Cancelling an air attack order

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

nukkxx5058

Cancelling an air attack order

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Is it possible ? I ordered a strike on a friendly hex by mistake and can't find how to cancel it ...
Thx.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Oberst_Klink

RE: Cancelling an air attack order

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

Is it possible ? I ordered a strike on a friendly hex by mistake and can't find how to cancel it ...
Thx.
Friendly fire can happen... did you click on the target hex (your won people!) and used CTRL-K again?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

won't work ... doesn't cancel the strike order
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

And I also have a second question: can I order (and if yes how?) an attack on an apparently empty hex ? The hex might in fact not be empty, just that I can't see inside because of FOW but I suspect ennemy presence. As I couldn't select an unit, i couldn't give the air attack order.
thx
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

And I also have a second question: can I order (and if yes how?) an attack on an apparently empty hex ? The hex might in fact not be empty, just that I can't see inside because of FOW but I suspect ennemy presence. As I couldn't select an unit, i couldn't give the air attack order.
thx
AFAIK and tested/seen myself, indirect fire works with artillery... As with ground units, you have to more or less reveal if something is there...

Artillery Dialog: This displays the artillery available in the current scenario. Note that Indirect Fire attacks are carried out at the beginning of the next turn.

Air Attack: This allows you to call in an Air Attack on the current Hot-Spotted Hex. A target marker is placed to denote the impending Air Attack, but the attack can be delayed for several turns. Once plotted, the Air Attack cannot be cancelled, and you are limited to one Air Attack per hex. If the Air Attack arrives when the targeted hex is out of Line of Sight to any friendly unit, the Air Attack will be recalled and be no longer available. There is also a small chance the Air Attack will strike a friendly unit as the Air Attack may be off target (randomly drifting one or two hexes).

So, you might be lucky not to be attacked by your own AF.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Arf yes I now remember I read this in the manual some time ago regarding cancelling air strikes. Too bad. I don't get the logic of this rule as ordering an attack won't reveal any information about the enemy positions. As long as the end turn button has not been pressed it shold be possible to cancel the attack order.

Regarding indirect fire, yes it works with arty but apparently not with air attacks. Again, can't see the undertlying logic ...

Maybe someone can explain the rational behind these rules ?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

By the time you call your airstrike or plotting your artillery, it's more than likely already inbound.

Aborting inbound artillery and airstrikes is difficult.

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Arf yes I now remember I read this in the manual some time ago regarding cancelling air strikes. Too bad. I don't get the logic of this rule as ordering an attack won't reveal any information about the enemy positions. As long as the end turn button has not been pressed it shold be possible to cancel the attack order.

Regarding indirect fire, yes it works with arty but apparently not with air attacks. Again, can't see the undertlying logic ...

Unlike in other games (e.g. TOAW and others I have to say), you can't do 'recon' by shelling... which I find realistic. Unless you use recon drones or the latest Manticoran missiles or the Havenite equivalents... ;)

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

OT a bit...

I know you can't wait to go through my Tutorial '50s series (in the pipeline), but on YT there are some entertaining and useful tutorials, from Jason himself (for 1.02 though) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE50zYvBDrY) and from a chap who calls himself Agrippa Maxentius (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYO9YbW7BWI).

Regarding the latter, I am not sure why he picked the last name of a knows usurper!...

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

By the time you call your airstrike or plotting your artillery, it's more than likely already inbound.

Aborting inbound artillery and airstrikes is difficult.

Yes, but it's a turn-based game. If it was a real time game I would understand but for a turn based game, as long as the order doesn't provide the player any new information (like moving a unit and unveiling an enemy unit hidden by the FOW) then the order should be un-doable.
The air strike order should be impossible to cancel only after pressing the end turn button
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

OT a bit...

I know you can't wait to go through my Tutorial '50s series (in the pipeline), but on YT there are some entertaining and useful tutorials, from Jason himself (for 1.02 though) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE50zYvBDrY) and from a chap who calls himself Agrippa Maxentius (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYO9YbW7BWI).

Regarding the latter, I am not sure why he picked the last name of a knows usurper!...

Klink, Oberst
I'm not looking for a tutorial, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind these game's rules ... it's in fact a question for the devs. Why did they make this choice ?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I'm not looking for a tutorial, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind these game's rules ... it's in fact a question for the devs. Why did they make this choice ?

Cheers Nukes, It's been like that since incarnation of the series, and thus the question would be why have the devs not altered it. We like friction, we like SNAFU, we like blue-on-blue. So it is not likely going to be addressed.

Calling the Airstrike with hotkey used to be Numpad-5, next to unit facing keys of Numpad-4 and -6. I hit it accidentally every game I had Airstrikes available... We changed that at least [:'(]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
zoikkis

Post by zoikkis »

I also get unwanted airstrikes from time to time by mis-clicking something. Maybe it could be added to Options menu: "Ask for confirmation when placing an airstrike"?
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: zoikkis

I also get unwanted airstrikes from time to time by mis-clicking something. Maybe it could be added to Options menu: "Ask for confirmation when placing an airstrike"?
This would be an elegant solution !
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Sorry guys but I for one am not warming up to this. Ask for an Airstrike with wrong co-ordinates and sh*t will happen [:'(]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
marcdhanna

Post by marcdhanna »

Save your turns each time. If you bungle an airstrike, reload :) Not sure if that's allowed PBeM...

Since the developer is not warming to this, now is the time to learn how to program a mod yourselves to fix the problem, such as it seems to be to y'all.
Prajñ&#257;p&#257;ramit&#257;
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Sorry guys but I for one am not warming up to this. Ask for an Airstrike with wrong co-ordinates and sh*t will happen [:'(]
Prajñ&#257;p&#257;ramit&#257;
Same with blue-on-blue ground 'combat'... happened a few times to me *grin*

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Blue on blue ground combat is different. Because you have the combat result immediately and if the result was bad for you, you could be tempted to undo it. So it's normal that the undo button is deactivated. And in fact it's precisely my point: as long as ordering an air strike doesn't bring new information, it should be possible to undo it when you click the wrong hex.
It's a turn based game and the gamer average age on this niche market is probably slightly above 50, meaning dudes badly strugling with a mouse and eyesight. [:D]

Waiting for the mod then ... :-)

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”