JFB in charge of the USN??? BtS Lite ver. 4.5 Kitakami (A) vs Falken (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kitakami

RE: JFB in charge of the USN???

Post by Kitakami »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Layer your CAP at levels below 10k (9k, 7k, 5k) with your best at 9k (Hurricanes), 7k (P-39 or P-40), 5k (Buffalo). Hopefully, your Hurricanes can get the jump when he goes for the slower planes below.
Thanks for the tip. Will do!
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

Another question... what are AmphTrac Engineer Bns good for? Amphibious assaults, construction, or something else?

Thanks!
Tenno Heika Banzai!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

Another question... what are AmphTrac Engineer Bns good for? Amphibious assaults, construction, or something else?

Thanks!
Amphib assaults. Amphtracs are also known as LCVPs, landing craft with tracks so they can drive right up on shore. The ATEBn may not show the LCVP equipment, it is just an abstracted pool of LCVPs and operators that give a boost to unloading rates.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Amphib assaults. Amphtracs are also known as LCVPs, landing craft with tracks so they can drive right up on shore. The ATEBn may not show the LCVP equipment, it is just an abstracted pool of LCVPs and operators that give a boost to unloading rates.

Thanks tons! :)
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

March 17th, 1942

After three months of doing the best they could, the battered defenders of Sigapore have fallen. They had no supplies left, only an Inf DIv and an Inf Bde had a positive AV, and there were no fortifications. My only consolation is that only 1-2 IJA Inf Divs are in any combat shape (around 200 AV each).

Manila's defenders repulsed yet another attack, even though the attackers were reinforced by the IJA 19th Inf Div and other units. They only gained a momentary respite... no way to resupply or reinforce them at this point.

Chuhsien was attacked twice and, although it did not fall, it will fall next turn. They hardly have any AV left.

The one bright note in the turn was that the torpedo planes stationed in Palembang finally flew and, although weather grounded most of them, they were aided by the dive bombers in the region (both USN and USAAF). The result was 2-3 xAK sunk, and 1 DD damaged for the price of 7 Allied planes destroyed and 3 damaged. No supplies reached the Japanese combatants in Palembang. Question... should I attack now that they are low on supply, before they are reinforced? or should I husband my strength?

Will post more when I get the turn, in 1-2 days.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Palembang is x3 terrain (swamp). Best to keep digging in. Don't forget any troops with less than 50 experience has their AV halved.
[center]Image[/center]
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

Palembang is x3 terrain (swamp). Best to keep digging in. Don't forget any troops with less than 50 experience has their AV halved.
Thanks. It is difficult to balance being patient with knowing when to seize the moment. I will be patient.

Also, regarding experience, I did not know that. But Palembang has stood for so long, that there are no units below 50 experience there (and only one is at 50, a non-combat unit).
Tenno Heika Banzai!
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

In China when playing the Allies, I love it when the Japanese player keeps ground bombardments going against a stack. It will steadily raise their experience into the low 50s. Same holds true in Luzon and with your Indian troops. The under 50 experience can be easily overlooked or forgotten when figuring out adjusted AV. Because of this factor, you need to allow troops to keep the same prep location for a long time as their experience will go up once it reaches 100%.
[center]Image[/center]
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

In China when playing the Allies, I love it when the Japanese player keeps ground bombardments going against a stack. It will steadily raise their experience into the low 50s. Same holds true in Luzon and with your Indian troops. The under 50 experience can be easily overlooked or forgotten when figuring out adjusted AV. Because of this factor, you need to allow troops to keep the same prep location for a long time as their experience will go up once it reaches 100%.
Ah! This may explain Manila and Palembang, then. About half of the Allied troops in Manila (in AV) are over 50 experience, and the rest are 40-47.

In China, all my troops are 100 prep now, with the exception of Base Forces. The rest are happily getting their exp up. In India it is close to that too. Not so with some of the Americans and Australians, though. The few available divisions I have are prepping for future ops, but are not at 100 prep yet.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

China: Have you built up Ledo and are you using the C-47s to fly supplies in western China? Have you starting rearranging your forces so you can send the unrestricted Corps to India for full fill out of their TO&E? The cost in PP is not too much if you haven't allow them to take replacements yet. Are you able to keep 2x supplies in Chungking to allow some troops to suck up the 300 plus rifle squads per month? I rotate in Corps to do this throughout the game.

If you can, a screen shot or two of China would be nice. [;)]
[center]Image[/center]
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

China: Have you built up Ledo and are you using the C-47s to fly supplies in western China?
Aye, aye, sir! I do not have many transport planes yet, but even the Dutch transport squadron is doing their best along the Brits. Most American squadrons are in R&R until they get planes, but they are already in position.
Have you starting rearranging your forces so you can send the unrestricted Corps to India for full fill out of their TO&E? The cost in PP is not too much if you haven't allow them to take replacements yet.
There are only three remaining unrestricted corps in China, they have already been bought out with PPs, and they are on their way out.
Are you able to keep 2x supplies in Chungking to allow some troops to suck up the 300 plus rifle squads per month? I rotate in Corps to do this throughout the game.
Miraculously, yes, at least up to this point. i am not having too many surplus squads, though, with the troops outside China sucking most of those produced.
If you can, a screen shot or two of China would be nice. [;)]
There is a huge one a few posts back, from one turn ago. It covers most of China. If there is anything more specific you would like to see, ask away :)
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

Greetings all,

RL has not allowed me to post every turn as I would have wanted, but I determined that at the very least I would give a fortnightly report on how the war is faring. Here is the situation as of April 1st, 1942:

USN:
4x CVs, 2x CLVs, 2x CVEs, with 4x CVE more in the conversion pipeline.
--- F4F-4s have begun to fill the CV squadrons. F2A-3s have begun to be phased out.
5x BBs, 2x BCs, with 3x BBs repaired within the month.

