Bay of Bengal, 1972

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

killjoy73au

Bay of Bengal, 1972

Post by killjoy73au »

[center]United States Navy vs. Indian Navy

Date/Time: 16th May, 1972 / 15:00:00 Zulu.
Playable Sides: United States Navy.[/center]

India has mobilized amphibious assault forces and has deployed INS Vikrant in the Gulf of Mannar. Your forces are to transit to Southwest coast of Sri Lanka to pressure India to withdraw forces.

Sri Lanka fears Indian military buildup in preparation to final invasion force and collapse of the government. The United Nations has requested that a U.S. CVBG be sent to the area to stabilize the region.

One of my favorite missions from Jane's Fleet Command, now set in 72' instead of the late 90's. Feedback always welcome. Enjoy [:)]

*Uses CWDB*

- updated, fixed CIV AC running out of fuel and adjusted CIV AC point loss.
- updated, fixed fail triggers and adjusted USN AC point loss.

Attachments
Bay of Bengal, 1972.zip
(161.5 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
ojms

RE: Bay of Bengal, 1972

Post by ojms »

Would it be possible to upgrade the E-2B to E-2C (1972) so that the ESM gives the specific emitter ID? It's pretty difficult to identify targets otherwise.

Or perhaps replace the EKA-3B with the EA-6A Electric Intruder?

However I assume you've done extensive research into the aircraft carried at that time, so I'll leave the decision up to you.
killjoy73au

Post by killjoy73au »

Hey mate, I considered having the newer aircraft but with a play through I found it far too easy to roll over the Indian navy with them.

The US CVBG is still insanely powerful, so to make it a bit more of a level playing field (and a challenge) I went with the older aircraft.

The Prowler started operating in squadrons in 71' but the E-2C didn't start until 73' I think. But in saying that, I've also included the SH-3H Sea King which wasn't operated until 75' but it balances out the large sub threat. - anyone feel free to correct me there.

I might include a Prowler SQN in the 'Straight of Malacca' (should be finished soon) because that will be a near peer Soviet Threat to counter.

Cheers for playing.
Excroat3

Post by Excroat3 »

About 10 hours into the scenario now, don't want to spoil anything, but I certainly like the way you switch things up as compared to other scenario makers. I almost fell victim to my own assumptions! Only problem so far is with scoring. I'm getting +250 for naval kills, but only -25 for losing my aircraft. Is there a 0 missing under the US aircraft lost event? Also, a civilian airliner ran out of fuel and crashed, and I was subtracted 25 points. Should that be 250 as well?
killjoy73au

Post by killjoy73au »

Yeah cheers mate, I'll have a look at the civi aircraft and make sure they don't run out of fuel and adjust the point loss. - Fixed

SCORE SPOILERS BELOW

Essentially the bigger the target, the higher the score. The Vikrant will get you +1000 points where as a PCFG will get you +250, losing your own surface vessel will net you a -500 point loss (Don't lose the CV, it's mission over). You won't get anything for enemy AC but you will lose 25 points for the loss of your own (All up you can lose 1500 points for the loss of all your AC). Also, completing objectives will net you +1000 points.

Score is based on punishment/reward essentially and an incentive to preserve your own forces for future operations. Downing a Civi aircraft or losing your own surface vessel is to be considered a bigger deal than losing an F-4J or destroying a PFCG respectively.
Excroat3

Post by Excroat3 »

Ok, so I assume that the civilian aircraft should be -250 points? I understand where you are coming from for the USN aircraft, but so far I've completed all the objectives and only lost 1 F-4 (and that was because of a stupid mistake on my part), so I think there should be more of a penalty for losing an aircraft. However, even with my successes, I'm only at a minor victory, so perhaps the score is balanced.

More comments (some spoilers):
I have sunk the amphib group and rescued the ambassador, and received points from both events for doing so, but I also just received messages that I have failed both those events. I assume that the timer for failing the event went off and didn't check if I had completed it or not, it just gave me the message that I have failed.
Excroat3

Post by Excroat3 »

Ok - Mission Complete!

SPOILERS BELOW
At the beginning, I rearmed all my A-7s with Walleyes, and sent the ones already armed out to sink the Osa patrol boats scattered around. After that it was a long process of sending out F-4s to snipe patrolling aircraft, identifying the ships around me, and sinking the hostile ones. There were some tense moments with sinking the carrier - but the walleyes simply overwhelmed the ship's defenses. The Amphib group wasn't a problem either. Most difficult moment was the airbase attack - I lost 1 F-4 to a SA-2 trying to sneak in and nab the Mig-21s before the main strike, but that was it. SEAD did the heavy lifting and I used the last walleyes in my magazine to damage the runways. Picking the ambassador up was a simple ferry mission, and that was that! Without the points I lost for the problem with the events, I would have had a Major victory at ~11,000 points. I liked how you clumped some civilian ships together, I actually launched a strike package on one group and had to hastily re-route them when I did recon and figured out that they were civilians!

