ASW TF

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

ASW TF

Post by Chris21wen »

Has anyone ever seen a ASW TF react? They might have done at sea but I cannot remember one doing so while at a base.
alimentary

RE: ASW TF

Post by alimentary »

I have seen it quite frequently for an ASW TF on patrol at sea with a non-zero reaction range set.

For an ASW TF patrolling from a base hex, like you, I do not recall ever seeing a reaction. But then, that is a self-fulfilling prophecy -- I rarely set my ASW TF's to patrol from a base hex for this very reason.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: alimentary

I have seen it quite frequently for an ASW TF on patrol at sea with a non-zero reaction range set.

For an ASW TF patrolling from a base hex, like you, I do not recall ever seeing a reaction. But then, that is a self-fulfilling prophecy -- I rarely set my ASW TF's to patrol from a base hex for this very reason.

I have standard ASW set to patrol off of ports and a few fast DD/E ASW in a few locations. Even if a patrol air or sea finds a sub these fast ASW never put to sea I always have to manually direct them. Surely this defeats the whole of the ability to set ASW to react if they are not going to do so.

I'd go further, surface TF set to react and are sitting in ports don't either.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I haven't seen either ASW or surface forces react out of port. In one game I had a powerful surface TF with an aggressive commander set to react range 6 sit idle while an island was invaded 4 hexes away [8|]
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Is there a difference between a TF that sits in port, with a reaction range, verses a TF that is set to patrol just the port hex, with a reaction range?

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Is there a difference between a TF that sits in port, with a reaction range, verses a TF that is set to patrol just the port hex, with a reaction range?

Yes the one sitting in port without a mission will not react.

The one patrolling a one hex pattern in the port will react.

To answer the OP, yes, I have had ASW TFs set to patrol a one hex pattern in the port hex react to submarines in an adjacent hex.
Hans

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Do a search on this...there have been several threads over the years about it.

Originally, they did not. Somewhere along the patches and or beta they might under the right circumstances.

Hans I believe is correct[:)], but what he doesn't mention is task force aggressiveness skill of the commander/captains and naval skills, and detection levels, and fuel, and ammo and a host of other things too many to mention including I am sure some randomness.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Originally, they did not. Somewhere along the patches and or beta they might under the right circumstances.

Hans I believe is correct[:)], but what he doesn't mention is task force aggressiveness skill of the commander/captains and naval skills, and detection levels, and fuel, and ammo and a host of other things too many to mention including I am sure some randomness.
Talking about ASW TF... the most efficient (my experience) are 3 x DD/SC or whatever ASW capable tin cans you can get.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Set up Patrol hex/hexes, react range, locate the sub via air patrols (raise DL/MDL) and you may see them react. Not that each reaction will automatically mean an encounter. You may actually react to a patrolling sub several times without actual combat.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I have seen them react from Pearl Harbor to a Jap sub two hexes away. Set the TF to Patrol the base hex, set react range to 2 or 3 hexes( I set them at 2). Guess you have to have a high DL on the sub for the TF to actually react.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Yes, and there are a few threads dedicated to this subject. As I recall, Alfred and Bill have both said that although ASW TFs may react, an attack does not follow necessarily in the same turn.

The ASW TF may react TO the sighting, but it will only attack sub TFs with a high enough Detection Level when they enter the same hex.
ORIGINAL: Barb

Set up Patrol hex/hexes, react range, locate the sub via air patrols (raise DL/MDL) and you may see them react. Not that each reaction will automatically mean an encounter. You may actually react to a patrolling sub several times without actual combat.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Talking about ASW TF... the most efficient (my experience) are 3 x DD/SC or whatever ASW capable tin cans you can get.

Klink, Oberst

Yes, Symon once responded long ago that 3 is the optimum number of ships for an ASW TF.

The fourth allowable ship apparently provides no benefit.

Facing the early shortage I endeavor to put at least 2 in each TF as one seems to always become a target fro the sub they are hunting.
Hans

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Just to confirm or clarify here...[8D]

A perhaps minor variation of a rule ? I may have it wrong.

