PBEM Replay Defeats Fog of War

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.
ikrananka

PBEM Replay Defeats Fog of War

Post by ikrananka »

I'm playing a PBEM game and have been nursing a badly damaged sub back to a captured French port by moving it slowly along the Spanish and then French coasts. This should be completely hidden from my opponent, however he told me that during my turn Replays the map moves to the location(s) of where I'm moving hidden units. He therefore realised that I was moving my sub along the coast. He kindly did not take advantage of the information.

I have noticed a similar thing when I watch replays of his turns. The map moves to the location of where he is moving hidden units.

I believe that this defeats the purpose of the fog of war setting and that the map should only move to a different location if a visible enemy unit is moved or does some other visible action.
Taxman66

RE: PBEM Replay Defeats Fog of War

Post by Taxman66 »

As a separate but related issue, in a game vs. the AI, I've occasionally seen the map text over water hexes be overwritten by invisible naval units moving around.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Was it possible that either you or your opponent were switching computers during this PBEM++ game, i.e. going from a Desktop to a Laptop?

I just ask as in this case it is possible that the replay got corrupted if the DAT file needed to be rebuilt as otherwise FoW should not reveal this movement at all as you have already guessed.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Not on my side (watching his replay), I only have one computer with SC3 loaded.

I'm not sure if he was moving said sub first or not. But my replay would immediately start with a jump to the Portuguese/Spanish coast area at the start. A turn or two later it would jump to the Northern Spanish coast.

His 0 supply sub is the only possible thing that could be in that area.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
ikrananka

Post by ikrananka »

Not on my side either. The only change since we started playing is that we both had to upgrade from v1.11 to v1.12.

I also would see the map move to different locations, e.g. mid-Atlantic, Egypt/Red Sea etc., back to Great Britain. With each map move I would not see any unit movement, just static maps, but it allowed me to guess that he was doing something in those areas.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Odd, thanks and I'll look into it.
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

I too also notice that the map moves to different locations during PBEM++ replays and wondered whether this would provide a clue to either side as to where hidden movements are taking place. Ideally, with FOW on, PBEM++ replays should only reveal locations where non-hidden moves/events are taking place.

Now I'm wondering if this is not the case. If it is, then what is the reason for the appearance of different static map locations (without revealing any units) during the replay process?

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

Return to “Tech Support”