CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no devoncop please

After Action Reports
warspite1

RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW)

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 51 - Axis Turn (cont)
12th March 1941

The big picture....

There is obviously an outflanking manoeuvre going on here. Or is it a feint?

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (169.02 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 51
12th March 1941

The German Panzer battalion that was approaching Gabr Saleh from the south appeared to be on its own. I debate whether or not to attack - even though I suspect the rest of the division is waiting south of Bir el Gubi. I weigh up an assault on the Italian units that have ventured east of Tobruk. My interest here is heightened by the fact that the RN are close by....

Round 1

Round 1 is a bombardments only exercise and, apart from some counter-battery fire southwest of the port, the results are pleasing. Not so pleasing is the constant pounding taken by my units by air attack.

Round 3

I continue the bombardments, but pre-combat the 106th Anti-Tank Regt, (Royal Horse Artillery) attack the panzer battalion south of Gabr Saleh and force it to retreat.

Round 5

I decide to follow through with the attack and the panzers are in full retreat. Meanwhile on the coast road, troops from the Ariete's Bersaglieri are forced back by a frontal assault from two battalions of infantry from the 70th Infantry Division.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (143.17 KiB) Viewed 63 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 51
12th March 1941

I am too chicken (too wise?) based on previous experience, to attack further along the coast road. That panzer division can turn north or south and so decide that a cautious policy is favourite here. I end the turn with another round of bombardments.

This proves to be the correct decision as two battalions of Bersaglieri, previously shot up by the infantry attack, evaporate under the RN's shells.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (134.73 KiB) Viewed 63 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 52 - Axis Turn
15th March 1941

The 1st Cheshire Machine Gun Battalion continue to hold their own and retreat into the Tobruk perimeter.

Not so lucky were the Layforce Commandos southwest of Gabr Saleh who unsurprisingly evaporated having been surrounded by the bulk of a panzer division as far as I could tell.

The final attack was carried out by no less than a dozen artillery regiments from the Sabratha and 2nd CCNN Divisions, plus the X, XX and XXV Corps artillery....11% losses for the men of the southwestern strong point.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (164.99 KiB) Viewed 63 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 52
15th March 1941

An Italian reconnaissance unit gets too close to the British infantry at Sidi Azeiz and is quickly dispatched. The Czech battalion on the coast road mete out the same treatment to an Italian detachment that wandered too close to the airfield and Gambut.

I use the turn to bombard the Axis forces around Tobruk, although their air force remains incredibly powerful and just attack so often. I am going to have to bite the bullet and bring my fighters back into play, and just hope the furball nonsense stops when I do.

There is also heavy fighting east of Tobruk and CW losses are heavy - too heavy - and I should not have got involved in that sort of side show....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (154.08 KiB) Viewed 63 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 53 - Axis Turn
19th March 1941

Another 2,000+ movement turn for the Axis. They have so many units at this stage!

They limit themselves to three bombardments of the southwestern strongpoint.... I'd feel a lot better if I had reserves to play with....

Elsewhere the Panzer forces appear to consolidate around Gabr Saleh, while the Italian probe north from Siwa continues. They are not far off the coast road now....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 63 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 53
19th March 1941

For the last couple of turns the Air Assistant has remained off and I've not had to reset my orders. Strange.... welcome, but strange.

Once again my troops can't move without being smacked around so I decide to take a chance.

I notice I have three Hurricane fighter squadrons - two are full strength and on is only missing 3 aircraft (69 in total) and I can see I have built up a small reserve. I order my bombers to remain grounded but order my fighters to undertake air superiority missions.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (79.71 KiB) Viewed 63 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 53 (cont)
19th March 1941

I content myself with bombardments around Tobruk and also to the east as I try and cover a withdrawal by my infantry to the east toward Bardia. There are two units unable to take flight as they are reorganising but I'm hoping the RN were able to keep any would-be attackers quiet....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (106.26 KiB) Viewed 63 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 54 - Axis Turn
22nd March 1941

If these numbers are to be believed the German and Italians lost more aircraft that turn - which is something - but one wonders how long the Australian brigades can take this sort of battering.....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (107.6 KiB) Viewed 63 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 54
22nd March 1941

Not sure how these numbers work - I would be grateful for some guidance here.

Last turn there were the following aircraft:

Operational: 69 - Ready Replacements: 29 Rate of replacement: 6 per turn - Permanent Loss: 12

According to the combat report 8 Hurricanes were destroyed and 10 disabled.

This turn the numbers are:

Operational: 61 - Ready Replacements: 34 Rate of Replacement: 6 per turn - Permanent Loss: 21

So I guess from reading between the lines am I right in saying that 1 of the disabled aircraft was ultimately a permanent loss - making 9 in total? 8 of these are removed from the operational strength and 1 is taken from the the ready replacements - which only increase by 5 and not 6. Why did the Ready Replacements not increase the operational strength?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 54
22nd March 1941

Anyway, in the meantime I keep the fighters on air superiority missions.

