Gaining Experience

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Phil

Gaining Experience

Post by Phil »

I'm sure that this question has been asked, but how is are experience points attained in SPWAW for indiviual units?
I know that the unit that gets the last shot in when a unit in destroyed gets the points, but how many? And is it the same for a dispersal as when a unit is destroyed? Is there a way to know how much a particular unit is worth before it is destroyed/dispearsed? And finally, how does all this effect the leader units and their promotions?
Thanks abunch.

PS- Just a quick note of appreciation now that the CDs will be sent out soon- maybe tomorrow! All my friends are sick of me telling them how great it's going to be! Now I'll be able to show them how great it is!!
Phil
BA Evans

Post by BA Evans »

Here is my take on how Exp. is calculated in the Steel Panthers games.

1. Units with low Exp. will gain Exp. faster than units with high Exp. for the same actions.

2. All units have a chance to gain a small amounts of Exp. if they survive a battle. In an earlier version of SPWAW I had a Special Ops. squad go up in level, even though he never infiltrated during the battle.

3. The fastest way to gain Exp. is to "kill stuff". The more you kill, the more chances you have to gain Exp.

4. At the end of the battle, the computer must go through a series of checks to see if your unit has gained Exp. You are not gauranteed Exp. if you survive and kill stuff. You must pass some sort of check, to see if you gain Exp.

I do not know how this is calculated. I just know that green units are likely to gain more Exp. than Elite units for the same actions.

BA Evans
Phil

Post by Phil »

I don't know.
I seem to think that the "value" of a unit has something to do with the experience gained.
I once tried to keep track of units killed or dispearsed to compare to points gained at the end of the battle, but the opfire kills just messed that all up.
Oh well, could one of you programmers give us some insight to all this??
Phil
ruxius

Post by ruxius »

Listen to this : I did an experiment..I wrote down all the values in a paper of my core units after a battle ended..I went through the rebuild menu and after new deployment I looked at their changes...
Till here e'thing is normal...Now what did I do ?
But I loaded again the old saved game with the last turn before the rebuild menu...and I went on the rebuild menu again...
After that at the next deployment I noticed values were not the same !

SO :
Random get a great part on the amount of unit's skills and experience points..this simple test is just enough to say that we cannot look for any relatiopnship between life of the unit except of his odds !
BYE
Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”