Minor Sound Question

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

TJD

Minor Sound Question

Post by TJD »

Can anyone identify which .ogg files play when the scenario selection screens appear? Also, is the original ogg for Rising Sun still available?
Crossroads

RE: Minor Sound Question

Post by Crossroads »

Hello TJD, the ogg played at front end is xbackg1.ogg. There's a different ogg in each game folder.

By original Rising Sun ogg do you refer to Talonsoft's version of the game, does it play a different tune? I have those disks still somewhere around, but not available at the moment.

But if you have that version, all it takes is to import the xbackg1.ogg from there to JTCS RS folder.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Hello TJD, the ogg played at front end is xbackg1.ogg. There's a different ogg in each game folder.

By original Rising Sun ogg do you refer to Talonsoft's version of the game, does it play a different tune? I have those disks still somewhere around, but not available at the moment.

But if you have that version, all it takes is to import the xbackg1.ogg from there to JTCS RS folder.

Hey, thank you very much for such a quick reply. Yes, the original Rising Sun tune was different, and I did prefer it. I'm sure I've got the original disks here somewhere. I'll do some rummaging....

Thanks again!

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Just happened to be here, good timing! Do let us know if it is different. Heck, I need to find those disks too...
---
TJD

Post by TJD »

Just happened to be here, good timing! Do let us know if it is different. Heck, I need to find those disks too...

So I found the original Rising Sun disk, but the original sound file is in .wav format, not .ogg. I deleted the ogg and tried to swap in the wav but got a crash. Next, I tried to delete the ogg entirely and got a further crash.
So the thing to do I guess is convert the old file to ogg.

Funny that I love the game so much I'm willing to spend this kind of time on the most minor thing.....
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: TJD

So I found the original Rising Sun disk, but the original sound file is in .wav format, not .ogg. I deleted the ogg and tried to swap in the wav but got a crash. Next, I tried to delete the ogg entirely and got a further crash.
So the thing to do I guess is convert the old file to ogg.

Funny that I love the game so much I'm willing to spend this kind of time on the most minor thing.....

Let me know how it goes! I found my disks but haven't gone to installing them yet. Later perhaps. I was not aware the sound files had changed, in format too, but it's been a good while since I've had Talonsoft versions installed...
---
TJD

Post by TJD »

Let me know how it goes! I found my disks but haven't gone to installing them yet. Later perhaps. I was not aware the sound files had changed, in format too, but it's been a good while since I've had Talonsoft versions installed...

All's well! Used an online converter to change the Talonsoft wav to ogg, and then overwrote the file in my current installation. Happy to post a public link to the file if desired.

Thanks again Crossroads for your prompt help!

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: TJD

All's well! Used an online converter to change the Talonsoft wav to ogg, and then overwrote the file in my current installation. Happy to post a public link to the file if desired.

Thanks again Crossroads for your prompt help!

Sure, why not, would love to hear it [:)]

As I wrote I had no idea these had changed for the Matrix version. Are the EF and WF tunes the same there too, do you know?
---
TJD

Post by TJD »

Sure, why not, would love to hear it [:)]

As I wrote I had no idea these had changed for the Matrix version. Are the EF and WF tunes the same there too, do you know?

Here's a Dropbox link. I think it should work. To answer your question, I believe the EF and WF intro tunes are the same.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Thanks [:)]
---
Vichyssoise

Post by Vichyssoise »

Thanks TJD. [:)]
I hadn't played a RS game since updating to the latest version, and was surprised to discover the new theme. I believe version 1.04 still came with the original theme.
Anyway, I promptly made the change.
TJD

Post by TJD »

Happy to do it, guys. Glad I kept those ancient disks....they have to be the oldest software I own. :)
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I checked the installs, and the attached file is still included in JTCS 1.04, but changed to JTCS 2.0x. All other files have remained the same.
---

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”