Air Command Limits

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

BK6583

Air Command Limits

Post by BK6583 »

I'm not sure this question has an easy answer. The manual shows several calculations regarding how many aircraft a given air leader can effectively employ given his commend ratings. Problem is I'm math illiterate. In layman's terms, how can I roughly count how many aircraft a given air leader can effectively employ? As an example, playing the Germans in the D-Day campaign. Per the tutorials, I have moved all single engine fighters to the Ruhr (somewhere in the neighborhood of 900 fighters). They are all assigned to the I Jagd Corps (Schmidt), which is assigned to Luflotte 2 (Richthofen). Is this too much for I Jagd Corps to effectively employ? Put differently, is there a rule of thumb I can use to (very) roughly determine how many aircraft to assign to a given air command (leader)?
loki100

RE: Air Command Limits

Post by loki100 »

short answer is no.

I *think* that it all depends on how you set things up.

Air commander air rating does 2 things. It limits the number of air-directives you can set (ok this is the clear bit) and has an impact on how many planes turn up to fulfill a given mission. The latter is opaque and seems to shift a bit.

Add on, as the axis player, I often set few or no defensive ADs. I usually focus on deploying my fighters to cover possible targets (and take the fuel tanks off so they stay where I've placed them). So I rely on the auto-intercept routine - which escapes the AD cap.

What the rating doesn't do is to set a meaningful cap on planes/command.

To make the relationship evern worse, remember that air commands use their leadership ratings and allocate support squads up to 90 hexes.

So I've ended up using the various air commands simply to organise the airforce (both sides) in a manner that suits me and allows me to make broad brush allocations etc.
Lovenought

Post by Lovenought »

To make the relationship evern worse, remember that air commands use their leadership ratings and allocate support squads up to 90 hexes.

Ahhhhhh. Damn it. Please tell me that this at least works over water? I kept my Air HQs in Britain for like 4 months after D-Day in my current PBEM......
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Lovenought

Ahhhhhh. Damn it. Please tell me that this at least works over water? I kept my Air HQs in Britain for like 4 months after D-Day in my current PBEM......

Yes they do, so its a good idea to keep the air commands back - at least till you are no longer really using the Brittany/Normandy ports as your main supply source.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”