Japan traces supply through Chinese hex(es)

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

TeaLeaf

Japan traces supply through Chinese hex(es)

Post by TeaLeaf »

Not a real problem for my game, but I can imagine it could be for other games: Japan tracing supply through Chinese controlled hex(es?).

In the picture below, Japan traces supply through the red marked hex. Yamamoto should be OOS if I didn't miss anything, but since this particular situation is easy to solve by moving the 4-3 MIL into that hex first, there is no major impact in this case.

Attachments
Supply.jpg
Supply.jpg (882.44 KiB) Viewed 40 times
TeaLeaf

RE: Japan traces supply through Chinese hex(es)

Post by TeaLeaf »

And the savegame.
Attachments
Supply.zip
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
BrianJH

Post by BrianJH »

Is there any reason why Yamamoto cannot use Umezu as a secondary supply, clear weather and 4 hexes away? I can't see any.

Brian.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: BrianJH

Is there any reason why Yamamoto cannot use Umezu as a secondary supply, clear weather and 4 hexes away? I can't see any.

Brian.

No, there isn't. However, it's still strange that the program gives another supply path for Yamamoto. One which isn't correct at all...
Peter
CanInf

Post by CanInf »

take a look at Rommel near Delhi in the attached file... I can't figure out how he has bread, and bullets...
Attachments
T5.zip
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

ORIGINAL: BrianJH

Brian.

No, there isn't. However, it's still strange that the program gives another supply path for Yamamoto. One which isn't correct at all...
Edited due to a crisis of confidence in rule memory...but:

"This maximum distance will vary in some weather (see 8.2.2). In those cases, you determine the length allowed for each path by the weather in the hex occupied by the unit or secondary source you are tracing from."

And secondary to secondary can't use RR (or road) paths.
Paul
TeaLeaf

Post by TeaLeaf »

Paul beats me to it ;-).
yamamoto only has 3 hexes to trace (he is in snow), so in this picture he is OOS. If Umezu would move west/northwest 1 hex, he could trace via Umezu.

@CanInf:
Rommel has an axis railconnection (free hexes in this case) to Karachi, convoys from there to greece at least where it costs 1 hex to enter port. Or pehaps even all the way to an Italian city, I didn't look at it that closely.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Edited: Misunderstood Paul's quote.

As for the route it seems that there could be a bug.
TeaLeaf

Post by TeaLeaf »

So the big question is:
What does ADG mean by tracing from?
- Do they mean you trace from a supply source, to the unit in need of supply? Sounds very logical, from a logistical POV.
- Or do they mean you start tracing from the unit in need of supply, all the way down to a primary supply source? This is how I've always interpreted the rules. It is literally stated so in the rules (2.4.2 tracing supply): "You trace a supply path from a unit to a primary supply source".

I think the last example of 2.4.2 (tracing supply) also provides an answer:
In this picture, the INF unit is 4 hexes away from Kiev, a supply source
in another weather zone. The unit is in supply if the weather in its hex is
fine. The weather in Kiev’s hex is irrelevant.
As I see it, this example states as a general rule: it's the weather in the hex occupied by a unit/source that needs supply that matters. In this post, Yamamoto's hex, so he has 3 hexes to trace and therefore is OOS for now.

To sum up the entire supply chain as I understand it (Yamamoto -> Umezu -> primary source in Japan):
Umezu is in supply because he gets 4 hexes of a railways supply path and needs only 3 to trace back to any Japanese city but Yamamoto is OOS because he gets 3 hexes (because he is in snow) of a basic supply path which is not enough to reach Umezu.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Illogical as it seems to us, you are right ADG considers you trace from the unit or HQ to the supply source (HQ or other secondary, or primary).

The weather ... right before that example (which I cannot see because I lack the image), is ruled this way:

This maximum distance will vary in some weather (see 8.2.2). In those cases, you determine the length allowed for each path by the weather in the hex occupied by the unit or secondary source you are tracing from.

You would be right I believe, I misunderstood the rule not on from where you need to trace but yes on which is the weather that counts, the one of the tracing unit (Yamamoto).

Return to “Tech Support”