Best way to edit MHTML galactopedia articles? (how to add/edit links?)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

BlindOne

Best way to edit MHTML galactopedia articles? (how to add/edit links?)

Post by BlindOne »

Hey I'm trying to compile a bunch of mods together and I need to relink some of the images and text in the galactopedia to make it all look nice and tidy but whenever I edit the Resource_VisualIndex page of the galactopedia it seems to crash when I try to load it back up. Does anyone have a good recommendation on how to edit these pages? Converting them from MHTL to HTML and back using internet explorer seems to break them completely. Does anyone have a clue on how to do this nicely and clean?

Tl:dr= I want to edit links in the galactopedia but whenever I add a hyperlink, it breaks, in fact even if i resave the original file it breaks all the links...what do I do? This concerns the Resource_visualindex page, it is the only page afaik that uses links to other articles to index the resources.
Rosbjerg

RE: Best way to edit MHTML galactopedia articles?

Post by Rosbjerg »

Microsoft Word is a pretty easy way to edit and format the entires.
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

I tried using words but whenever I save the file it just crashes on me when used in-game.

I simply opened it and saved it back to where it was and that already seemed to break all the links...It did work for many other galactopedia articles but it didn't work for the resource_visualindex.

To be more precise, it seems the links break whenever I try to save the file. I tried relinking it all manually but it just seems to break whenever a link is made...perhaps I am doing it wrong? I just linked them to the appropiate file inside the mods folder itself.

As an example,

The Aquasian Incense hyperlinked to: C:\Users\elliot.CODEFORCE.000\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\DistantWorlds\DistantWorlds\bin\Debug\Help\Resource_AquasianIncense.mht

Changed it to: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\BaconWorldUnlimitedInfinityProject\help\Resource_AquasianIncense.mht

But that totally breaks it ingame. Seems to work fine out of game though

It seems I don't know how to make links in the galactopedia articles without breaking them...is there some sort of trick to it?
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

Apperantly, but simply editing in Words always works for me - perhaps it's the way you import images? The visual index was pretty gnarly though, so that might be it, I never got a crash, but I would often get rearrangements or pictures would dissapear etc. In the end I simply gave up and used another mod and worked off of that myself.
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

Words works fine for editing every other article, including pictures, but in specific it seems to be related to the embedded links themselves that are held in the galactopedia.

It has no problem with any of the new images I added and they show up perfectly fine after using words to edit the articles, it really only breaks whenever I try to add a new hyperlink that connects it to another article. In my case I added a new resource and it works fine as long as I don't use any links in the article.

Any article that has embedded links seems to crash upon resaving the very same article in its original format. Since the Resources_visualindex page is pretty much the only page that actually has this feature embedded it is unlikely anybody else would have suffered from this annoyance until they tried to add links themselves to the resource galactopedia page.

Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

For RetreatUE I used HTMLEdit. I took an existing pedia file and overwrote the text and pics and saved new. BUT I remember needing a few more steps than that, and unfortunately that's all I remember.
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

For RetreatUE I used HTMLEdit. I took an existing pedia file and overwrote the text and pics and saved new. BUT I remember needing a few more steps than that, and unfortunately that's all I remember.

I think I actually have your mod in my customization folder, it is one of the mods that I am merging.

And wouldn't you know it...you also never changed the Resource_VisualIndex for the galactopedia despite the fact that you added 2 resources to your mod (uranium/adamantium).

I have absolutely no problem with any other article except this one, it is entirely due to the fact that it link based. At the moment I got a link free version but it just doesn't sit well with me bones you get me? I want it nice and tidy with links working.
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

Some codes have a problem with any link that doesn't refer to C:
Have you tried putting your images somewhere on the C drive and linking from there?

Other than that, it might simply not be able to handle links inside an article - maybe the game can't handle that execution and then crashes. If so, then you might have to resign to simply refering to articles "see government for more info" or something similar.
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

ORIGINAL: Rosbjerg

Have you tried putting your images somewhere on the C drive and linking from there?

Other than that, it might simply not be able to handle links inside an article - maybe the game can't handle that execution and then crashes.

Thanks for the advice but again I have no problems with adding images, it ONLY breaks if I try to set up a hyperlink inside the galactopedia.[:(]

I suppose I could try and link them from a C drive location, I'll give it a go but don't expect it to work :(

Has nobody else done this before?
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

Not linking to another article inside an article, as far as I know - I've never really seen the need.

Or maybe it's not clear what you're trying to do, if people are giving you conflicting advice.

Perhaps post a few screens, that usually highlight what you're doing better than descriptions?
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

Oops I did write something incorrectly in my last post.

It's really simple, look at the resource_visualindex help article in the galactopedia, it links to all the other resources in the game through hyperlinks so you can select the resource and see the relevant page.

No matter what I do, I can't reproduce that same effect. I can't seem to hyperlink to any other article using links, everytime I add a hyperlink in the article or even save the old hyperlinks, the entire article crashes upon loading in distant worlds. It works perfectly fine outside of distant worlds though, it's not like I've never worked with HTML before.

Images and everything else seem to work fine and load perfectly normal even in-game, but using a hyperlink? No can do sir![:o]

I just need to know how to properly add a hyperlink in the galactopedia...but I fear it is not possible, I've not seen any other mod do it either.[X(]

Return to “Design and Modding”