Gotterdammerung 1944-1945 - v4.35

Post new mods and scenarios here
Silvanski

Gotterdammerung 1944-1945 - v4.35

Post by Silvanski »

I made a few minor changes to Gotterdammerung 1944-1945
Unit proficiency, readiness, formation activation, eployment status, replacement rates

v4.35
for TOAW IV
Attachments
Gotterdamm..944-1945.zip
(503.15 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
The TOAW Redux Dude
Meyer1

RE: Gotterdammerung 1944-1945 - Update!!!

Post by Meyer1 »

Thanks man. So many scenarios, so little time...[:)]
Silvanski

Gotterdammerung 1944-1945 - v4.26

Post by Silvanski »

Bump... Updated v4.26
The TOAW Redux Dude
gwgardner

RE: Gotterdammerung 1944-1945 - v4.26

Post by gwgardner »

Silvanski, thanks for all the updates/uploads your making. I check almost every day for the latest.

Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner
Silvanski, thanks for all the updates/uploads your making.
You're welcome.
I'm gonna dig a bit deeper into the TOE of Gtd 1944-1945, cross referencing with some new sources.
There will be another update in a few months.
The TOAW Redux Dude
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

Updated to v4.35
New sce file in first post
The TOAW Redux Dude
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

Thanks,Silvain! I look forward to trying in out soon and seeing what you did to make it better.
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

Changed some formations' garrison deployment to 'static' but most of it is really 'under the hood' and some PO improvements.
The TOAW Redux Dude
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

How does one download a new scenario? I'm new to this.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961
How does one download a new scenario? I'm new to this.
I put together a cut and paste thing to show the steps
involved. It's simple once you've done it once.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (267.8 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

As you can see, there is no visible scenario folder for me to put your scenario in. Not sure why it didn't go in this folder.
Attachments
TOAWPic.jpg
TOAWPic.jpg (204.69 KiB) Viewed 507 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961
As you can see, there is no visible scenario folder for me to put your scenario in. Not sure why it didn't go in this folder.
You're looking in the program files directory chain when you should be looking in "My documents/my games/TOAWIV/scenarios."
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Thank you, Larry.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Great scenario! Thanks for it and the help downloading it.
BigDuke66

RE: Gotterdammerung 1944-1945 - v4.35

Post by BigDuke66 »

Played this a long time ago under TOAWIII.

- Allied Air Power
Problem here was that Allied air units supported Russian ground attacks and Russian air units Allied ground attacks. Air power against Axis is already strong enough, no need to stack this antihistorical by combining Western Allies with the Russians. Now with the possibility to set ranges I suggest a houserule to prevent this, ranges should be lowered to prevent an air unit from covering the frontline on the opposite side.

- German Airfields
In North Germany especially around Hamburg it looks a bit thin. But there seem to have been many airfields in that part of Germany as the usual path of British Bomber Command was over the North Sea. At least in Stade(41,36) there was an AF from which German nightfighters operated.

- German Air unit availability
As the shortage in aviation fuel was maybe the biggest problem for the Luftwaffe it should be considered to lower the formation supply rating. That seems to be in general at 70% for German air units, maybe 50% would be better.

- Weather
I had tried an older version(4.23) today that had good Winter in Weather zone 2 but with the current version(4.35) weather in that area is just muddy. Seem not correct for the strong Winter of 1944/45. I wonder if that could be rule related with the new Mud & Snow rules.

- Rule Set
As they can now be set be the scenario designer it would be nice to do so, so to assure that the scenario works the way it should.

- Equipment for scenario past historical date
-- While it is a nice idea to add stuff for a longer run of the scenario it seems wrong to add senseless stuff like the Maus tank. Production plans were already dropped in 1944 and it did not come past 2 prototypes. Besides this it wasn't really combat capable with the lack in power to weight ratio it just crawled and with its weight it couldn't get past any bridge. Basically it was just a huge bunker at best.
-- The He-162 is one thing that should be added already earlier, afaik JG 1 had at least 15 He-162 on hand at the end of the war and was the only unit to receive them(maybe except I./EJG1 but that isn't clear). Earliest signs of the He-162 are with I./JG 1 who seems to have had or converted to it from 9th February 1945 on. A planned use of the He-162 with NSFK and the Flieger-HJ in JG 80 was canceled in January 1945.
-- The B-29 might be reasonable only after Japan has surrendered, surely not already in May 1945. Besides this does the air power of the Allies really needs a boost like this?
-- Seydlitz units never formed for combat as Stalin never agreed to this. Besides this, do the Russian really need more units?

cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Some design comments from memory.

The issue with Allied air units supporting Soviet attacks was a problem. Now, they should have their range clipped (if not done already); IIRC, not only did they not support Soviet attacks, there were instances of friendly fire against Soviet units.

Another problem was the German airborne (von der Heydte) unit. It was able to drop into the Allied rear and blow bridges etc. -- without the presence of hundreds of French and Belgian light infantry battalions that were performing a security role behind Allied lines. My knowledge of the French metropolitan OOB was very sketchy back then.

This was designed in the days before multiple objective tracks, and starting with the Ardennes Offensive made things messy because the Germans had both advancing and retreating phases in the scenario.

The weather was challenging to model because on 16 December 1944, it was still relatively mild in terms of temperature, but got very frosty afterward. I recall Thomas Kolley pointing out to me the photographs of the initial German advance in the Ardennes -- some or little snow. By comparison, the photos of the Allied counterattack often depict heavy snow. Not to mention the Ardennes/Eifel area seems to have its own weather at times.

If the old map looked a bit stitched together, that's because it was. The Eastern Front was the map from Thomas Kolley's "House of Cards" scenario, and I expanded it to the west so we could create a "Germany 1945" scenario at division level.

I should mention Thomas was a talented Dutch wargamer and very good person to work with. He has a lot of knowledge of the World War Two military forces. We also had some interesting "philosophical" discussions about things like place names. My hearty thanks go to Silvanski for keeping this scenario going.

Cheers
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

There are still some issues which I intend to resolve, like setting the range for the RAF/USAAF and Red Airforce. It has always baffled me why they re so willing to supporting other nations, even I set them on army support.
I will schedule production of the Volksjager earlier.
The HJ HE-162 unit, Maus, B-29 and Seydlitz units are indeed speculative but so is the extended time frame.
The Luftwaffe has a permanent negative air shock after Bodenplatte, which incapacitates enough air units to simulate fuel shortage imo
The TOAW Redux Dude
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

There are still some issues which I intend to resolve, like setting the range for the RAF/USAAF and Red Airforce. It has always baffled me why they re so willing to supporting other nations, even I set them on army support.
In order to get the developers to even look at this bug we're going to need to have some evidence that it really is happening just that way. Some kind of proof.
Is anybody willing to do some sandbox tests to get the necessary screenshots, etc. to put together some kind of evidence that it's really going on?

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”