Directive 21 1941-1945 V4.45

Post new mods and scenarios here
TPOO

Directive 21 1941-1945 V4.45

Post by TPOO »

Attached is the latest update. This will be the last update for awhile. Updates to equipment file so replace in the graphics override directory. Briefing covers update changes. House rules clarified in more detail in the briefing. Thank you.
Attachments
Directive..9411945.zip
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 293 times
Silvanski

RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 V4.45

Post by Silvanski »

I don't wanna nitpick but I spotted a few anomalies
Maybe something to look into whenever you plan an update

The Romanian 5th Fighter Group started only with 24 He-112's (no replacements) and converted to the Bf109
There are 3x SdKfz233 and 4x SdKfz251/16 (both 1943 models) in the 1941 starting line-up
The 128mm guns in the German festung units like Danzig appeared in 1944
The TOAW Redux Dude
TPOO

Post by TPOO »

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

I don't wanna nitpick but I spotted a few anomalies
Maybe something to look into whenever you plan an update

The Romanian 5th Fighter Group started only with 24 He-112's (no replacements) and converted to the Bf109
There are 3x SdKfz233 and 4x SdKfz251/16 (both 1943 models) in the 1941 starting line-up
The 128mm guns in the German festung units like Danzig appeared in 1944
Thank Silvain much appreciated. I keep trying to update the OOB as this kind of info is found. The 5th Fighter also got a few IAR-80 as replacements as well.
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

I am on turn 112 of the previous version, and I have two major issues:

The rate of rail conversion has been noted on many previous threads, but I am unable to undertake Case Blue because supply does not reach beyond Rostov. Two lines leading to Rostov have not converted a single hex in the 12 turns since I used the TO delclaring Case Blue, So 12 turns of Shock have been unused as I simply cannot advance beyond the supply net.

The other occurance since Turn 100 has been the constant flip flop of double turns. Double turns are not fun and should only occur when there is a permanent shift of initiative, not every turn.

It is likely I will have to quit the game, which is obviously a lot of wasted effort.
It's only a Game

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

It is likely I will have to quit the game, which is obviously a lot of wasted effort.
I'd like to second that emotion. It's so bad ( the supply situation ) that I'm tempted to give RR
engineers to all the engineer units so they can repair rail too. But don't release the changed verson
into the wild. It would unbalance the scenario terribly but it would be more fun for the players.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
DD696

Post by DD696 »

Do the RR units repair when they are embarked, or do they have to be disembarked in order to repair the rail lines? If they repair only when disembarked, then the player will be losing a repair turn each time they are railroaded to a new location.
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Do the RR units repair when they are embarked, or do they have to be disembarked in order to repair the rail lines?
The scenario briefing suggests that they don't need to be disembarked, just near the location for the repair to occur.
I've tried disembarking them and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I realize that the Axis had supply problems but
when the RR engrs don't repair the rail the advance can't advance. I'm wondering if there's not a better way to handle
the repairing of rails.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

I'm wondering if there's not a better way to handle
the repairing of rails.

Put control back in the hands of the players. Create a lot of small (but "powerful" in terms of rail repair) user-controlled units which are not rail bound so they can march ahead to repair.

I applaud the designer's attempt to use the autorepair function. Not only does he maintain historical number of rail units,it also makes it easier for player. Elegant in design, apparently not so in execution by the program.

From what I've seen "auto" doesn't mean automatic, as it appears there is only a percentage chance of the automatic repair occurring. Or perhaps certain other "not so obvious" conditions apply for the automatic repair to occur. So although the scenario has 14, 13, 4 or 12 auto repair hexes established in the event engine (depending on the time frame) the player isn't getting all of those. Or maybe none of those in the Karonagames' case, which I'd hazard has something to do with a breakdown in the event chain.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

the constant flip flop of double turns.
We are supposed to be able to start scenarios in Hotseat Mode in order to avoid this, but this feature is currently broken [:(]

That said, I have created work arounds for this in some other scenarios, so maybe I should do the same for D21.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Put control back in the hands of the players.
The % chance would be the same if you have to make the extra clicks to attempt a rail repair, so changing it to a manual system would make no difference. The player already has as much control with the automatic system as they would with a manual system. The issue isn't with the system used in the scenario, it is with the disastrous collapse of the Axis supply system after the initial phase of the campaign. Case Blue was historically delayed while waiting for the rail heads to catch up to the front. The scenario is designed to reflect this and after the initial phase of Barbarossa, repair ability reflects the Axis inability to maintain three Army Groups.
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
The % chance would be the same if you have to make the extra clicks to attempt a rail repair, so changing it to a manual system would make no difference. The player already has as much control with the automatic system as they would with a manual system. The issue isn't with the system used in the scenario, it is with the disastrous collapse of the Axis supply system after the initial phase of the campaign. Case Blue was historically delayed while waiting for the rail heads to catch up to the front. The scenario is designed to reflect this and after the initial phase of Barbarossa, repair ability reflects the Axis inability to maintain three Army Groups.
Case Blue was historically delayed while waiting for the rail heads to catch up to the front. The scenario is designed to reflect this and after the initial phase of Barbarossa, repair ability reflects the Axis inability to maintain three Army Groups.

I have so far waited 7 weeks beyond the historical start date of Case Blue for the rail lines going to Rostov to convert. How long should I expect it to take?

