OT: Question for Royal Navy binocular grogs

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

panzerwilly2

OT: Question for Royal Navy binocular grogs

Post by panzerwilly2 »

Hello, I have a pair of Barr & Stroud 7X CF41 7X50 binoculars that I inherited from my Grandmother. She was married to a British Army Officer who served in WWII. I looked up the binocular's serial number and they were manufactured in 1945. They work wonderfully, but I have a question. They have a red, yellow, and green filter switch for both lenses. In what circumstances would each be used? Sun, fog, night etc... thanks!
JeffroK

RE: OT: Question for Royal Navy binocular grogs

Post by JeffroK »

Barr & Stroud 7X CF41 7X50
The green and yellow filters were meant to increase the contrast of a grey ship against a blue sky and sea while the grey filter was to flatten contrast when looking into bright sunshine or a searchlight beam. This information is thanks to William Reid's fascinating book, " ' We're certainly not afraid of Zeiss' Barr & Stroud Binoculars and the Royal Navy", ISBN 1-901663-66-3, NMS Publishing Limited (National Museums of Scotland), 2001.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/ ... 3234405689
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
panzerwilly2

Post by panzerwilly2 »

Thanks very much! I'll take them house boating this summer and see if I can spot any U-boats :-)
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Treat them well, they appear to be worth a bit on the market.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”