Rule of the Waves

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

goodwoodrw

Rule of the Waves

Post by goodwoodrw »

Has anyone played this game? The reviews look good and it looks different to most naval games.
Formerly Goodwood

FredSanford3

RE: Rule of the Waves

Post by FredSanford3 »

I play it a lot. Very entertaining. It combines a ship designer with a tactical battle generator basically. You play a nation starting in 1900 and play the role of Chief of the Navy of your country. You have a budget for funding new construction, tech research, O&M and training of the existing fleet, and intel efforts. Your budget may go up or down depending on gov't whims mostly out of your control. You may have some input into gov't decisions, but you are not King/President/whatever. When you go to war, the game will present you with tactical battles to be fought ranging from single ship duels to fleet engagements. The game runs until 1925 (monthly turns), but you can keep going after that (hard stop at 1950) if you want, although the technology progression doesn't go beyond 1925 in the standard mode. However, if you want a longer game, you can choose to make technology progress slower than historical, and vary the technology (e.g. playing with 'varied technology' might give you a game where torpedoes never develop into effective weapons).

The graphics are extremely basic, so don't expect World of Warships or you'll be deeply disappointed. But the tactical model is pretty deep, but you are an admiral, not a ship captain or a gunnery officer, so the level of control reflects that.

There's an RTW2 in development (alpha) now, and that will include aircraft, missile and radar tech, and go to 1950. Probably at least 6-9 months away, but that's a guess on my part.

Post by Matto »

Great game, I play it a lot too and it is one of games I'm returning to it ... great replay value !!!
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

modrow

Post by modrow »

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

I play it a lot. Very entertaining. It combines a ship designer with a tactical battle generator basically. You play a nation starting in 1900 and play the role of Chief of the Navy of your country. You have a budget for funding new construction, tech research, O&M and training of the existing fleet, and intel efforts. Your budget may go up or down depending on gov't whims mostly out of your control. You may have some input into gov't decisions, but you are not King/President/whatever. When you go to war, the game will present you with tactical battles to be fought ranging from single ship duels to fleet engagements. The game runs until 1925 (monthly turns), but you can keep going after that (hard stop at 1950) if you want, although the technology progression doesn't go beyond 1925 in the standard mode. However, if you want a longer game, you can choose to make technology progress slower than historical, and vary the technology (e.g. playing with 'varied technology' might give you a game where torpedoes never develop into effective weapons).

The graphics are extremely basic, so don't expect World of Warships or you'll be deeply disappointed. But the tactical model is pretty deep, but you are an admiral, not a ship captain or a gunnery officer, so the level of control reflects that.

There's an RTW2 in development (alpha) now, and that will include aircraft, missile and radar tech, and go to 1950. Probably at least 6-9 months away, but that's a guess on my part.

+1. Like it a lot as well. The ship designer part is really fun to do, especially as the technological progress varies from campaign to campaign, so sometimes you are forced to try something new. Also, your decisions are partly influenced by your prestige, which is the rating you play for and must not fall below a lower threshold.

I did not now about the RTW2. That's great news to me.

Hartwig
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I once played to the end without a single war.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Is this a free game? I am looking at a video now.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

It's the best of all the NWS Naval games, so if you don't have any, this is the one to get.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Thanks for the replies I decided to buy it, however still waiting for the access code. Probably won't get it to Tuesday Australian time cos they suggest it takes up 24 business hours to send, a bit sad , in today's age. I hope the wait is worth it
Formerly Goodwood

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Here is the link to a series of YouTube videos by Grey Hunter of Rule the waves.

I hope that helps you out.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Here´s another avid Rule the Waves YouTube´er...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPOqBHh9Z0&t=57s

Yet another from a newbi prespective...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zfDHwiY2y0
E

Post by E »

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Queenie has more colours in her hats than the game has, but the game appears to have real depth. Graphics are not everything. I have played one game and got the sack because I spent too much. I'll again soon[:D]
Formerly Goodwood

wodin

Post by wodin »

Great game and so is Steam and Iron with the campaign. I believe WW2 and aircraft carriers is next!!
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Not the same, but this is a cool and interesting naval simulation (same company, NWS)...

Modern Naval Conflicts 1970:
http://www.navalwarfare.net/mnc.html

--
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I have finally got going into this game, and like it a lot. You need to manage the budget to succeed. In my second game I have got to 1909, in this time, I have been involved in two wars with Italy and won both of them. The French are the next threat. Don't know why, but I played this game to around 4 am yesterday. It may well be addictive. [:D]

I have edited this post to get rid of some of my poor grammar, obviously I went to bed too late last night as my post struggled to make sense, hopefully its a little better now. I was right about the frogs, they declared war on me and kicked my bum across the channel.
Only played the game for a few hours, but in my opinion it sure hums along. It is one those just one more turn games.[:)]
Formerly Goodwood

FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

So far as managing budget goes, try not to fall into the trap of having lots of construction halted. Halted ships still cost some money. Many new players go "I need a new class of whatever", design it, order multiple numbers, THEN realize they can't pay for it. Also don't go crazy refitting old ships. Fire control upgrades are important (Central Firing, Director, Improved Director & Adv. Dir.), but try to resist upgrading engines and guns- very expensive.

Post by GaryChildress »

When I first purchased RTW I was pretty hooked on it for a few months. I still go back to it from time to time. It's definitely been worth the investment.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Sparse graphics don't worry me, but I wish there was a way to increase the font size.
Formerly Goodwood

ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Does me. I stopped playing it for that reason.

Many people here will say graphics don't matter. Its all about the game.

but its not 1997 anymore. And they do matter. Not for the game, which is fine with what it has. But because every other game that is played has better graphics. And so this one always looks ancient.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

For a look at how real life "Chiefs of the Navy" had to battle against budgets, developing technologies and their own governments (only to be sacked anyway) I suggest "Crisis in the Mediterranean" by Jon K. Hendrickson. It covers the period leading up WWI (1904-1914) and it is an excellent companion to Rule the Waves. Actually, you could consider it to be the strategy guide [:)].

https://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Mediterra ... 653&sr=8-1
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Return to “General Discussion”