The coastal road proves to be death alley as a unit is attacked repeatedly moving from Sidi Barani toward Bardia. I look at the air stats and this shows 10 friendly aircraft lost for the loss of 46 enemy (albeit these aren't necessarily accurate - however I have no feel for how accurate or otherwise I can expect this number to be). One of the three Hurricane squadrons goes into reorganisation. I elect to keep the remaining two flying - albeit they are at reduced strength.

The Italian probe toward the coast proves to be more than just a probe and the Indian 3rd Motor Brigade run straight into a world of trouble.

I have no choice but to make my Blenheim squadrons operational and bring in the few units available to the 2nd Armoured.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (262.21 KiB) Viewed 61 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 54
22nd March 1941

To the west at El Hamra the Italians tanks of the Libyan Command appear to be being used as probes for the 21st Panzer Division, waiting in the wings at Gabr Saleh. Two reconnaissance units are destroyed.

Sadly, east of Tobruk, the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers failed to get away and are to be carved up piecemeal next turn.

Round 1

Four bombardments and an attack by the Kings Edwards Own cavalry against a company from the Saharan Detachment is planned. The first of the German artillery has now arrived outside Tobruk and the RN targets these gunners as well as the Italian units that will be try to destroy the RNF.

The Indians fail to force the entire Italian force into retreat but dish out some punishment.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (141.82 KiB) Viewed 61 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 54
22nd March 1941

Round 3

Once again the RN dish out their shells to the same targets.

The attack by the the 106th RHA and the 3rd Battalion, Coldstream Guards annihilates the battalion of Libyan tanks west of El Hamra.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (168.87 KiB) Viewed 61 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 54
22nd March 1941

Round 5

No change to the bombardment routine at Tobruk. Meanwhile a company from the Saharan detachment further north at Bir Khadir is forced into retreat by the 2nd Armoured and are then mopped up by the 1st Rangers battalion.

Round 7

The Indian brigades turn their attention to the Italian cavalry guarding the HQ and force this unit into retreat.

To the west an Italian Tank battalion takes a mauling at the hands of the RHA and Coldstream Guards. The Italian tankers manage to retreat however.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (179.33 KiB) Viewed 61 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 54
22nd March 1941

Round 9

Damn! In my over-excited state the Coldstream Guards and RHA chase after the retreating Italian tanks. Although they destroy the unit, these valuable British assets are now within range of the German panzers.... what a bozo....

And so for the final round the Indians/2nd Armoured make two attacks - on the HQ in the north and the Saharan Detachment survivors in the south of the partially closed pocket, while the Royal Horse Artillery concentrate their fire against the tanks to the south of the HQ.

The bombardments of the Axis artillery pays off as the 523rd and 529th Coastal Defence Artillery units evaporate.

The turn ends.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (168.47 KiB) Viewed 61 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 54
22nd March 1941

The butcher's bill

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (177.86 KiB) Viewed 61 times

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

That Warspite! He's a wily fox, leaving weak units as bait for my panzers. But I'll fix him! If the dang Italians don't leak my plans.

Attachments
erwinromm..728b60da.jpg
erwinromm..728b60da.jpg (29.11 KiB) Viewed 63 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 54
22nd March 1941

Not sure how these numbers work - I would be grateful for some guidance here.

Last turn there were the following aircraft:

Operational: 69 - Ready Replacements: 29 Rate of replacement: 6 per turn - Permanent Loss: 12

According to the combat report 8 Hurricanes were destroyed and 10 disabled.

This turn the numbers are:

Operational: 61 - Ready Replacements: 34 Rate of Replacement: 6 per turn - Permanent Loss: 21

So I guess from reading between the lines am I right in saying that 1 of the disabled aircraft was ultimately a permanent loss - making 9 in total? 8 of these are removed from the operational strength and 1 is taken from the the ready replacements - which only increase by 5 and not 6. Why did the Ready Replacements not increase the operational strength?
warspite1

Is anyone able to comment on this please?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 55 - Axis Turn
26th March 1941

The RNF get what was coming to them however, more worrying was that the Italian encroachment north was not just by the Saharan Detachment toward Bir Khadir, but also to the west at Bir el Qatrani where the Free French Marines were destroyed.

Absolutely no idea how to stop the Italians reaching the coast road now - and the 21st(?) Panzer Division is at Sidi Omar....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (74.9 KiB) Viewed 61 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 55
26th March 1941

Don't really understand these screens so I'll use them just to compare relative strengths.

Turn 55

Hurricane Fighters

Operational: 65 out of 72 - Ready Replacements: 32 - Rate of Replacement: 6 per turn - Permanent Loss: 25

Combat screen shows 4 Hurricanes lost (3 disabled and 1 destroyed) during the Allied turn. The Air War panel suggest 2 losses so don't know why that would be different.

All Hurricane Squadrons are 'Dark Green' and so I will keep on Air Superiority for now.

Blenheim Bombers

Operational: 71 out of 72 - Ready Replacements: 11 - Rate of Replacement: 3 per turn - Permanent Loss: 49

One squadron is reorganising but I will keep the other two on Combat Support. Both the Free French and Gladiator Squadrons are placed on Rest.

Return to “After Action Reports”