How does the A.I works and is it any good ?

Ageod’s Wars of Succession is a new game designed to cover two major wars that consumed Europe at the eve of the 18th Century.
KarlXIIc

How does the A.I works and is it any good ?

Post by KarlXIIc »

I am new to the Ageod engine. As I understand it the underlying engine has been used for several different historical strategy games. What is the strengths of the A.I ? Can someone comment how it works and if there are any improvements made in this incarnation ?
Searry

RE: How does the A.I works and is it any good ?

Post by Searry »

You should really only play against other players in PBEM. The AI is for practising a new game.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
KarlXIIc

Post by KarlXIIc »

That sounds very discouraging. I always play as a single player. Games with very good A.I is for example Decisive Campaigns: From Warszaw to Paris and you don´t need to play against a human. Is the A.I really that bad ?
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

I own all of the AGEOD games and love them all. I play both against the AI and PBEM. There is no problem with the AI ... and learning about the historical settings they cover is a lot of fun...
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
jack54

Post by jack54 »

I have many Ageod games and play only against the AI. I have fun. Once you get used to it you'll probably win but it can still be enjoyable.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
rudisa

Post by rudisa »

I own a whole bunch of AGEOD games and I only play single player. I enjoy these games immensely. The AI seems to make perfect sense to me, in most cases, and is still able to defeat me.
Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 975
GTX 680
12 GB ram
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: saintus

I am new to the Ageod engine. As I understand it the underlying engine has been used for several different historical strategy games. What is the strengths of the A.I ? Can someone comment how it works and if there are any improvements made in this incarnation ?

The AI is fine. Pocus has suggested that they use early feedback to see if it can be tweaked etc.

You might find this post useful:

tm.asp?m=4080974

Its for Wars of Napoleon but the focus is on how to use the various set up settings to get a good AI game.
mkeogh76

Post by mkeogh76 »

ORIGINAL: saintus

If you don't have unrealistic expectations then Ageod's AI is ok as PC strategy gaming AIs go. Further, you can boost-up the single-player difficulty through the options menu which offers both AI boosts (cheats) and ways for the player to handicap himself such as ramping-up the attrition and activation levels.

However, Ageod's AI often fairs best in smaller to mid-sized scenarios. Where it struggles, though, are the monster campaign scenarios which are often an Ageod's game biggest selling point. Those monster scenarios require long-term planning as to recruitment, army composition, and overall strategy and Ageod's AI does not do long term planning. Like almost all strategy gaming AIs, it has no ability to plan ahead. So, the longer and bigger the scenario the more "cracks" appear in the AI. It just seems to get overwhelmed by the massive amount of options available.

It does well at creating powerful stacks and often hitting you where you're weakest. Also, it can drive you up a wall by spreading penny-packet armies all over the map which it often uses to lay siege to your towns.

Still, it can be frustrating and immersion breaking especially in those monster scenarios. It repeatedly does head-scratching stuff that reminds one that you're taking on a PC program with very limited strategic capabilities.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Best thread I've ever read on Ageod AI. I also play against the AI only.
Searry

Post by Searry »

I'm interested in playing against the AI but how do you prevent it from sending very small stacks without leaders trying to siege everything at once and then getting defeated in detail. Not occypying important objectives with enough Combat Power or such? Any special settings I should use?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

see the linked thread above - it goes over the set up options and how they affect the AI.

Oddly don't make it too aggressive and make sure it has only a small advantage in terms of visibility. Both will go a long way to stopping it self-suiciding in small raids etc
Matto

Post by Matto »

I'm playing AGEOD games mostly against AI ... there is possibility to choice "give AI more" time and some small advantages and then is AI good and challenging. Don't worry about AI competence ... it is good
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

marek1978

Post by marek1978 »

What would be a way to stop AI from lossing its whole army in winter mots and lack of suppy?

Should i make it that it does noth have historical attrition?
Should i make it less agresive and have smaller visibility andvantege as Loki said?
Searry

Post by Searry »

ORIGINAL: loki100

see the linked thread above - it goes over the set up options and how they affect the AI.

Oddly don't make it too aggressive and make sure it has only a small advantage in terms of visibility. Both will go a long way to stopping it self-suiciding in small raids etc
Your settings didn't help after I tried 10 turns. Maybe I will try low aggressiveness to really make the AI sit tight and save it's men.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

I might try something novel an try playing an AGEOD game solo as a two person hotseat (or equivalent). Lose a lot of FOW, but might be able to glean a lot more of the gameplay than I have to date.
comte

Post by comte »

I have found the A.I. to be quite competent when tweaked properly with the settings as posted above. Currently playing Alea Jacta Est Parthian war and the A.I. managed to surround and destroy my main column (Trajan's 3 legions) while it was advancing deeper into Parthian territory. A.I. also managed to recapture some of it's cities I had taken from them. I left the cities with good garrisons after my main forces moved forward quite surprising for me. I have gotten used to horrible A.I. so I find Athena quite refreshing.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Go to WSS/Settings and backup GameLogic.opt. Then take a look with Notepad++. I always make a number of changes in this file to fit my playing style. A lot you can do in there - for single player only of course. Same for all Ageod games.
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Later scenarios -1706,1709- will be more challenge for Bourbon side and can be good for versus AI play and can be perfect for more experienced player in pbem.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Play Pike n Shot instead or Field of Glory II; you'll enjoy the ai play much better than ageod games.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I must confess, I have always found the AI a challenge, so do not have an issue myself.
A Sharif

Return to “Wars of Succession”