Torpedo Question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bearcat2

RE: Torpedo Question

Post by Bearcat2 »

ORIGINAL: spence
in-game design choices limited several historical torpedo squadrons , those dutch float planes had torpedos but not in game. there were mods to the B26 to carry torps also.
some brit torp units also limited.

some uses were very rare or never persued historicly so they were left out of game.

The original designer seems to have bought into the prewar Japanese Doctrine that had the lesser surface ships (cruisers and destroyers), aircraft and submarines of the Combined Fleet would be whittling down the American Battle-line as it advanced across the Pacific before "The Decisive Battle" between the USN and IJN. The G3 and G4 bombers were designed with that purpose in mind. That why their cruisers and destroyers carried torpedo reloads.

Operations Research shows that the Japanese reliance on torpedoes effectiveness was overblown. Although able to produce spectacular results at times such results were far to rare to have a strategic effect. Although many Allied twin-engine bombers could be rigged to carry torpedoes like the G3s and G4s the Allies recognized that the increased training required to deliver torpedoes effectively (such as that received by the groups which sank POW and Repulse) and the cost of the constant maintenance of torpedoes were not justified by the results obtainable with torpedoes rather than bombs so the Allies (Americans anyways) did not pursue an operational torpedo-bombing capability for their twin-engine bombers (torpedo capability was rigged and tested on the B-26, various B-25 versions, the PV-1 and PV-2. As far as I know it was only used operationally by B-26s at Midway and in the Aleutians although there is a photo of one being loaded onto a PV-1 in the Aleutians during a snowstorm (probably not for show).

My father flew[ 47thBG] in A20's; in January/Feb 1942 they flew with the USN Mk XIII torpedo, they never used in combat as they were flying out of Fresno to guard against a Japanese invasion of California. They never carried them after that time because they were transferred to the ETO.
BTW the 47th had 4 squadrons with 25/24 planes in each Sq for a group total of 99
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”