Suggestions & wishes for Southern Storm

Please post your wish lists for future updates and releases here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Jo van der Pluym

Suggestions & wishes for Southern Storm

Post by Jo van der Pluym »

1. CREWS

This for all type of vehicles and Artillery. Most of the Vehicles Crews are armed with SMGs or Carbines and sidearms.

2. NEW COMMANDS

Command HIDDEN: A unit tries to hidden and/or take cover for enemy observation.

Command SPOT: A unit does look for the Enemy.

Command AMBUSH: A unit under cover does wait for firing until the enemy until can be effectively engaged or destroyed

Command SHOOT & SCOOT: A unit fires on the enemy and depart.

3. MORE COMMANDS
That you can give a unit more commands together.
Example: Command AMBUSH and Command SHOOT & SCOOT

4. SIDEARMS
In most Armies have Vehicle Crews, Heavy Weapon Crews, Men with LMG or AT RCL, Squad leaders, Officers, Elite and Special Forces a Pistol, most as a backup weapon.

5. SUBUNIT INFO

The number of weapons that an infantry type subunit has is indicated in the Subunit Inspector:
Example 1: Dutch AT Team (2 Men)

1 M3 Carl Gustav
1 FAL Rifle:
1 FN-HP Pistol (For AT RCL Gunner)
2 Hand Grenade (For Assistent)
t
Example 2: Dutch Commando Team (4 Men)

4 UZI SMG
4 FN-HP Pistol
4 M72 LAW
16 Hand Grenade

Example 3: Dutch Armored Infantry Squad (7 Men)

4 FAL Rifle
1 MAG LMG
1 UZI SMG (Squadleader)
1 M3 Carl Gustav
3 FN-HP Pistol (LMG, AT RCL and Squadleader)
5 M72 LAW (Squadleader and Riflemen)
10 Hand Grenade (Squadleader and Riflemen)

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

It's better to be a Fool on this Crazy World
CapnDarwin

RE: Suggestions & wishes for Southern Storm

Post by CapnDarwin »

Jo,

The bad news. Looking at 1, 4, and 5. Those elements are below our visibility threshold at a grand tactical scale. The would be something I would expect to see in a tactical scale game like Armored Brigade or Steel Panthers (Steel Tigers if we ever see it). We may be able to account for crew casualties in the post mortem of the game for added detail/flavor. With the unit scale we use the lowest level of resolution is at the squad/team level. Again, we don't go into detail on the losses within the squad, but only concern ourselves with the overall state of the squad (we could also breakdown losses here as to wounded and killed for end game).

The good news. We are doing many changes and additions to make your 2 and 3 happen. Changes to SOP should yield more controls to do #2 and the changes to orders and waypoints (and command delays) should cover #3 nicely.

Solid ideas. Thanks for Posting. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Jo van der Pluym

Post by Jo van der Pluym »

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin

Jo,

The bad news. Looking at 1, 4, and 5. Those elements are below our visibility threshold at a grand tactical scale. The would be something I would expect to see in a tactical scale game like Armored Brigade or Steel Panthers (Steel Tigers if we ever see it). We may be able to account for crew casualties in the post mortem of the game for added detail/flavor. With the unit scale we use the lowest level of resolution is at the squad/team level. Again, we don't go into detail on the losses within the squad, but only concern ourselves with the overall state of the squad (we could also breakdown losses here as to wounded and killed for end game).

The good news. We are doing many changes and additions to make your 2 and 3 happen. Changes to SOP should yield more controls to do #2 and the changes to orders and waypoints (and command delays) should cover #3 nicely.

Solid ideas. Thanks for Posting. [8D]

Captain Dawin

Thanks for the reply.

Nice to hear that some of my ideas are added.

And I think that it without problems also add my Idea 4 SIDEARMS. Namely to add a Pistol (for Soviet PM Marakov, for US M1911A1 etc) to a countries weapon list and this ythen add to the infantry types of unit. What do you think.

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

It's better to be a Fool on this Crazy World
MaxDamage

Post by MaxDamage »

An option to have no order delay whatsoever. Just a tick in game options (similar to limited orders etc). Whoever wants to use either option will have no trouble with it.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The command and control aspects of the game are getting a total overhaul for Southern Storm allow for local HQs to issue orders with faster responses within their command radii. The deeper the move the longer the delay as thing go up/down the chain to be approved and issued. This can allow for things like localized jamming, loss of contact with force elements and other possibilities. We will have to kick around a zero delay option since it is one of the focal points for how the game engine operates. We would also have to see the impact to the command cycle too.

KungPao

Post by KungPao »

Great! all I want to say is "shut up and take my money!". I read a discussion on limit order a while ago.

tm.asp?m=3775464

. After reading Iron Mike Golf's post #16, I was thinking why not setup a special HQ command range to simulate the fast response of tactical orders.
Glad to see OTS has already thought about that. Can't wait for Southern Storm.
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
MaxDamage

Post by MaxDamage »

I actually dont want too much options of commands. TBH the amount of orders that we have in FPRS is ok/perfect. You have 40 units to micromanage and at some point if there are too many options of orders the game becomes too micro intensive to be enjoyable.

Whether does the current system lead to some silly situations or not it is another question but you could simply accept the game rules as they are because they are a part of the game. Try to bend them to your advantage.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Trust us, we don't want a micro-management simulator either. We want the focus to always be on the player as the force commander, not a tanker or grunt. We are looking at providing tools to allow players to exercise more control over things than in Red Storm, but keep things manageable.

MaxDamage

Post by MaxDamage »

Would like to see those brm1k radars functioning for both games. Roughly speaking this thing should detect vehicles at less then 10 km with both distance and azimuth measured accurately and i think even through clutter such as the woods. Sound coming from that direction helps to identify trucks or armored vehicles. At 10-20 km only azimuthal direction can be measured.
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Max, interesting suggestion but not something added easily.

I can find some specs indicating its performance for static and moving vehicles and infantry, but little about the impact of built-up areas on detection (probably blocking detection) or ability to distinguish between armored vehicles and civilian vehicles. Do you have more information?

William
William
MaxDamage

Post by MaxDamage »

Feedback of former user here.
https://topwar.ru/13191-korshun-razvedk ... rm-1k.html

bat75 user (down at the bottom) writes (google translate):
--------------
I, too, more and more running with PSNR-133 behind. Up to 10 km you could accurately determine the moving object azimuth and distance, and by sound determine the tank or car, passenger or cargo. So over 10 to 20 km determine only the direction. I still did not understand how this radar could see through the hills or the forest?
The sea gyrocompass was needed to determine the exact azimuth and data input for the TNA, and it was superfluous for georeferencing. There was a map, a compass and a laser range finder. Two radio stations and a third type for sending encryption. Dialed the number she sent all the message for a split seconds.
--------------

Regarding ground search radars i think all of them can distinguish movement even through clutter (at least thats what the post implies.) Modern helicopter radars can see and mark moving objects on the map automatically.

Return to “Requested Features and Ideas”