Win XP, Win2000... Pacific War works!!! Read how!!!

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Hi Capt Harlock
sorry for the delay in getting back

thanks it worked like a charm

I put those to files into the system 32 folder and then just had to change the NT to GAM to get it to work (on the path line)

also on a side note, if you already have a shortcut to the game set up, you need to tell the shortcut where to go also, as it will follow the old path based on when it was first made

(found out the HARD way)

thanks again mate, it is nice seeing the missions and being able to make changes to the airgroups once more

HARD_Sarge
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Philodraco

not sure I follow, xp don't work or the game does not work with xp ?

if it is the later, did you go in and tell the game to run as win 95 or 98 ?

under compatablie, you can change how the puter will see your system

HARD_Sarge
RayM

I was real lucky!

Post by RayM »

I just have to tell somebody!

The good news in that I successfully installed and ran Pac War on my Win2000 Professional OS-running laptop today. No fuss, no muss. Of course I was absolutely floored that I didn't have to tweek anything; I just extracted the zip file and made a shortcut to the .exe.
aluniews

Post by aluniews »

I just got a new PC. Pac War ran fine on the old one, running Win 2K (aside from the carrier plane "Out of Memory" issue). The new PC is also Win 2K but does not run Pac war correctly. In particular, numeric and punctuation characters do not show in all parts of the game. Alphabetic characters appear fine.

mem /c indicates that I have a 619K block of free space in lower memory and a 27K block of free space in upper memory. I have also tried every trick mentioned in this thread. All to no avail. BTW, both PCs have all of the latest updates to Win 2K from Microsoft.

Any ideas what else to try?

Allen
Doug Olenick

Patch

Post by Doug Olenick »

I'm guessing it is impossible for Matrix to come up with a downloadable patch to fix this problems. You have patches to fix all other types of problems, why not this one?

I run Win XP Pro and as far as I can see I'm making the changes correctly, but it still does not work. It is very possible that I just don't understand how to do the changes properly since I ain't no programmer or PC software expert.
WeyBug

Post by WeyBug »

I have two new machines both running xp. One is an HP desktop and the other a Compaq laptop. I have the "all numbers garbled" problem on both. I have tried every suggestion on this and the tech support threads (i.e. memory adjustments, compatibility modes, create and edit autoexec & config files) to no avail. I have been playing PacWar since I bought the original way back when. Do not want to stop now. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Capt. Harlock

Graphics display problems

Post by Capt. Harlock »

I've done a search of past threads. (That's a GREAT feature of this forum!) Display problems most often seem to be a problem with the machine's support for the ancient EGA graphics mode. The cure may be an update of the video drivers, but even more often an update to the machine's BIOS was required. (Since EGA graphics mode was a part of DOS, not Windows.) Have a look on the HP/Compaq technical support website and see if there are any "flash" BIOS updates available.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
WeyBug

Post by WeyBug »

I went to the HP/Compaq support site and placed a tech support request. Thanks for the tip. I will post any results good or bad.
WeyBug

Video problems

Post by WeyBug »

I exchanged e-mails with the Compaq help people. They offered several suggestions though none worked. Their basic idea was to enable a win98 emulation mode when the computer was booting. No joy. Numbers were still garbled. The HP people pretty much said nothing useful. They kept sending canned replies without reading my e-mails.
admiralT

Game shuts down

Post by admiralT »

I use windows Xp. When I install Pacific War its works perfectly for 3 time. On the fourth time I use it; it won't load!

Bill
:confused:
Capt. Harlock

Compaq Download Site

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Updated drivers and other patches for Compaq computers can be found at:

http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp

Remember, you want an update for "BIOS" or "Flash ROM".
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
admiralT

Post by admiralT »

Thanks for the help Capt Harlock it worked

:)
wizzer

Cant get game to load on Win2k.

Post by wizzer »

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a dell Latitude Pentium 4 1.6ghz laptop. My OS is win 2k.

I downloaded the game pacwarv3-2. It wont start. First I get a black screen. Then after hitting escape after several minutes I get a gray screen. Nothing happens after that.

I have used the fixes mentioned by Capt Harlock including the downloads of the autoexec.gam and config.gam files and have followed the instructions. When I click on the pac.exe shortcut I get the same problems as above.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Tom
jcjordan

RE: Cant get game to load on Win2k.

Post by jcjordan »

For all the good it'll do since WITP is coming out [:D], I'm having trouble getting pacwar3.2 running on my gateway laptop using XP. I've done all the autoexec & config files along with the properties of pac.exe but it always says pac.exe is not a valid win32 application. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to want to read my autoexec & config files for PW which it is pointed to. What else is there to do if I've missed something?
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Try finding the "pac.pif" file and starting the game directly by double-clicking on it. This will bypass the opening screen and sound, but after all, those are just eye and ear candy.

If you don't have a "pac.pif" file, that is very likely your problem. See if you can generate one by right-clicking on "pac.exe", selecting "properties", and then doing the edits to memory usage mentioned elswhere in this thread.

--Victor Hugo
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Can't remember offhand as I don't have my laptop with me that it's on but I do think I have that file but I did go into the properties & change the autoexec & config files as well as the memory in the exe file. Was just wanting to get back up to speed on PACWAR to see all the changes from last time I played it as well as get a quick fix before WITP comes out. Thanks for the help though.
Lorenzo

Clash of Steel

Post by Lorenzo »

Please excuse the off-topic post. Has anybody a hint on how to make the old "Clash of Steel" from SSI run on Win XP? I read somewhere that the problem was connected to the sound options, but I can't find that post again... [&:]

Thanks in advance!

Lorenzo
Veritas odium parit - Truth Purchaseth Hatred
Sardaukar

RE: Clash of Steel

Post by Sardaukar »

Try for example this:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/tech/teche ... ingittorun

CoS needs slowdown device like MoSlo etc to run in modern computers in first place.

Cheers,

M.S.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

richship

RE: Clash of Steel

Post by richship »

Did anyone ever figure out how to fix the garbled number problem with Pacific War? I'm getting it on my HP laptop. Only the zeros work. All the other numbers (and spaces) are random bits.

I've recently obtained a copy of the original rulebook and wanted to try it out.
88mmsurprize

RE: Game shuts down

Post by 88mmsurprize »

Here is the easiest way to get any dos game running on an xp os:

tm.asp?m=969836

Make sure you read all the posts.
The one by Flankerleader contains info about dosbox and d-fend programs which automate the process of getting dos games to work.

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”