In Directive 41 which has a May 1942 Start date. all the Rail Lines upto the start line are converted. Is this not the correct reflection of the historical situation?
It's only a Game

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Can you zip a sal file and post it so we can have a look ?
TPOO

Post by TPOO »

ORIGINAL: karonagames
ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Case Blue was historically delayed while waiting for the rail heads to catch up to the front. The scenario is designed to reflect this and after the initial phase of Barbarossa, repair ability reflects the Axis inability to maintain three Army Groups.

I have so far waited 7 weeks beyond the historical start date of Case Blue for the rail lines going to Rostov to convert. How long should I expect it to take?

In Directive 41 which has a May 1942 Start date. all the Rail Lines upto the start line are converted. Is this not the correct reflection of the historical situation?

I am on Turn 110 in my run through test with the scenario and have rail repaired to all areas of the front including through Rostov so this is not a design issue. This scenario has been around for 10 years and this simply has never been a design issue with the scenario.
I do not know what is happening with your issue so we would need a saved file to see what is happening. Thank you.

Also if you look on the AAR thread you will see Jukipo's rail map of progress and on Turn 40 and had rail repaired on three lines to the edge of his fronts.

The main rule of thumb here is the more rail ( all rail) you capture free on turns one, two and three the better the odds of repair are going forward. Use the panzer groups as spearheads to advance through territory and capture all rail and not be bogged down mopping up killing Soviet units.
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

This games is a continuation of the T46 that Larry pulished in his AAR so 70 turns have been played.
Attachments
Directive..1945115.zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
It's only a Game

TPOO

Post by TPOO »

This games is a continuation of the T46 that Larry pulished in his AAR so 70 turns have been played.

Ok
I have reviewed your save file. You are behind in rail conversion in the South mainly because you have captured Murmansk and used a lot of rail repair up in that sector. Had you not done that then those conversion hexes would have been available elsewhere. However, Murmansk is a key acquisition, so there was a trade off. The rail repair units are to spread out. You are trying to convert to many different segments. They should be concentrated on 3 segments, 4 at the most. The Axis where not able to conduct multiple offenses during the summer of 42 so the spearhead should be in less sectors for now.
Other than that you are ahead of historical as you have captured Murmansk and Leningrad and other than Rostov you have all other production centers that the Axis had to this point. The only weak area is your Axis heavy rifle squads are low and should be closer to 40,000 but the Soviets are lower as well. I do not think you need to abandon your game at this point.
I also concentrated the rail units into two spearheads in the south and ran a couple of turns and was gaining two hexes per turn in each spearhead. It will pick up more if I were to bring all the rail repair units down south.
Also to note you are taking over one of Larry's games and he had not repaired rail properly in that AAR, especially in the South. If you see my note above in the other post it is imperative that you capture as much free rail on the first 3 turns as possible. I ran a test with the PO playing the Germans and even Elmer can get a intact rail with in a couple of hexes of Minsk on the first 2 turns. That is one of the keys.

Thank you for playing the game!![:)]
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

Thanks for the evaluation and advice. Baku or Bust! (arriving in 1952!)
It's only a Game

DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

ORIGINAL: TPOO

Ok
I have reviewed your save file. You are behind in rail conversion in the South mainly because you have captured Murmansk and used a lot of rail repair up in that sector. Had you not done that then those conversion hexes would have been available elsewhere. However, Murmansk is a key acquisition, so there was a trade off. The rail repair units are to spread out. You are trying to convert to many different segments. They should be concentrated on 3 segments, 4 at the most. The Axis where not able to conduct multiple offenses during the summer of 42 so the spearhead should be in less sectors for now.
Other than that you are ahead of historical as you have captured Murmansk and Leningrad and other than Rostov you have all other production centers that the Axis had to this point. The only weak area is your Axis heavy rifle squads are low and should be closer to 40,000 but the Soviets are lower as well. I do not think you need to abandon your game at this point.
I also concentrated the rail units into two spearheads in the south and ran a couple of turns and was gaining two hexes per turn in each spearhead. It will pick up more if I were to bring all the rail repair units down south.
Also to note you are taking over one of Larry's games and he had not repaired rail properly in that AAR, especially in the South. If you see my note above in the other post it is imperative that you capture as much free rail on the first 3 turns as possible. I ran a test with the PO playing the Germans and even Elmer can get a intact rail with in a couple of hexes of Minsk on the first 2 turns. That is one of the keys.

Would parking the Finnish rail repair units in Helsinki keep them from burning so much rail repair quota converting the rail line north from Kandalaksha to Murmansk (the advance south to Louhi would still need repair the other direction to maintain supply)? Or would they still try to repair the nearest hexes unless sent through Lenningrad into Russia proper?

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius
TPOO

Post by TPOO »

ORIGINAL: DanNeely

Ok

Would parking the Finnish rail repair units in Helsinki keep them from burning so much rail repair quota converting the rail line north from Kandalaksha to Murmansk (the advance south to Louhi would still need repair the other direction to maintain supply)? Or would they still try to repair the nearest hexes unless sent through Lenningrad into Russia proper?

If parked well away from damaged rail they should not be influencing any repair.
DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

ORIGINAL: DanNeely

Ok

If parked well away from damaged rail they should not be influencing any repair.

That's not as bad as I feared then, but still has the feeling of a noob trap.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

But you were complaining about lack of repairs in a game that you were up to turn 112. Why would you give us this one instead of the one that you complained about ?

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”