Troubles understanding the game

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

AndrejS

Troubles understanding the game

Post by AndrejS »

Hi guys, my first post here.

First of all, i haven't played ASL before so i'm totally new here. Last week i've decided to try the TOTH but from the start there are some issues that hinder my understanding of the game.

To be able to enjoy the game, one should understand why things happen and how the end result "is calculated". Since the original TOTH counters don't give much info about the units, i've tried ASL3D counters. I understand the meaning of most of the numbers, but some (many) are still a mystery to me. Since the combat result is based on these numbers, i'm lost atm. Hopefully reading the rules at sites like advancedsquadleader (almost no info) or rulesbook of 650+ pages is not the only way to master numbers. Where can i find info about the unit capacities or smoke placement exponent? And of all other important numbers that populate unit counters? Luckily, there's Target Combat Advisor to at least generally predict the outcome of the combat action.

Then there's the LOS tool, which after entering hex coordinates tells whether unit has LOS to the target. Well, the tool says NO, but i can see the unit 10 hexes away across the two orchard hexes that one of my tanks (buttoned up) can see. My unit is not a mortar or other ordnance unit to use forward observer like this.

Paullus

RE: Troubles understanding the game

Post by Paullus »

AndrejS have you checked out the video Tutorials I made? You can reach them from the Main Screen.
Also Idjester has made some excellent videos of the game on his Youtube channel. You can find them through here https://youtu.be/hw5e1KBy7tw
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
AndrejS

Post by AndrejS »

Paullus, of course, that was the first thing i did (TOTH main screen, Tutorials button). Also watched some of Idjester's videos and streams, but there was nothing regarding "the math behind the game". And like i said, i like the game very much and i can play without much of a problem but i would like to know why
things happen the way they do. Yes, TOTH is different from the ASL in that area because it takes away 600+ pages filled with rules and makes the game enjoyable to broader audience and that's great. But it has still many rules i'm not aware of (since i haven't ever played ASL). Like i said, i would buy a manual on counters with explanation what every number on the counter (ASL3D) stands for. I don't need exact explanation, but i'd like to know that when a unit has capacity C and uses weapon W, the end result of firing from range of 3 hexes on a unit in a wooden structure will likely be favorable to me. I know that all the numbers won't be available all the time (FOW), but one should use all the accessible info. That way i wouldn't be using the combat advisor all the time. I'm sure that most of you, ASL veterans, don't need such help, but i'm only doing my first steps.

Thanks for your help.
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Thats good, I just need to know what you have done already. You should check out this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4407157
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
AndrejS

Post by AndrejS »

Thanks for the link [&o], obviously i only did a clumsy search.
Hope this will enlighten me.
AndrejS

Post by AndrejS »

Hi Paullus,

can you also arrange that i can stay at home and not go to work tomorrow, cause that ASL videos are just what i was looking for?

Again, many thanks for showing direction.

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”