Yom Kippur War - Released

The Community Project is a free wargame construction set to existing owners of DC: Barbarossa

Moderators: Vic, lancer

lion_of_judah

Yom Kippur War - Released

Post by lion_of_judah »

This version of the Yom Kippur war is AI capable. Syria for now is the only regime tested and so far they do a pretty good job giving Israel a major headache. I have not fixed the NATO images yet as Vic has requested as I just haven't had the time, but it is on my to do list.

When opening the scenario you will get a graphic error message, but this is fine just hit yes. The graphic missing is the Mechanized Airborne silhouette so not a big deal. This will be fixed in later updates.

In 1967, the Israeli Defense Forces scored a decisive victory against the combinded forces of Egypt, Syria and Jordan. Israel controlled the strategic Suez Canal and the desert wastes of the Sinai. The Arab world vowed revenge.

The Preparations: Six years later, the forces of Egypt and Syria attacked the Zionist State again. This time, the Egyptians worked out a careful plan to cross the canal and backed up the plan with better prepared, trained, and equipped troops. This set the state for the October war.

Surprise: On October 6, 1973 Egyptian troops forced the canal crossing agtainst surprised Israeli units and cobbered the Israeli first line of Defenses, the Bar Lev fortifications. Success followed success as the tank heavy Israeli army came to grips with another surprise, SAGGER anti tank missiles.

Followup: Content with their positions, the Egyptian commanders practiced a war of attrition until calls for help from their Syrian allies led them to make fool hardy attacks and leave their air defense umbrella. The Israeli's took the oppurtunity to affect their own canal crossing and made a lodgement on the Egyptian side of the canal.
lion_of_judah

RE: Yom Kippur War - Released

Post by lion_of_judah »

just uploaded a new version, v1.5. This update fixed a grammatical error I found in the Scenario description section.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

OMG, so looking forward to playing this. Thank you, yet again, for all your hard work.
A Sharif
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

you are welcome. Hope you enjoy it. There are still a few things I would like to add with this, but that will be later. Any problems, improvements you come across let me know. I don't know if I should add more fighter replacements or just have new Fighter squadrons come in on a certain date.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Iraqi Tank Division will arrive as reinforcements for Syria. They will be 3 tank brigades and 1 mechanized Bde. The Iraqi tank brigades had 150 tanks each.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

working on another update as I'm finding the Israeli's too weak. Does anyone else think this or is it just me.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Sorry, I have not even downloaded yet. busy with FoG2, but will do so now and try and give you some feedback as soon as I can.
A Sharif
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I have played two full games of Yom Kippur War as Israel, vs the AI on normal. My strategy was to make a fighting retreat from the Suez against the Egyptians, whilst destroying the Jordanian/Syrian forces before turning my full force on Egypt and defeating them. Sadly it was not to be. Both games played out in a similar manner. Jordanian forces were largely destroyed, but Syria took some land in the North, whilst the Egyptians overrun the remainder of Israel. I suspended both games on 30th Oct turn, when my forces still existed, but were virtually annihilated. I had expected the game to end before then. Now this could be because I am just a bad player, but I suspect you are right in thinking the Arabs too strong/Israelis too weak. Hope this helps. Still an enjoyable game, but not one that seems to reflect history at present.
A Sharif
bdiamond

Post by bdiamond »

Hi, where can this be downloaded?

Thank you in advance!

lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

you can download it from here. Also note that I'm currently working on an update for this

http://www.vrdesigns.net/
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

An update is in the works. I'm attempting to make the Israeli's stronger as in this version they seem rather weak.
ringoblood

Post by ringoblood »

Thank you for your hard work lion_of_judah, Please let us know when the updated version is rdy, im looking forward in trying it out as soon as possible. Again thank you in advance.
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

this new update is not ready yet, but I'm hoping soon. Thanks for the interest
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Yom Kippur update has now been released. I'm hoping I have strengthend the Israeli's so they can hold against the Arabs. It appears they can hold against the Syrians, but it's still iffy against the Egyptians so any feed back and suggestions are needed. Thanks
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Thanks for the update. I am off to download it now and will let you know what I think.
A Sharif
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Have not finished my first full game yet. However, so far my findings are the same as yours. I am advancing in Jordan fairly easily. Holding the Syrians at bay. The Egyptians are advancing and may prove unstoppable. My Father would approve of this version of events. [:)]
A Sharif
Vic

Post by Vic »

Added it to the featured scenarios page :) thanks for contributing to the Community Project!

http://www.vrdesigns.net/?page_id=1346

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Vic
thank you, much appreciated
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Having played the new scenario a couple of times, as Israel, I think it still unbalanced in favour of the Arab side. Not so much Jordan, more so Syria, and a lot more so for the Egyptians. Perhaps I am just playing poorly, but I think not.
A Sharif
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I've just updated this, so now I'm in the process of play testing. I have lowered the Israeli break point to 10 and reduced the Arab replacements a little. I'm hoping this helps.

Return to “Scenario Design with the Community Project”