Delay when zooming/scrolling

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

nukkxx5058

Delay when zooming/scrolling

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Hello, is there any plan to fix the delay when zooming scrolling in order to have a little smoother control over the game ?
I think this issue was already raised by some players in the past and that a fix was under development. Any recent development about this ?
Thanks.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
ComDev

RE: Delay when zooming/scrolling

Post by ComDev »

Have you upgraded to 1.14? Is it the same as 1.13?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

I'm 1.13 - 972.14 . I'm using Steam version. Should I install 1.14 ?? I even didn't know there's an update. Can I update if I'm running it on Steam ?
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Ok I migrated to 1.14.
Not 100% sure but it's maybe a little bit better. Not completely smooth zoom in/out but a slight imporvement ?
How is it suppose to be now with 1.14 ?
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

After doing some testing, I don't really see any change ... I still have about half a second (or so) delay between rolling my mouse wheel and the map actually zooming ...
:-(
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

What's your set-up, nukkxx? If you have an ssd and HDD then I have found that installing on the ssd makes quite a noticeable difference. Aside from that, the size of the scenario - the amount of objects on the map - makes a huge difference. I'm not sure what causes the jerkiness in big scenarios, but I've always assumed it was a CPU related thing, and not just a GPU issue. I know nothing though. I have two graphics cards in my laptop (a common enough set up these days, sadly) - the useless intel integrated chip and a decent Nvidia850M. At least CMANO automatically uses the Nvidia - many games don't even trigger its use, and suffer accordingly. But if you have two cards then check that too.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx
Hello, is there any plan to fix the delay when zooming scrolling in order to have a little smoother control over the game ?

Yes.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

What's your set-up, nukkxx? If you have an ssd and HDD then I have found that installing on the ssd makes quite a noticeable difference. Aside from that, the size of the scenario - the amount of objects on the map - makes a huge difference. I'm not sure what causes the jerkiness in big scenarios, but I've always assumed it was a CPU related thing, and not just a GPU issue. I know nothing though. I have two graphics cards in my laptop (a common enough set up these days, sadly) - the useless intel integrated chip and a decent Nvidia850M. At least CMANO automatically uses the Nvidia - many games don't even trigger its use, and suffer accordingly. But if you have two cards then check that too.
el integrated chip and a decent Nvidia850M. At least CMANO automatically uses the Nvidia - many games don't even trigger its use, and suffer accordingly. But if you have two cards then check that too.
I don't think it's a hardware related issue but an issue known by the devs.

thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I saw you mention in the other thread a 1-sec delay on zooming. I have used Command on laptops ranging from i3 with Intel HD graphics to i7s with 1080ti graphics. I have never seen this 1-sec stuttering/delay you are talking about. Is it as smooth as google maps?...no. But there has to be something wrong with your set up to be getting that kind of performance. Did you list your set up anywhere in the multiple threads you have brought this up?
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Well, I don't know for sure if it's related to my harware or not. I just notice that the issue is known by the devs and they are working at it. My laptop is definitely crapy but all other games, including some ones much more demanding on the GPU are running smoothly, at least as far as the map zoom-in zoom-out smoothness is concerned. For example Supreme ruler, ultimate general civil war, distant worlds, europa universalis amd all paradox games, war in the esat, etc etc. And yes, google earth. Here I can definitely feel that it's due to the way the game is coded, not my hardware. So I don't think it's mostly due to my laptop. And whether it's a 1/2 second or a full second doesn't make a big difference in a world of milliseconds. It's too long.
I wouldn't say it's unplayable. I do play like this. But if the devs can fix it ...

For info I have: i5 2.5ghz + hd 4000 + 8gb ram
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: Dimitris
ORIGINAL: nukkxx

Yes.
Good !
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Well, other people are complaining too ... the various patches released since haven't improve the situation for me ...
https://steamcommunity.com/app/321410/d ... 813/?ctp=2

But good to read that devs are still working on it !
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

My point is you said that you saw a full second delay. I have never seen that. Not even half a second.
HercMighty

Post by HercMighty »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

My point is you said that you saw a full second delay. I have never seen that. Not even half a second.

There you go, case closed.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

For goodness sake. I'm just saying he might want to look at his set up. I am running it on slower machines than his and not seeing big delays like that.
And regardless of devs updating the interface, there might be something wrong with his config. Thanks for contributing.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

For goodness sake. I'm just saying he might want to look at his set up. I am running it on slower machines than his and not seeing big delays like that.
And regardless of devs updating the interface, there might be something wrong with his config. Thanks for contributing.

But what setup/config do you suggest I should I look at ? Where should I start ?
Cik

Post by Cik »

i would look at it while it's running.

are you maxing your RAM? are you writing to swap? what are the temps on your CPU and what is your CPU usage %? etc.

if you are maxing out a specific part of your machine you could look at upgrading that in particular if it's at all possible.

also i've never seen a full second+ delay either and i've used some laptops that were relatively poor. ultimately, command really punishes very specific parts of a machine so if one of those is weak it could probably ruin performance.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

First thing I suspect is the Intel HD GPU. I did a bunch of benchmarking on Intel HD vs nVidia cards and the only noticeable difference was in map movement and zooming. The other place to look is SSD vs HD. My benchmarking there showed most of the impact is loading game and scenarios. But I did note that map scrolling was a little slower.

After that, I would make sure to run Dxdirect again just to make sure. Also, overall, your CPU isn't great. The game is incredibly CPU-intensive and I would expect any medium-sized scenario (600 or so units) to run noticeably slower than smaller scenarios. Anything over 1000 units over I would expect it to be very noticeable. Of course, there other dependencies, like what else is running in the background.

I had a surface book pro 4 with an i5 and HD graphics. I now have a Surface Book 2 with an i7 and GeForce 1050. I have run them side by side. There is a very large difference in map and cursor responsiveness. The point there is the zoom increments are larger than in some map-based games and can give the impression of being slower. The slower your rig, the more noticeable it can be.

None of this is official, but based on some benchmarking and having run Command on six different laptops over 4 years.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

One other thing, check to make sure you are running Command in all cores, not single core. Process Lasso is a great little optimization program I have used almost since day one with Command. It lets you tweak a lot of settings to optimize how Command runs on your PC.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

I can definitely attest to SSD vs HDD and Process Lasso.

I have CMANO stable build on my SSD and the beta build on a seperate HDD on the same machine and there is a noticeable difference in performance. Even my little Zenbook with 4gb of RAM and onboard GPU runs CMANO smoothly due (I think) to the SSD.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”