Screen Draw Issue

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

anglonorman

Screen Draw Issue

Post by anglonorman »

I am using -dd_sw switch to improve screen scrolling as without it at 1920x1080 the game is unplayable as the lag on scrolling is untenable. However, when mouse over location or click on a convoy for instance I get blocks of my desktop showing up on the screen. Also depending on the mouse movement the whole screen will disappear to the desktop and only reappear when Click on the mouse.

Anybody know what this issue is? anyone else experience it?
btd64

RE: Screen Draw Issue

Post by btd64 »

I'm guessing you have Windows 10. Put in the -w switch. Windows 10 can be a little weird when playing AE....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Kull

Post by Kull »

The joys of Windows 10. This issue discussed extensively here.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I don't know about Joy but definitely interesting....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here are the switches I'm using and it works fine. The -w makes all the difference. You'll lose a bit off the bottom but I never use that anyway. If you have your toolbar on the right like I do you'll need to scoot the window to the left to get to the kill X.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -fd -altFont -px1920 -py1080 -archive -cpu1 -dd_sw -deepColor -skipVideo -w

Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

I just got a new computer running Windows 10 with the current updates and I had the same problem until I took out the -dd_sw switch. Try taking that out.

Like the documentation says:
-dd_sw : Handles DirectDraw via Software. We’ve found this can make a huge difference on many systems as far as reducing interface lag and making button clicking in-game more responsive. On a few newer systems this can cause some visual glitches and slow combat animations though, so give it a try and remove it if it’s not ideal on your system.

Now my system runs in full screen perfect, smooth and fast.
Windows 10 may be the best Windows I’ve ever had.

This is my command line:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -fd -altFont -cpu2 -multiaudio -px1920 -py1080 -deepColor -skipVideo -archive

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
anglonorman

Post by anglonorman »

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that I was indeed running win10. I tried the switch and did a quick start of the game to test it and works great.

Thanks for the help to all!!
Dave.
heppy1972

Post by heppy1972 »

Thank you!!! I was just going to ask about this very issue because on W10 machine it really was unplayable... I tried again today to work a turn and the scrolling caused me to quite. So glad I decided to check the forum for an answer and it was right there. Again Thanks!
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

When discussing Windows 10 switches... it's good to mention what version of Win 10 you are running. An easy way to find out is to open a commmand prompt and type the command winver (followed by Enter). It will provide a popup window with the version.

Version 1607 runs best with -dd_sw (as do prior versions of Windows), but as of version 1709 reports have been -dd_sw is best turned off.
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: Korvar

When discussing Windows 10 switches... it's good to mention what version of Win 10 you are running. An easy way to find out is to open a commmand prompt and type the command winver (followed by Enter). It will provide a popup window with the version.

Version 1607 runs best with -dd_sw (as do prior versions of Windows), but as of version 1709 reports have been -dd_sw is best turned off.

I run 1709, took out -dd_sw and lag showed up. Will put it back in.
Bill Goin
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Thanks for the info. That's the best thing to do; experiment with -dd_sw on your system and do what works.

Early reports that I heard were that turning off -dd_sw was solving sudden lag which appeared after the 1709 update. There must be other factors involved, such as the video card or whether 1709 was installed fresh or as an update.

I didn't get very far with 1709 before I reverted back to 1607; 1709 made my system behave strangely (completely unrelated to WitP:AE) so I never got around to properly testing WitP:AE with it. I've been so busy lately that experimenting with 1709 is not a priority for me.
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: Korvar

Thanks for the info. That's the best thing to do; experiment with -dd_sw on your system and do what works.

Early reports that I heard were that turning off -dd_sw was solving sudden lag which appeared after the 1709 update. There must be other factors involved, such as the video card or whether 1709 was installed fresh or as an update.

I didn't get very far with 1709 before I reverted back to 1607; 1709 made my system behave strangely (completely unrelated to WitP:AE) so I never got around to properly testing WitP:AE with it. I've been so busy lately that experimenting with 1709 is not a priority for me.

When did 1709 come out? It may have been in my misguided detour into World of Warcrack. Quit that cold turkey a few months back. Back to WITPAE.
Bill Goin
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

1709 (aka "Fall Creator's Update / Redstone 3) was released in October of last year... although Microsoft doesn't roll out the update to everyone at once, so you may have updated later than that.

I'm not sure WitP:AE will be any better in the addictiveness dept. than 'Warcrack' - but with that said, welcome back fellow addict!

Return to “Tech Support”