The question may be if the ASW TF is "docked"..

--

I recall though I do not have the evidence ...

I had a ASW task Force = Reaction 6 = Type ships 2 x DD / 1 x DE - react in in the port of Columbo - India in 1942.

Their patrol range was hexes immediately in front of Columbo and the port hex itself.

The ASW TF reacted to the Subs while in the Hex of Columbo as I recall.

The AI had physically programmed a number of midget submarines to attack the port of Columbo i.e. enter the hex.

I also recall from a previous game where the AI performed the same type maneuver on the port of Sydney in 1942 as I recall though I had no ASW TF patrolling the port itself.

Question : In rare or certain circumstances will the ASW patrol not react while in or into a port hex from adjacent to a port hex - if the IJN send a submarine into port to attack ???

Not docked of course.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Another thread that pops up on occasion. I got involved in one a while back, insisting that ASW TF's do 'react', as I believed I had seen it done. Alfred said they didn't. I looked further and tried different things. What I discovered and Alfred more or less confirmed with a [:)] , was that the ASW TF 'reacted' to a sub passing through its hex. ASW TF's in and of themselves do not react. The code is not there for this to occur.
Alfred and Bill have both said that although ASW TFs may react, an attack does not follow necessarily in the same turn.

Although the term 'react' is not quite appropriate here this in fact does often happen. I've seen ASW TF's 'follow' a sub for many hexes without an attack.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

That's more to the point of what I was trying to say. I couldn't remember exactly (or find the thread), but I think we both got the thrust of what Alfred was trying to impart.
ORIGINAL: rustysi

Another thread that pops up on occasion. I got involved in one a while back, insisting that ASW TF's do 'react', as I believed I had seen it done. Alfred said they didn't. I looked further and tried different things. What I discovered and Alfred more or less confirmed with a [:)] , was that the ASW TF 'reacted' to a sub passing through its hex. ASW TF's in and of themselves do not react. The code is not there for this to occur.
Alfred and Bill have both said that although ASW TFs may react, an attack does not follow necessarily in the same turn.

Although the term 'react' is not quite appropriate here this in fact does often happen. I've seen ASW TF's 'follow' a sub for many hexes without an attack.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

They used to react all the time for me. In fact some would react well out of safe air cover range and get creamed. However, I do not see them reacting any more. Perhaps one of the later patches. Or at least I am not getting any messages to that effect. You used to get the message. They are still pretty effective if they run over a sub.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I'll continue to dispute this as I routinely see my ASW TFs reacting to subs in adjacent hexes.
The flash message is that TFXXX is "Reacting".
It's not unusual to see multiple reactions from the same TF following the sub through two hexes.
It is also not unusual to have no attacks result from the reaction as mentioned above.

It is possible that the TF is only reacting to the sub after the sub has entered and is exiting the hex the TF is in, rather than reacting to the subs presence in an adjacent hex.
No way to tell from information provided if this is what is happening. Seems strange though that the egress from the hex would trigger the reaction rather than the ingress triggering an attack.
Hans

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Well you guys can dispute whatever you like, fact is ASW TF's don't 'react'. Hans that message you're seeing is the result of the sub and the ASW TF's paths intersecting. Guys the DEVs have even said that ASW TF's don't 'react'. Why are you still insisting they do?????[&:]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Well you guys can dispute whatever you like, fact is ASW TF's don't 'react'. Hans that message you're seeing is the result of the sub and the ASW TF's paths intersecting. Guys the DEVs have even said that ASW TF's don't 'react'. Why are you still insisting they do?????[&:]

let's see, probably because I'm witnessing it happen.

I learned at a very early age not to believe everything I'm told.

If they can't react, why is it possible to set a reaction range?

If they couldn't react, wouldn't the reaction range choice setting be zero?

Sub and PT TFs have limited reaction range, that can't be set higher than 1.

Wouldn't it have been just as easy to restrict that setting to zero for ASW TFs if they really were not capable of reacting?
Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”