Some questions from noob

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

spellir74

Some questions from noob

Post by spellir74 »

Load delay after patch normal?

"S" in Finland means "surrender" I assume.

But what does "S" on trains mean?

"N" on train?

What do the inner command circles confer?

Attack with multiples = hidden detriment (over and above the over-stacking penalty)?

In hex w/ HQ = movement penalty?

Must enter liberated city with unit?
Must stay in it for a turn?

"Officer card" functions /benefits not clear.

Re assigned Pz under starting 'logistics' or new = not clear. (Under starting I think.)

Truck graphics for trains on reassigned.

Attack screen should be see thru, so one can see his divisions behind it. Where is the graphic? Looks like chalk board or leather. I will do it myself. I searched for over an hour. I hope it isn't hard coded for some reason.

test

lancer

RE: Some questions from noob

Post by lancer »

Hi spellir74,

'S' in Finland is the point where, if taken by the Russians, the Finish government will sue for peace.

Trains are marked N / C / S which correspond to their theatre -> North / Centre / South.
Trucks are marked after their Panzergruppe -> 1, 2, 3 & 4

I'd check the manual regarding combat penalties as there are a number of factors and it's explained in detail.

The only movement penalties are those shown on the map in the little white boxes (manual -> movement)

There is no need to enter a liberated city with a unit, as long as it is within your sphere of influence.

Check the manual on the Officer cards as there is, once again, a lot of detail.

Reassigned Panzergruppe logistics are tricky to explain in a sentence or two but it's illustrated at length in the manual.

Most of my answers are unfortunately in the vein of RTFM 'cause that's why it's there but if you still have queries that the manual can't answer come back and I'll do my best.

With regards to your comments in another thread a smaller, learning scenario, would have been a valuable addition to the game but doing this was a time intensive exercise and the time was spent elsewhere (it came down to having a detailed manual or a small intro scenario and the manual won). This is a very time intensive game to develop by a one and a bit man team that targets a tiny niche in the big wide gaming ecosystem and there are limits to what can be achieved given the revenue it generates. Overall it's probably offering significantly more depth and innovation than most wargames out there although that's a very biased opinion from the guy who made it.

Cheers,
Cameron
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

Hi Lancer.

@Lancer:
"Trains are marked N / C / S which correspond to their theatre -> North / Centre / South."

Oh yeah. [:(]

I searched the PDF. There is no mention of the inner command circle colors, that I found.

And the 'attack screen' popup graphic location.

Anyone else want to answer those?
test

lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi spellir,

Graphics are found in the /graphics/systemgraphics/cat1 folder. You'll need png's of the same dimensions of what you're replacing. I can't remember off hand which one is the attack screen.

What is the inner command circle colors that you're referring to?

Cheers,
Cameron
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

ORIGINAL: lancer

Hi spellir,

What is the inner command circle colors that you're referring to?

Cheers,
Cameron

When clicked on, the command radius is red/orange as the outer ring then blue then green as inner. E.g Some of those confer say, more supply advantage? Or they all simply confer increasing combat modifiers?

Thanks for pointing me to the png. The 'attack graphic' is a square (a horizontal rectangle in game) that is blackboard or black metal like (with scratches or chalk marks on it; one being an x) that is divided into 4 bolted panels (those quads are not seen in game).

I modded it and it works well. Success. I uploaded it to the Mods sub forum.

Attachments
capture_15..8_001355.jpg
capture_15..8_001355.jpg (190.93 KiB) Viewed 301 times
test

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

You might want to save that png to another location too. Since future patches will most likely overwrite it...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi spellir,

O.K, got it. Press '5' to highlight an HQ's command radius overlay.

This provides a combat bonus, the closer you are to the HQ the bigger the bonus (the different colours show the steps in the bonus). There are a number of other game mechanics that are keyed off a division being within the command radius of it's HQ. Basically you want to keep your subordinate divisions within range of their HQ.

There's an icon in their unit details box below that lets you know if they have strayed too far from the fold.

Cheers,
Cameron
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

Thanks, Lancer. [:)]
test

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”