Airborne unit eligibility for air dropping

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

trh2164

Airborne unit eligibility for air dropping

Post by trh2164 »

I have successfully dropped some paratroops earlier in this game. Now I am following the same procedure and the box to select the transports/fighters is not coming up. What am I doing wrong?

Para unit has movement points and is 40+ experience
Unit is in the same hex as the base with the transports, which have 0% or 1% miles used and are Li-2, so have enough capacity.
Airbases are in clear or light woods.
I am selecting Air Drop mode.
Then select the hex with the para unit and base.
I shift-left click on an empty hex only a few hexes away (so in transport range and within 8 hexes of a friendly unit) and the paradrop symbol appears in the hex but the select air unit box never comes up

I have tried several different hexes that have paras and bases with transports and several different targets and none are able to drop.

I tested the procedure in a solitaire game and it worked.

Using 1.11.01

trh2164

RE: Server game and paratroop drops

Post by trh2164 »

Problem solved....
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

How?

could you detail the step by step that worked for you?
trh2164

Post by trh2164 »

I was hoping someone would ask!

My interface procedure listed above is correct. The issue is the morale and experience of the airborne unit. The manual says 40 is required but from my situation it seems more like 50. I had several airborne units in bases with transports but none of them would drop. They were all 45-50 morale and listed in the airborne units filter as more than 40 experience. Looking at their individual TOE line items there was at least one line of the TOE with less than 40 experience though. The ones that did drop had 50+ morale and 50+experience with no TOE lines less than 50.

It would be nice to get clarification from Morvael about this. A small dialog box stating the unit is not eligible to drop (during the dropping process) would have saved me a lot of trouble.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Average unit experience (weighted by element numbers) must be 40+, I see no morale restriction.

All that are used:
para unit
not loaded
not motorized
avg exp > 39
mp > 0
brigade or smaller
no support units attached
trh2164

Post by trh2164 »

ok good to know.

It seems then on the calculation of average experience. On the screener it showed the ineligible units with >39 experience.
morvael

Post by morvael »

The problem is the same method is used in CR.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”