P-47D-22 variant

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

sandman2575

P-47D-22 variant

Post by sandman2575 »

So, it's late August '44, and my pools of P-47s are starting to get alarmingly low. I have 7 groups outfitted with P-47D-15s; they need 58 to get back to max. strength, and only 122 remain in the pool. My situation with the P-47D-25s is similar.

But there is this pool of P-47D-22s -- there are a whopping 477 of them in the pool, and here's the kicker, I see in the Logistics panel that some P-47D-15s are getting *converted* to the D-22 model.

And there's **no way to upgrade the D-15s to the D-22s**. Apparently the only upgrade path to the D-22s is via the F4F Wildcat (???), of which there are none in the game.

This is killing me. There's an ample pool of P-47s which I desperately need to fill out losses, but no way to get at all those D-22s. There are no airgroups in my entire airforce that uses them.

???
Denniss

RE: P-47D-22 variant

Post by Denniss »

The D-22 is required to transform the D-15 to a better performing combat machine (paddle-blade props, improved engine). I can't control the conversion speed and it's affected by the new aircraft delay (which I can't excempt it from).
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
GeneralDad

Post by GeneralDad »

ORIGINAL: sandman2575
This is killing me. There's an ample pool of P-47s which I desperately need to fill out losses, but no way to get at all those D-22s. There are no airgroups in my entire airforce that uses them.

It strikes me as a bug since you can change to P-51s or P-38s. But, as you note, no choice to get the P-47D-22 variant from the list no matter whether you have P47, P38 or P51. Why a carrier fighter (the Wildcat) would upgrade to a P-47 also mystifies me. If the Wildcat existed in the scenario then I think it should upgrade to Hellcat or Corsair.

Bug??

GeneralDad
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

ORIGINAL: Denniss
The D-22 is required to transform the D-15 to a better performing combat machine (paddle-blade props, improved engine). I can't control the conversion speed and it's affected by the new aircraft delay (which I can't excempt it from).

All of which would be fine **if there were some way to eventually upgrade airgroups using the D-15 to the D-22**

As GeneralDad suggests, this does look to me like a bug.

Does the F4F Wildcat show up in any of the WitW scenarios? (Was it even historically used in the ETO? I believe the Martlet version was used by the RAF in Europe -- but did the USAAF in Europe ever use it?)

I seems like, as currently configured, there's simply no reason for the D-22 to even be represented in the game. For all practical purposes, it may as well not exist.

Put the D-22 in the P-47 upgrade path for the upcoming Patch?
bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

The D-22 pool will be available to your FB groups within a month or two.

As Denniss points out, there is a delay in the availability of new Allied aircraft (it reflects the delay between production and delivery to frontline units). "Conversion" actually represents upgrades taking place at US depots (often pre-war airline maintenance facilities) - this was undertaken in order to avoid stopping or slowing down the factory assembly lines for retooling on relatively minor changes. It also represents conversion in the field with kits sent by the manufacturer. There seems to be no way to represent field kit upgrades in the game (where the FB group maintenance personnel installed the kit equipment on planes undergoing normal maintenance).
bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

ORIGINAL: sandman2575

Does the F4F Wildcat show up in any of the WitW scenarios? (Was it even historically used in the ETO? I believe the Martlet version was used by the RAF in Europe -- but did the USAAF in Europe ever use it?)

The USS Ranger (CV-4) supported the TORCH invasion with Wildcats, which also provided top cover for SBD strikes on the Tirpitz in a 1943 raid. During the ANVIL invasion of Southern France, USN Hellcats provided support, shooting down a few Luftwaffe bombers.
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy
The D-22 pool will be available to your FB groups within a month or two.

Are you sure about that? They've already been in the pool for a long while, as evidenced by the fact that almost 500 of them have piled up. Also, there's no upgrade path from the D-15 to D-22. D-15 upgrades to D-25. Only the F4F appears to upgrade to the D-22.

Also, thanks for the historical info -- did not know that about the Ranger, etc.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

F4F upgrade to P-47D-22 was a path error I just removed. For new single engine a/c the delay is 3 months so the D-22 may be used from 10/44.
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

F4F upgrade to P-47D-22 was a path error I just removed. For new single engine a/c the delay is 3 months so the D-22 may be used from 10/44.

Thank you !

Is this fix in the public beta?
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

No, just in my internal version which has not been sent to other devs yet.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”