RN, RAN, RNZN:
2x CVs, 1x CVL, 2x CAVs.
5x BBs, 1x BC.

Allied naval losses so far have been light, with the exception of CV Yorktown and BC Renown:

Attachments
alliedshiplosses.jpg
alliedshiplosses.jpg (128.38 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

Japanese naval losses, on the other hand, have been unexpectedly combatant-heavy. The report may have one CVL I did NOT sink, but the rest seems about right:

Attachments
japaneseshiplosses.jpg
japaneseshiplosses.jpg (125.19 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

I have no idea how heavy or light pilot losses have been. Some turns I lose few or none, others I lose tons. Here are the numbers, and I would be really thankful if experienced Allied players would comment on them:

Attachments
pilot losses.jpg
pilot losses.jpg (124.34 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

The following are the Allied plane losses. Compared to Japanese losses, they don't seem too bad:

Attachments
alliedplanelosses.jpg
alliedplanelosses.jpg (226.35 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

And these are the Japanese losses and totals compared. Allied losses are around 900 air frames lower than the Japanese, which I think is good for this stage of the war:

Attachments
japanesep..elosses.jpg
japanesep..elosses.jpg (194.25 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

For those that like charts, here is one:

Attachments
planelosseschart.jpg
planelosseschart.jpg (215.11 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

Ground Situation:

The Philippines:

Surprisingly, Manila has held. Not for much longer, though, as supplies have been zero for a while, and fortifications are finally down to zero too. Assault strength is 1089, and although morale is not great, only four units are below 50 exp, at 47-49. The enemy has fed 1-2 fresh divisions, but it was been rough for the Japanese. Furthermore, 1x manpower, 23x resources, 21x light industry, 10x heavy industry, and the 20 repair yards are damaged.

The DEI:

Dutch New Guinea has been lost, and so have Ceram, Moluccas, Celebes, and Borneo. In Sumatra, Bengkalis and Tandjoengbalai have been lost, and both Medan and Palembang have been invested. Still, even with Japanese reinforcements, Palembang has held. Not only that, but also AAF and USN dive bombers have done their job along the Brit torpedo bombers, and they have sunk a number of transports (sadly after they downloaded most of their cargo, though).

Southern Java has been invaded, with Banjoewangi and Loemadjang lost, and troops advancing towards Malang. Still, with everything else going on elsewhere, I think the Dutch colonials will give a good account of themselves.

In the air, I am running out of fighters, but I have shot down a large number of IJN bombers, so I can't reallly complain. My objective of degrading IJN carrier bombers before they confront my carriers again is being reached (see the Japanese plane loss table above).

The Solomon Sea:

1st China and 1st Maizuru Assault Divs. crossed the Kokoda trail and attacked Port Moresby by land. They were not counting on being received by five Australian Bdes. plus assorted units, that have been increasing their experience by bombarding the retreating Japanese. That they are also being hounded by air by three B-17 units is just icing on the cake.

Burma:
The Japanese have once again crossed the river into Pegu, which is devended by 700+ AV. A few units seem to be trying to sneak past that position and cross the river 1 hex NE of Pegu. It would be interesting if they try, as I have reinforced Burma, and there is an Aussie Div and an Indian Bde there. I do not think my esteemed opponent is expecting them (at least not the Aussies).

In the air, Japanese IJA planes are being chewed up by Allied sweeps which include the Flying Tigers, two units of Hurricanes, and a squadron of Lightnings.

Alaska:

Attu Island is in enemy hands, but Adak has been heavily reinforced. Furthermore, I have sent USN surface assets to the theater, just in case. Unless Falken sends carriers this way, I think I have more than enough to contain him there.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

China:

I have definitely lost ground in China, but not at the speed my esteemed opponent thought I would. Wenchow is still in CHinese hands, and so is Loyang. Chuhsien, Kukong and Wuchow have been lost, though, and Kanhsien soon will be along with Yenan. The rest is in decent (although not great) shape, and Japan has had to keep troops here, which could have been used elsewhere, so I am happy. Japanese losses have also been larger than my esteemed opponent expected, too.

At some point Falken entered Changsha, and promptly left, after seeing what was arrayed against him. All in all, a somewhat successful delaying strategy in the theater.

Attachments
china.jpg
china.jpg (747.1 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

@ny59giants: thank you very much for teaching me how to layer low-level Allied CAP. It has been most effective. Not that I am losing less planes, but they have been taking enemy planes with them now.

Here is another chart, this one showing sunk ships and the VPs they have given. Can't really complain:

Attachments
shiplosseschart.jpg
shiplosseschart.jpg (191.11 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Tenno Heika Banzai!

Return to “After Action Reports”