Suggestion for WITE2

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Searry

Suggestion for WITE2

Post by Searry »

Allow us to recombine different divisonal elements(broken down units) to create Kampfgruppen or mixed brigades.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
HMSWarspite

RE: Suggestion for WITE2

Post by HMSWarspite »

Why? Kampfgruppen were smaller than divisions usually, and you are making divisions. What are you missing in WitW that drives this?
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Searry

Post by Searry »

Sometimes if you break down a unit a subunits becomes below strenght it would be nice to attach this unit temporarily to a bigger unit to give it an oomph in cv.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

It's something that has been discussed.

For WitE2 we have introduced Fort Cities. You can now stack more than 3 units in certain hexes (Leningrad, Stalingrad, Budapest etc). The system uses a holder that can group units. It's great but implementing it caused more than its fair share of bugs.

Whether we'll introduce Kampfgruppen is in the air. It's the usual benefit vs effort argument.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Searry

Post by Searry »

It would add nice flavour. Nice to know about the new feature. Will make a lot of battles greatly more interesting.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

I could see some abuses here Historically, KG were used in 2 main ways; as a more flexible way to attach and use assets within a division (say), or hastily flung together semi-random groupings (e.g. Belgium/Holland during Market Garden). The former reflects US Armd Div Combat Commands, (and of course German practice) and ought to be covered in basic national characteristics/division strength. It would be invisible to the player. The latter is closer to what is described here, and there ought to be major debits in command and control, and supplies as they usually didn't have support troops in sufficient numbers. If fragments of divisions could be combined, there should be a big CV hit relative to a properly constituted division. The only exception might be attaching armour to an Inf Div, but I would argue SUs and HQ attachments should cover this already.
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Searry

Post by Searry »

Yeah I know what you mean but I would still like more overall control of my OOB. In WITE1 the Germans are really limited(by design) of their control.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”