Still no full Korean War?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
m10bob

Still no full Korean War?

Post by m10bob »

Is there still no scenario for the entire Korean War?
Some folks may conclude that "police action" ended in 1951, if I read the scenario list correctly, when it actually went to 1953.

Many years since CONFLICT:KOREA, and TOAW IV sure has better graphics and game engine.

sapper32

RE: Still no full Korean War?

Post by sapper32 »

Loved Conflict Korea the dragon wakes scenario, Look on Rugged Defence there is a Korean scenario that runs into 1953 by Derek Weik? If i remember
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

If I remember correctly, the Chinese launched an attack in July of 53, just before a treaty was signed....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
barkhorn45

Post by barkhorn45 »

porkchop hill.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Some folks may conclude that "police action" ended in 1951, if I read the scenario list correctly, when it actually went to 1953.

Many years since CONFLICT:KOREA, and TOAW IV sure has better graphics and game engine.
addedKorea 50-53
tm.asp?m=4434019&mpage=1&key=�
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Larry!...Thank you for this!!!...FYI, my dad was a regimental S2 officer with the 45th I.D. and fought on Pork Chop Hill, which was only one of the local "hills" in the area.
He was also the only "white man" to scout the neighboring White Horse and Old Baldy. He was always accompanied by an EM, a native Samoan and "prince" of Pago Pago, (pronounced pango pango)...

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Larry!...Thank you for this!!!...FYI, my dad was a regimental S2 officer with the 45th I.D. and fought on Pork Chop Hill, which was only one of the local "hills" in the area.
He was also the only "white man" to scout the neighboring White Horse and Old Baldy. He was always accompanied by an EM, a native Samoan and "prince" of Pago Pago, (pronounced pango pango)...
I would really like to see an AAR of this scenario. Got the time?
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I would really like to see an AAR of this scenario. Got the time?

Responded in the mods area that I will indeed, and am presently downloading OPART IV...This one war makes the game purchase worth my while.[;)]

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Responded in the mods area that I will indeed, and am presently downloading OPART IV...This one war makes the game purchase worth my while
I just now got through PMing you a version that you could run on TOAWIII but if you are downloading TOAW IV then just
ignore the attachment and use TOAW IV instead. I tried using TOAW III one time after having gotten used to TOAW IV
and I found the experience actually painful in a game play sense. It seemed hopelessly old fashioned and DOS-like.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Understand your disappointment that Korean War scenarios have not been built to your requirements. But then, who knew what you wanted? The solution to your problem is for you to learn the mechanics of scenario engine and build a Korean War scenario which meets your vision.

Takes time, dedication and knowledge of how the TOAW scenario generator works. I did it, lots of people have done it and you can do it too. You have to open the box and learn the workings. There are plenty of people on this site who would be more than happy to provide guidance.

No one is going to build your scenario for you, but there are people who will help.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Understand your disappointment that Korean War scenarios have not been built to your requirements. But then, who knew what you wanted? The solution to your problem is for you to learn the mechanics of scenario engine and build a Korean War scenario which meets your vision.

Takes time, dedication and knowledge of how the TOAW scenario generator works. I did it, lots of people have done it and you can do it too. You have to open the box and learn the workings. There are plenty of people on this site who would be more than happy to provide guidance.

No one is going to build your scenario for you, but there are people who will help.

Regards, RhinoBones

Rhino, old friend...I know you mean well, and accept your comments as constructive.

Having survived a massive cancer attack, I am left with 1/3 of my lungs and being 68 also am limited to "waking hours", with oxygen a major consideration, lol.
My life has been changed drastically, (former Army Ranger), and at least one of my oncologists thinks I acquired the cancer from Agent Orange, in Vietnam service?
Larry Fulkerson sent me a fantastic scenario which is exactly what I was looking for, called KOREA 50-53...I have played a couple of weekly turns and it is like the old CONFLICT:KOREA on steroids.

The cancer is licked, (having done it's damage)...and thank God my mind is still as active and sound as ever.
Please accept my original post as a "catalyst" of sorts, and thanks to the kindness and consideration of Larry Fulkerson...I have been successful.[:)]

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
"I tried using TOAW III one time after having gotten used to TOAW IV
and I found the experience actually painful in a game play sense. It seemed hopelessly old fashioned and DOS-like."

