CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no devoncop please

After Action Reports
Zorch

RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW)

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 69
14th May 1941

So lets see what difference the Tiger Convoy has made:

Matilda II = 150
MKVI = 164*
A-9 Cruiser = 46
A-13 Cruiser = 100
Crusader Mk I = 29

* I seem to be 2 missing but I can't be bothered to search.
1 MKVI lost overboard during unload at Alexandria
2 Matilda II accidentally lost during unload at Tobruk
1 A-13 Cruiser lost during R&R at Cairo
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 71 - Axis Turn
21st May 1941

However, there are other developments afoot.... The Axis have moved on the Allied positions at both Buq Buq and Sofafi.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (157.79 KiB) Viewed 73 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 71
21st May 1941

The order goes out...FIRE!!

The Royal Navy has recently received reinforcements and rushes these ships to the coast off Buq Buq to pound the HQ units on the coast. The RN continues to do the same at Tobruk. Meanwhile the artillery available at Sofafi, Buq Buq and Bir Khamsa do the same.

After a string of barrages, elements of the 3rd Motor Brigade attack from their positions at Bir Khamsa. They force the Italians to retreat but other units - German and Italian - come to their assistance. However, these units too are forced to retreat.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (149.87 KiB) Viewed 73 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 71
21st May 1941

The turn finishes off with further bombardments. The German/Italian units northwest of the southwestern strong point are devastated by a barrage that wipes out the bulk of the forces there.

At Bir Khamsa two of the Italian units that originally retreated from the Indian attack are also destroyed in the follow up barrage.

Its now a case of waiting to see what the Germans have lined up for me.....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (87.77 KiB) Viewed 73 times

ChuckBerger

Post by ChuckBerger »

Following this with great interest, and considering buying the game. I'd be interested in your views on whether the game "feels right". To my eyes, bombardments appear to be far too frequent, and far too powerful. I can't wrap my head around the idea that mere bombardments are wiping out entire battalions of troops.

From what I know, bombardments were effective in disrupting troops prior to an attack - destroying C&C, limiting movement, and shattering unit morale and cohesion, rather than actually destroying units. Neither side had the supply to just bombard at will - the Cth forces had to accumulate ammo for months prior to the huge barrage unleashed at Alamein, and even there it's impact was in disruption and opening up lines of attack, not direct destruction of enemy units.

And the RN appears far too powerful in the game - shore bombardments just weren't a major factor in the desert war - there was some bombardment around the siege of Tobruk and a few other spots, but it was more of a nuisance than anything else.

Air power also appears too powerful (and from your experience, skewed towards Axis). Neither side had the numbers or ordinance or tactical doctrine to have their small desert air forces exert a decisive impact on ground operations. Air was most useful for recon and disruption/attrition of C&C and supply, not direct attacks on ground troops.

Does all that ring true for the players? It just seems like there is far too much deadly air/naval/artillery stuff going on, and not enough actual troops fighting.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I can only speak for this scenario (as its the only one I've played) and I've not got that far in any of them yet so I am speaking from early days experience.

However from what I've seen:

- The Royal Navy is waaaaaaaaay to powerful. There was no fleet train and so they should not be allowed to stay on station for ever. They seem to roam the coast at will (although Curtis Lemay indicates that is because the right aircraft have not been used to attack them with - and maybe they are actually more vulnerable than it currently appears).

- I am only getting one side of the story at the moment but it looks like the Italian air force is a little too strong - they simply weren't a factor during the early war.

- As for battles generally, its probably too early to tell. Yes artillery support appears vital, but then that is no bad thing of course - but whether it is too important I'm not sure at this stage.

- Does it feel right? Well I am more of a strategic wargamer so I probably am not the correct person to ask about operational aspects of warfare, but...

- One thing that definitely needs to be said. This is such a fun game! Aesthetically it feels damn right. I have finally got to play in the sand with the CW, the Italians and the Germans at battalion level, from 1940 (the war didn't start with the entrance of Rommel [8|]), with control of my squadrons and with an elegant solution to try and allow the conditions that led to the 'Benghazi handicap'.

DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 70
17th May 1941

The game continues in a cat and mouse phase. The RN seek to fight back but the problem is the Commonwealth can't spot the artillery fire....

Historically the CW should be preparing for Operation Battleaxe - but until I know where the panzers are I just cannot take any risks....

Unfortunately while I don't recall the exact turn/date you're not going to have any theater recon again until the historical tide has turned against the axis; I think it might be timed for when a new British commander arrives. The only way you're going to find out where they're lurking is to send something forward to do recon.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 72 - Axis Turn
24th May 1941

Well the last turn was not a feint - the Axis are launching a major offensive it seems.

