pbem help needed

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jhyden

pbem help needed

Post by jhyden »

greetings,

when i try to load the first turn (coral sea) from the japanese player, i get the message 'saved game failed to load!'. the name of the file sent is "wpae010.pws".

In slot#10, the name of the file is called 'saved game'.

when i create a new pbem game, the name inside of the slot is called '5/4/42(PBEM1)'

any thoughts appreciated - thanks

~
geofflambert

RE: pbem help needed

Post by geofflambert »

As the Allied player, you do not create new pbem games, only the Japanese player can do that. Save what your opponent sends you into your save game folder. It does not matter if you had something else saved there (in slot 10) before, it will replace it. Then begin by opening that save game file. The file name will always be "wpae010.pws", it will never be "saved game" or "5/4/42(PBEM1)".

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Trying to understand your description of the problem. If your opponent sends you a file named "wpae010.pws" and you save it to your save game folder, that is the name of the file and it will be found in slot 10. You have the ability to change the "description" of the file to, say, "PBEM with Joe Blow" but the file name will remain "wpae010.pws".

jhyden

Post by jhyden »

hi,

here is some more info and clarification. i think i can only upload one pic per message so i will post multiple replies:

1. i am the allied player and have received the file wpae010.pws from the japanese player.

Attachments
filenames.jpg
filenames.jpg (15.03 KiB) Viewed 97 times
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

2. i then move the file wpae010.pws to my "save" folder

Attachments
savefolder.jpg
savefolder.jpg (12.75 KiB) Viewed 97 times
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

3. when i load the saved game, i see the following:

Attachments
savegamefail.jpg
savegamefail.jpg (42.57 KiB) Viewed 97 times
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

when i sent the japanese player my 'test' pbem file, it loads fine in his game.

Attachments
pbem.jpg
pbem.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 97 times
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

i guess what we'll do is for me to be the japanese player and go from there.

thanks for reading -

~
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Is your game dial set ot PBEM or "Japanese Computer", or "Head to Head"?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

It would seem that the wpae010.pws file sent by the Japanese player is corrupted. Have him resend it and see if it loads.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

First off, stop using two slots for the game. If you've agreed to use slot 10 with your opponent, use it. Both your final save game should be wpae010.pws as well as his. Do not use slot 06 unless you are using it as a backup. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how PBEMs work. Repeat after me, "there is one slot, there is only one slot, no other slot exists." Once you get the hang of that, you may use other slots as backups at various stages of any turn as you wish. He will send you wpae001.pws which is your replay of the action from the previous turn. He will also send you wpae010.pws which is the actual turn for you to complete, then save as wpae010.pws and return to him.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

First off, stop using two slots for the game. If you've agreed to use slot 10 with your opponent, use it. Both your final save game should be wpae010.pws as well as his. Do not use slot 06 unless you are using it as a backup. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how PBEMs work. Repeat after me, "there is one slot, there is only one slot, no other slot exists." Once you get the hang of that, you may use other slots as backups at various stages of any turn as you wish. He will send you wpae001.pws which is your replay of the action from the previous turn. He will also send you wpae010.pws which is the actual turn for you to complete, then save as wpae010.pws and return to him.
That's the easiest way to do it, but it's works fine to rename wpae010.pws to wpae032.pws and vice versa. WITP-AE will run fine, but the utility program Tracker needs to know which save game number to look at so it is easier to use the same one all the time.

Bill's explanation about the file being corrupted sounds right; we have seen that before.
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

hello chaps and thanks for the replies.

After my first game completed (pbem) i understand stuff.

-

As the Allied player, you do not create new pbem games, only the Japanese player can do that. Save what your opponent sends you into your save game folder. It does not matter if you had something else saved there (in slot 10) before, it will replace it. Then begin by opening that save game file. The file name will always be "wpae010.pws", it will never be "saved game" or "5/4/42(PBEM1)".

roger

-

You have the ability to change the "description" of the file to, say, "PBEM with Joe Blow" but the file name will remain "wpae010.pws".

how do you change the description? do you mean by adding a comment? I tried changing the (windows) file name (ex: wpae003.pws -----> turn3_James.pws) but the file never showed up inside of the game (file was copied to the SAVE folder)... thx

-
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Is your game dial set to PBEM or "Japanese Computer", or "Head to Head"?

My game was set to "PBEM", not sure about the other computer... thx

-
ORIGINAL: BillBrown

It would seem that the wpae010.pws file sent by the Japanese player is corrupted. Have him resend it and see if it loads.

roger...thx

-

i crack up every time i look at your pic of the gorn. [8D][:D] ...thx

-

ORIGINAL: witpqs

That's the easiest way to do it, but it's works fine to rename wpae010.pws to wpae032.pws and vice versa. WITP-AE will run fine, but the utility program Tracker needs to know which save game number to look at so it is easier to use the same one all the time.

Bill's explanation about the file being corrupted sounds right; we have seen that before.

-- THANKS --

~

Return to “Tech Support”