Larry, lol....I am "old fashioned" and maybe that is part of the reason I find this scenario a delight..
I have (over the years) owned most of the original "monster games" and the ones in S&T magazine..Also several of the older Avalon Hill games, and the last decade has been spent with SPWAW and various platforms of the entire WITP series from Uncommon Valor to WITP-AE...[:D]

rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Rhino, old friend...I know you mean well, and accept your comments as constructive.

Having survived a massive cancer attack, I am left with 1/3 of my lungs and being 68 also am limited to "waking hours", with oxygen a major consideration, lol.
My life has been changed drastically, (former Army Ranger), and at least one of my oncologists thinks I acquired the cancer from Agent Orange, in Vietnam service?
Larry Fulkerson sent me a fantastic scenario which is exactly what I was looking for, called KOREA 50-53...I have played a couple of weekly turns and it is like the old CONFLICT:KOREA on steroids.

The cancer is licked, (having done it's damage)...and thank God my mind is still as active and sound as ever.
Please accept my original post as a "catalyst" of sorts, and thanks to the kindness and consideration of Larry Fulkerson...I have been successful.[:)]

M10bob

Old friend, sorry I don’t recognize your call sign. Did you use a different sign years past?

Larry is a champ. Good man and friend. He takes care of problems and ensures all TOAW players have access to the resources they need . . . particularly veterans.

Years ago I had a rather dim view of the 60’s and 70’s draft army. When it was my turn to enlist the draft army seemed like a good way to get killed. So I picked a different service were getting killed was less problematic. Thru it all though, I never lost my respect for the Rangers. Dedicated people committed to an elite military organization. People who fight against the odds.

I have also been treated for cancer, nothing as severe as yours, but in my small way I can appreciate your fight. Soldier on.

The Army Ranger Creed:

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite Soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other Soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained Soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.

Rangers lead the way!

Regards, RhinoBones

M10bob

The above is what you signed up for . . . I salute you.

Colin Wright:

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

M10bob

Old friend, sorry I don’t recognize your call sign. Did you use a different sign years past?

Larry is a champ. Good man and friend. He takes care of problems and ensures all TOAW players have access to the resources they need . . . particularly veterans.

Years ago I had a rather dim view of the 60’s and 70’s draft army. When it was my turn to enlist the draft army seemed like a good way to get killed. So I picked a different service were getting killed was less problematic. Thru it all though, I never lost my respect for the Rangers. Dedicated people committed to an elite military organization. People who fight against the odds.

I have also been treated for cancer, nothing as severe as yours, but in my small way I can appreciate your fight. Soldier on.

The Army Ranger Creed:

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite Soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other Soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained Soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.

Rangers lead the way!

Regards, RhinoBones

M10bob

The above is what you signed up for . . . I salute you.

Thank you Rhino...Have not seen this in a while, lol..

You would have enjoyed "Splinter City".

Rule#1, Rogers Rangers....Keep your powder dry.

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Indeed... For King and Country!

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (128.49 KiB) Viewed 113 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

You would have enjoyed "Splinter City".

Not sure exactly what Splinter City is, but I do know that I was once told that I was the perferct size for a Tunnel Rat. Never had to do it, but it did scare the crap out of me.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

The "Tunnel rats" of Cu Chi made a legend for themselves..very harrowing duty..The NVA were veryadept at building entire bases underground, complete with many rooms and even hospitals...The Soviets made it their mission to train people all over the world with things they learned in WW2 and this went from use of their equipment, to tactics, squad level on up.
The "Tunnel Rats" would find the entrances and enter them with flashlights and generally shorter barrelled firearms, (to prevent their barrels from being grabbed when corners were found.)....They penetrated as far as possible...killing as quietly BY HAND as far as they could in order to gain intel as to unit, unit size and to what extent the place had been established..
Some of these tunnels were represented in that Mel Gibson movie when that element of the 1st cav deployed right on top of a regimental "anthill", IIRC?

Those guys were north of me, IIRC and I never saw them.
(Nor did I ever see a SEAL, as they were well south of me in the Delta area. I was in 3 Corps.)

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”