I'll need to examine this closely as it looks like Tobruk has taken an absolute hammering. The 3rd Polish Battalion and the 3rd Australian Machine Gun Battalion are wiped out in the maelstrom of shot and shell. Lumme!

More Axis units are arriving around Sofafi, while south of Buq Buq the enemy are looking to outflank the Commonwealth to the south.

Sadly real life and work calls so will have to pick this up later...

ChuckBerger

Post by ChuckBerger »

nvm
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 72
24th May 1941

First off a big shout out to the Free French [&o]. Worried about the gap south of Buq Buq, I stationed the marines to guard against an envelopment from the south. They held firm, with air and naval support, against an attack by Italian infantry, and only gave ground when elements of the 15th Panzer Division came to the assistance of the wavering Italians.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (178.06 KiB) Viewed 73 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 72
24th May 1941

The big question is, what do I do about these Axis units? I placed an armoured reserve between Buq Buq and Sofafi, but I don't want to panic and use this at the first sign of trouble.... I limit my assistance to providing the Frenchmen with a battalion of infantry....

Fudge! I chanced my arm... I used bombardments to try and disrupt the Axis with a view to making an attack at the end of the round once I'd softened the enemy up.. instead my forces fail a proficiency check.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 73 - Axis Turn
28th May 1941

The Germans did have a plan to envelope Buq Buq from the south and strong panzer forces push forward onto the coast road and put all defenders out of supply. This is serious and a failed proficiency test early in the turn could be curtains....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (273.26 KiB) Viewed 67 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 73 - Axis Turn
28th May 1941

To the south, at Sofafi another German panzer battalion (unidentified) appears.

Meanwhile at Tobruk the Australian, British and Polish defenders are being gradually whittled away. In this game the RN may be too strong but they need to be. Without them the Germans could have walked into Tobruk...

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (231.1 KiB) Viewed 67 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 73
28th May 1941

The threat of a failed proficiency check means I cannot hold back. My armoured reserve (1st Army Tank Brigade) needs to head northwest. As they do so, so the presence of Italian flank protectors is detected. I can't get at the German units on the coast road.....

Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 67 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 73
28th May 1941

I immediately order the 51st Field Artillery Regt. to cancel its planned bombardment of the Italian tank unit and instead order the 73rd Anti-Tank Regt. to attack. The Italian tank battalion is forced back and this reveals yet more Axis units in the area, including another panzer battalion (unidentified). I can only hope and pray for a second round....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (235.79 KiB) Viewed 67 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 73
28th May 1941

It looks like the Commonwealth are dead meat. The number of units - German units in particular - is just too great. Pulling back is not an option because that would simply bag the entire 2nd Armoured Division (who I believe are not re-built) plus three field artillery regiments, a New Zealand Brigade and other units. I might as well try and save the units and if I die trying then at least I've tried....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (280.14 KiB) Viewed 67 times

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

@warspite1 dude: I really like your AAR a lot. Thanks for the effort to put it together
for us. Much appreciated.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 73
28th May 1941

The 42nd RTR destroy the Italian infantry in front of them, and the tanks of the 1st RTR force the Italian/German forces to retreat, but the tanks of the 7th Armoured, in the middle, are unable to force the German panzers back.

I wish I hadn't dug-in with the units at Buq Buq, now but if the turn had suddenly ended then I would have been kicking myself for not doing so.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (252.81 KiB) Viewed 67 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

@warspite1 dude: I really like your AAR a lot. Thanks for the effort to put it together
for us. Much appreciated.
warspite1

Thank-you. I must confess its not great showing everyone what a twat I am at war gaming [;)] - but hey, its fun [:)] and I have to congratulate my opponent devoncop for this excellent move [&o].

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 73
28th May 1941

The sneaky Italians put a reconnaissance battalion on the Sofafi-Sidi Barani track... I attacked last turn but could not dislodge the unit, so I try a little harder, scrapping together all the pen pushers, cooks and cleaners that I can from the HQ's...

Meanwhile southeast of Sofafi I have ordered two motorised infantry from the 2nd Armoured Support Group, to form a link with 7th Armoured/1st Tank Brigade. Note these were already dug-in and so maintained their movement - unlike the rest of the units in and around Buq Buq.

The plan is to try and destroy the II Battalion, 5th Panzer Regiment and its support - or at least push them back. Note the crossed swords on the motorised infantry directly north had to be removed as bombarding with the artillery would increase the chance of ending the turn... Let's hope I don't regret that decision.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (316.18 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Return to “After Action Reports”