for a beginner to take advantage of it or to handle the game's supply rules on the offensive.
room

Post by room »

ok that makes sense. Thx.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

I would say:

I'm not sure that I agree, but maybe I just play with opponents who pretend to be fellow idiots. I'm currently playing 1 game as G and 8 as allies, with 1 G and 2 A games using FWII 9.1. 5 are SoE version 12.0 and 1 Barbarossa. I prefer playing allies (obviously) partly because I think it's easier in the sense that mistakes don't matter quite as much. The game is a bit more subtle than it appears at first so the allies have to be flexible, but the allies are more resilient than the axis IMHO.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

I would say:

The Axis control the tempo of the game but it can be challenging for a beginner to take advantage of it or to handle the game's supply rules on the offensive.

I agree. If you are just starting PBEM you are better off playing the Allied a few times. Axis is very hard for a newer player especially if you are playing a seasoned person.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

No doubt that in HvsH games the Allies have the advantage. Pretty simple actually as the game is decided in the USSR. The Red Army needs only to get to AA & IW tech 2 early in 42 and that is "game over" unless of course the Allies make some monumental mistakes or the Germans pull off some miraculous maneuvers(which is an Allied mistake of defensive planning).
SeaMonkey
wie201

Post by wie201 »

And I think it depends somewhat on whether your opponent is playing it as a "game" versus a "simulation." If you play it as a game only, I have seen the United States conquered before the UK.
Rannug61

Post by Rannug61 »

Hi

I've have a handful of Pbem-games behind me now and I would say there is an axis advantage but it takes more skill to play the axis. So it's better to be allies in your first 3-4 games. If 2 top players fight it out I think the axis would win 3 out of 4 times. Air power is the key to victory and the Luftwaffe rules the sky in most games. If Russia is alive and well in summer of 43 things can change but it's very hard to keep the Red Army in shape. One needs some early luck with research.
"En svensk tiger"
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

I also think the Axis has the advantage, though maybe it's more like 60:40, ceteris paribus.
room

Post by room »

I wonder what Bill or other devs have to say on this since they must have some more substantial data to educate their guesses ?
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

I really like Fall Weiss mod so would like to hear thoughts on play balance in PBEM using that mod. I prefer it to the base campaign by far.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
crispy131313

Post by crispy131313 »

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

I really like Fall Weiss mod so would like to hear thoughts on play balance in PBEM using that mod. I prefer it to the base campaign by far.

In my experience thus far, the advantage is always in favor of my opponent. [:D]
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

GeneralFerraro

Post by GeneralFerraro »

You nailed it on the head, crispy, who needs playtesting, statistics, or lenghty discussions? I knew it from the beginning, the game always favors (unfairly) one's opponent, particularly in PBEM. It's cruel, really. [X(]

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”