Other than the issues with the ambassador rescue and the amphib group sinking, this one looks good to go! I would also recommend checking the "CVBG reaches patrol area" event so it dosen't run into the same problem.

Final Losses and Expenditures:

SIDE: United States Navy
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x F-4J Phantom II

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
3x 20mm/85 M61A1 Vulcan Burst [100 rnds]
40x AGM-45A Shrike [ARM]
44x AGM-62B Walleye II
84x AIM-7E2 Sparrow III
19x AIM-9G Sidewinder
232x AN/SSQ-47 Julie Active Range-Only
1x Mk44 Mod 1
7x Mk46 LWT Mod 2
2x Mk48 Mod 1
2x RIM-8J Talos
1x RUR-5A Mod 4 ASROC RTT [Mk46 Mod 2]

SIDE: Indian Armed Forces

LOSSES:
10x BR.1050 Alize
1x F 140 Talwar
1x F 149 Khukri
1x F 33 Nilgiri [Type 12I Leander Class]
8x Il-38 May
6x K 80 Veer [Pr.205 Osa I, Vidyut Class]
1x L 3011 Magar
10x MiG-21M Fishbed J
3x P 68 Arnala [Pr.159AE Petya III]
1x R 11 Vikrant
1x Radar (Long Track [P-40])
1x Radar (Spoon Rest D [P-18])
1x Radar (Tall King C [P-14])
4x S 20 Kursura [PL-641M Foxtrot]
1x SA.316B Chetak [SAR, Alouette III]
3x SA-2f Guideline Mod 1 Single Rail
5x SA-3b Goa Quad Rail
5x SA-7a Grail [9K32 Strela-2] MANPADS
12x Sea Hawk FGA Mk.6
2x Vehicle (Flat Face B [P-19])
2x Vehicle (Low Blow [SNR-125])
1x Vehicle (Spoon Rest C [P-12])

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
6x 114mm/45 Mk6 Twin HE Burst [2 rnds]
4x 20mm Hispano Mk5 x 2 Burst [50 rnds]
1x 23mm Gsh-23L Burst [40 rnds]
8x 23mm ZSU-23-4 Shilka Burst [50 rnds]
16x 3-inch Rocket
26x 40mm/60 Twin Bofors Burst [4 rnds]
11x 40mm/70 Mk5 Twin Bofors Burst [8 rnds]
40x 40mm/70 Mk7 Single Bofors Burst [4 rnds]
206x 40mm/70 Single Bofors Burst [4 rnds, Flycatcher Mk1 FCR]
24x DSTA 2 Active Range-Only
117x RGB-1 [NATO BM-1, Search, Passive Omni]
30x RGB-2 [NATO BM-2, Track, Passive Bearing-Only]
15x RGB-3 [Track, Active-Only]
26x SA-2f Guideline Mod 1 [S-75M2 Volkhov, 5YA23 / V-759]
19x SA-3b Goa [5V27, V-601P]
1x Sea Cat Mod 1

SIDE: Soviet Union

LOSSES:
1x PL- 613 Whiskey V

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
2x Generic Acoustic Decoy

SIDE: Civilian

LOSSES:
1x Boeing 737-200

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

killjoy73au

Post by killjoy73au »

Thanks for all the testing mate, discovered a simple missing ' in a LUA script that wasn't deactivating the time triggers for failing those missions. Pain in the arse.

I'll set the point loss for -250 for the AC seeing just how little losses you took.

I was thinking of doing away with most of the points actually and having it something like this...

+ points for completing objectives only (Airfield, embassy evac, Vikrant sunk , CV Transit)
- points for failing objectives, losing own surface vessels, AC, and killing civilians.

That might make for a better balance, with the absolute maximum points being 4000 with a passing grade (average) of being 2000. If I put this series into a campaign I think that might be a good way to go.

Jorm

Post by Jorm »

This was a fun scenario and an interesting force mix, i really like that yu have some older A/C on the carrier.
Mission wise, I could not complete getting the ambassador.
I really liked your grouping of the fishing trawlers, makes the player check them out to be sure.
The indians were always going to find this one very hard.

good one

cheers
killjoy73au

Post by killjoy73au »

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it.

With the Ambassador... did you run out of time or did the helo end up getting destroyed on the way? For the pickup to complete the helo just needs to fly withing 100m of the Embassy and the task will complete.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”