Land movement rate needs fine tuning?

Ageod’s Wars of Succession is a new game designed to cover two major wars that consumed Europe at the eve of the 18th Century.
Johan Grip

Land movement rate needs fine tuning?

Post by Johan Grip »

I have been using the historical movements of Karl XII as a reference to test if it is possible to knock out Denmark, land in Pärnu and march in to Narva at historical dates.

Naval movement seems fine but land movement possibly needs little adjustment?

I also briefly looked at movement requirements for a Blenheim campaign and it would take about three turns to do the movement that Marlborough did in one month.

The main limiting factors to movement in real life where the logistics to support these movements en route and the time to overcome fortifications they encountered.

Efter hundraåriga skiften
våga nalkas till hjältegriften!
Plåna med tårar ut minnesskriften:
hur den störste bland Karlar föll!
Philthib

RE: Land movement rate needs fine tuning?

Post by Philthib »

During the Blenheim campaign, if my memory is correct, Marlborough ferried down the Rhine a large part of his troops, so this is technically feasible here too provided you have enough river boats... I am not sure that swift and exceptional campaigns could be made as a standard reference....the move rate was judged satisfactory by most betas. What can be done for exceptional feats or leaders is to add them a fast mover trait for instance (could be added to Marlborough for instance)...but here again, the majority voted against it...unbalancing the game and generalizing a single exceptional feat is a touchy matter
Support Independent Developers

Johan Grip

Post by Johan Grip »

ORIGINAL: Philthib

During the Blenheim campaign, if my memory is correct, Marlborough ferried down the Rhine a large part of his troops, so this is technically feasible here too provided you have enough river boats... I am not sure that swift and exceptional campaigns could be made as a standard reference....the move rate was judged satisfactory by most betas. What can be done for exceptional feats or leaders is to add them a fast mover trait for instance (could be added to Marlborough for instance)...but here again, the majority voted against it...unbalancing the game and generalizing a single exceptional feat is a touchy matter

I think he and Karl both have the fast mover trait? [&:]

I know he moved infantry by barge and cavalry followed on land, did anyone try recreating this campaign?
It would make a logical short scenario.

On to Karl, he landed in Pärnu on October 6, he moved towards Narva the 12th November and battle was 20th of November.

There might be a few days error do to different calendars as I am writing from my head and dont have the sources with me.

My guess would be that with a 25-30% tweak it would be close to historical, I dont claim to know how that would affect game balance.
Philthib

Post by Philthib »

May be you could "tweak" those values by yourself and see if it works better...by changing the number of days it takes to enter (per terrain), you can speed up the move rate...

For instance, Infantry in clear terrain needs 8 days to enter...reduce it to 6 and see how it goes...

Of course you need to do that for all types of troops and all terrains for consistency...

May be, to start easy, you could use the terrain files from Alea Jacta Est games [:)], they are much closer to what you feel would be right...if it works satisfactorily, then we could make it in a patch...

Johan Grip

Post by Johan Grip »

ORIGINAL: Philthib

May be you could "tweak" those values by yourself and see if it works better...by changing the number of days it takes to enter (per terrain), you can speed up the move rate...

For instance, Infantry in clear terrain needs 8 days to enter...reduce it to 6 and see how it goes...

Of course you need to do that for all types of troops and all terrains for consistency...

May be, to start easy, you could use the terrain files from Alea Jacta Est games [:)], they are much closer to what you feel would be right...if it works satisfactorily, then we could make it in a patch...

I was about to ask where I can edit the values, so just copy the values from AJE?

I dont expect any changes to be done based on one persons opinion, I just voice my first impressions about the game but you have the beta team that I am sure has veteran players giving you feedback.
Philthib

Post by Philthib »

Best is to directly copy the Terrains files

Return to “Wars of Succession”