Dropping targets

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Paveiv

Dropping targets

Post by Paveiv »

All right, I will risk the wrath of "usethesearchbuttonpeople". I did search, even manually browsed several sites of this and steam forums, looked through faq, googled and even opened manual. I am using version 972.13 and I just can´t make units drop targets. Well, they actually drop the targets for a second (the targeting vectors disappear) but then they reaquire the targets again. I tried different engagement settings, nothing seems to help. Even when I create simple mission with two group of planes with just waypoints (no mission) to each other, my planes automatically attack the enemy and I cant make them drop the targets. I can make them hold fire but it does not solve the problem. I have not played for some time but I do not remember this behaviour. I suppose I am missing something/doing something wrong but just cant figure out what. Any help would be appreciated.
Cik

RE: Dropping targets

Post by Cik »

what's your objective with dropping of the targets, my dude?

if you drop the target they will reacquire them if they have sensors that can detect them. dropping targets is generally for targets that are far away and not an issue. if there are fighter planes near your fighter planes, that's kind of an issue.. isn't it?
Paveiv

Post by Paveiv »

For example, I tried community scenario USS Midway vs Cuba. Launched several groups of Hornets, vectored them to the enemy planes but for some reason, they ignored group of Mig-23s (and 21s) that was closer to them and instead launched Sparrows into much further group that was no immediate threat at all (mind you, even the closer group was far enought so using Sparrows should not have been an issue, still too far for using Sidewinders). I just wanted them to drop all targets and auto attack (via F1) only the planes in the closest group. But no, in a few secconds, they reaquire basically all the planes in vicinity and engage the further group again.
Cik

Post by Cik »

manipulate the prosecution area of the CAPs to force them to prioritize the closer ones.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

This is why posting a save with a description of what you are trying to do is so important...

1) How is your WRA set?
2) Are you sure they are unassigned from all missions?
3) Did you highlight the planes you wanted attacked when you hit F1?

Just a few of the potential questions that might not be answered without looking at a save.

Paveiv

Post by Paveiv »

I will rephrase the question - is it possible to permanently drop a hostile from target list? If not, why is there a function to drop target?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

The main reason I use it is if you have an enemy unit that is no longer in any type of sensor range, but is hanging around with a large uncertainty zone and screwing up patrols, you can drop it so your patrols are going after it.

If you have sensors on, the enemy unit will most likely be re-acquired after being dropped, if its in range. You can use WRAs to set priorities in missions and on units to not shoot at very specific types of units.

As to the issue in the first post, there are some very good reasons for not firing on the closest enemy unit. The one that comes to mind is the probability of a kill is so low the AI won't fire. If you go into the manual fire screen (Shift F1), you can see why the AI isn't firing.

One thing that puzzles me is if you are telling an unassigned aircraft to fire on an enemy unit, but it can't, the AI doesn't fire on another aircraft of its own choosing. As far as I know.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

This also confuses me...

"I create simple mission with two group of planes with just waypoints (no mission)"

So are your planes, or are they not on missions?
Paveiv

Post by Paveiv »

Ah, I was just used to less automation (have not played in several months, it must have been pretty old version of the game:). I see the targets have "auto" next them but when I target some of them via mission or F1, they get the priority. I will just have to get used to do things less directly via WRA, prosecution zones etc.

What I meant by "just waypoints" is that the selected group of planes got only order to move via F3 and they automatically targetted enemy planes on the way, no mission was created, just the F3 waypoint (hope it is clearer now).

Anyway, thank you all for your responses and now back to shooting down poor Cubans :-)
Luckschaden

Post by Luckschaden »

You can always set doctrine to Hold Fire, and then shift F1 on the targets to see whether you can shoot at them right now etc.
Paveiv

Post by Paveiv »

I did that actually, but for some reason the planes did not face the target but kept flying in circles, which in case of semi-guided missiles is not a good thing. Though easily solvable by setting a waypoint.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

At this point, I am totally confused about what you are actually trying to do.
Cik

Post by Cik »

he's trying to get his fighters to correctly prioritize the bandits that are the most pressing

but you don't use drop targets for that, you use restricting the prosecution area.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Two waypoints, missions, not missions, circling, shooting past other targets...I am not sure its that simple. This is why a save at the time of the question helps.
Paveiv

Post by Paveiv »

Sorry it got you confused, my question from the beginning was simple (so I did not think any save was necessary), can I drop a target without it being reaquired right away? And I got answer, I was just using the game wrongly. Thread can be closed and forgotten.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”